No more mobile GPU overclocking - has Nvidia gone insane?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by iaTa, Feb 12, 2015.

1. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    NVIDIA took away PAE compatible drivers, now they're taking OC from laptops, next will be OC from desktops. But it will be easy for me, i won't buy anything.

2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Who on Earth would overclock a Laptop GPU?

I can understand if it's not actually in a Laptop (which is probably why this feature isn't "supposed" to be available - prevent small form-factor computers from competing with desktop GPUs.), but think of your poor lap.

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    they don't want lawsuits or fail rate of mobile gpus to go up

it's pretty simple

4. Bukkake

Bukkake Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 8GB
    dont worry just a bug lol :thumbup:

5. WontonNoodle

WontonNoodle Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 660M
    please explain how an average user can accidently overclock their card

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I see some of you desktop owning people are also p*ssed off with NVidia for blocking overclocking of laptop GPUs, which is understandable if only because it might be a thing to come for desktop GPUs if NVidia continue with this trend of locking down hardware. If you feel that NVidia is out of line for doing this, and you want to stop the cancer from maybe spreading to desktop GPUs, then please sign this petition (just requires a simple e-mail address and password, took me less than 1min to sign):
    https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-enable-overclocking-on-geforce-equipped-notebooks

The issue is that official NVidia notebook drivers have been overclockable since the year 2010, and just now they've decided to remove this useful and value adding feature, that's why we're all in disbelief and fury at NVidias recent decision.

7. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz

OC for desktops ? No problem. Mod the BIOS, and have any OC u want.

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Although OC'ing through driver is easier, less risky, and more accessible than BIOS mod overclocking. I see no reason to support NVidia removing driver OC capability.

9. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Yeah, but you're describing every overclocking experience ever. Of course mileage may vary.
    For the same reason you'd overclock a desktop GPU.

10. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    You can apply same for laptops. But bios modding is really risky.

11. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Warranty doesn't cover OC'ing, what lawsuits you're talking about?

12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    It makes no sense. Such lock should be available to apply only by laptop manufacturers.
    For example MSI Ghost series can get so warm that you can't actually use them without external keyboard. But on the other hand, ASUS G751 are cool & quiet under any load (but they weight like 2x more). I can see no purely technical reason to prevent overclocking on them.

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti/3090FTW
    I think that the company can whatever they want to......it's their hardware they do not want to have to deal with when ignorant people fry it.

How can anyone say they're greedy......it's not like someone forced you to buy their hardware at any point for any particular price, or reason. Just silly how many people have "opinions" and that is it.

You don't like it......don't buy it. People on here are all on laptops or are going to buy Nvidia based laptops........? I am certain not, but everyone has some negativity to spread that is for sure.

14. masterboy

masterboy Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
    I don't think it matters i had AMD, i had friends who had AMD and drivers are awful at AMD... Maybe i played wrong games but 10/2 always had some issues artifacts/reflectings/slow map loading etc. Now im Nvidia user they even fixed the flash player crash on old 400-500series videocards,on new drivers so there is no problem with this...

Im gonna always buy them this little changes doesn't matter laptop overclocking is bull**** had friend who's laptop was hitting over 90*C under Battlefield.

Peace:)

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    They can stumble upon the settings to do so if they are searching around the settings for the graphics cards and they wonder what these settings do and start to fool around with the settings. It can happen.

Very well said. and I agree.

You make some great points and I agree. No one is forcing anyone to purchase their hardware. Also not only that It is highly unlikely that the mobile GPUs have a separate warranty from the laptop itself but I could be wrong but it could depend on the laptop manufacturer

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    That's the point, NVidia laptop GPUs have been overclockable through Official NVidia Drivers since 2010 - so people buying these 900M laptops bought them with the knowledge that they would be overclockable, just like they have been for the last 5 years.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also I have a hunch here. If someone who has made modified drivers before they probably could look through the code from a driver set before the mistake was discovered to find out what exactly Nvidia did with the newer drivers to disable the OCing feature of the mobile cards and that person could enable it again.

18. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Yep, and I've got a laptop with an 87% overclock on the core, and a 64% overclock on the VRAM and the temperatures don't go over 69 degC. Just as with desktop systems, different case configuations with different GPU cooling systems all create products that run either hot or cool - there's no difference.

It's a real shame that NVidia is blocking overclocking on the new 900M series, and they should know the uproar it's creating, we shouldn't let NVidia get away with this, and I'd hate to see this locked down attitude spread to desktop GPUs too in the not too distant future:
    https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-enable-overclocking-on-geforce-equipped-notebooks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I laughed at the prospect of someone unwittingly installing OC software and overclocking by accident. I know crazy things happen in the hands of ignorant users, but C'MON. The idea of that happening more then 0.01% of the time is funny to me. At that point they deserve to have a broken laptop.

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Amen...there's seems to be an entire generation that believes that laptops are exactly the same as desktops, only smaller and portable. Nothing could be further from the truth--all laptops are engineered around the constant of power conservation in order to maximize battery life. Every component in a laptop, including the cpu & gpu, is designed to conserve power--not for performance. The components are different even if they happen to share the same "model number" as their discrete desktop counterparts--that's just pure marketing--there are big differences. In desktops, power conservation is not an issue since there are no batteries requiring power conservation.

Also, often the laptop components are *custom* made for the OEM, and require drivers that *only* the OEM can supply, because these products are not discrete retail products and cannot be purchased as such. For instance, on AMD's Mobility driver's page, the first thing they advise is to use their OEM's drivers if the Mobility drivers don't work well or at all--which is not a rare occurrence with laptops.

Basically, if you want to game, do it on a desktop...;) You'll be very glad you did.