No more Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bboy-mass, Jul 29, 2012.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Well ive ditched crossfire for over 2weeks nd its been great.

Everything works:

vsync eyefinity
    60 fps vsync
    no blue screens
    fantastic

40-60 fps instead of 60-80 is hard to swallow (if you know what your looking for), but the sheer pleasure of everything working is bliss.

Dont think ill ever go multi gpu again.

LOL

r.
    bboy:)

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea I hate CFX but I never have enough money to buy a powerful enough single GPU so end up buying 2 cheaper ones over a few months

3. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yes, i learned my lesson, getting rid of 6870 crossfire ASAP.

4. popeye

popeye Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 730M
    As an outsider looking in, I've wondered why people would stay with it looking at all the problems.
    Doesn't even seem there is that much gain from just using the top of the line single card.
    Maybe I'm missing something? I am just a laptop loser after all. :)

Bigger/multiple screens? Is that the real payoff?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

5. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    lol, same here, i had a Powercolor hd6870x2 (worked the same as crossfire) After the skyrim crossfire hash up i couldn't wait to tear that thing outta my system and go green.

6. mangekyo_itachi

mangekyo_itachi Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Dual-X
    What game are you referring here? Just asking for reference :). thanks!

7. DanEVO7

DanEVO7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Strix Vega 64
    I have a 6990 and i love HER!!! Cmon guys.. Just because a few games dosn't work it doesn't mean that crossfire isn't a good solution. If you run to problems just disable it.

8. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Active Member

GPU:
    2080 RTX
    The biggest problem I ever had when I ran 2x 4870x2 was GTA4 only using 2 GPUs. Everything else ran fantastic and I certainly never had bluescreens or issues like VSync not working properly.

But in the end, so many people blame their user errors on crossfire or rant about stuff like micro-stutter when they probably don't even know what micro-stutter is, that even I started to buy into the BS. I went from 4 GPUs in Crossfire to 1 GPU (GTX680) thinking that I would end up with a superior gameplay experience, but in the end all I did was spend $500 for a side-grade in performance and a bit off my power bill.

9. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    dual crossfire is fine, tri crossfire can be tricky

10. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Should not have to disable a £850 pounds worth of gpu to play a game. Thats why i sold one of my sapphire cards. It dawned on me that i was disabling gpu2 more than enabling it.

i might go green again one day.

R

11. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    A high end card in 1080 P is all you need-got to 1400 or 1600 or multi monitor, you need crossfire

12. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PC VEGA64 Red Devil
    :)
    You forgot EF gaming. I game with 3x 24" monitors @6048x1200 and I need all the gpu grunt I can muster. Thus far, I have not had any issue running cfx, dunno about Skyrim as I don't play it now....

Edit - I have been running dual card from
    2x HD2900XT, 2x HD3870 X2, 2x HD5870 to the 2x HD7970 in my profile, no major issue other than the initial teething issue with the HD2900XTs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  13. DanEVO7

DanEVO7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Strix Vega 64
    Look, if you are an old pc user you should know that both companies had problems in the past, have now and will have in the future. Also both companies are great. They are way ahead of everyone else making pc components. I admire them.
    As for every company that makes software... they are in a deep sleep. They are still in 90's. And thats were all the problems begin.When i pay to buy a pc part like 6990 i know from the time i enter the shop that i will run into problems but thats not a reason to buy something cheaper. I prefer to know that my pc can handle everything, even if i have to wait for a patch or a driver update, for at least the next 3-4 years.
    So.. everyone.. stop blaming and flaming amd or nvidia. They are building a pc component that can handle every task you give them. Gpus are one complete pc in your pc. If only software was coded right...

14. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 mini/290x
    I keep seeing people bitching about problems with XF/CF......yet, my dual 6870's really havent given me any trouble i havent run into with single card setups multi times....

radeon pro helps sort out games that lack a profile but need some love, as can CCC's new profile settings.

I mean I know people do have problems, And have seen microstutter and other weirdness....funny enough, EVERY instance I have seen issues with has been an Intel build......my 790x and 990fx boards havent given me any issues....nore have similar setups I have built for friends.....intel setups....not sure why but its very hit and miss getting it working smooth in most titles....

I know AMD isnt a popular cpu anymore, and some say "amd cant game" or even "amd cant compute".....again I havent had any problems in quite some time....1055t@3.6 has given me no worse gaming experiance then i5 2500k and 2600k systems I have built(and overclocked).....and I do plan to get a piledriver chip(mostly because My board can use one, and it will boost my encoding speeds)

I dont play the few titles where intel destroys amd, such as civ v(i thought it sucked anyway.....lol) and its been over a decade since i gave a flying **** about synthetic benching, including in game benches.

that said, the few titles i run into with "microstutter" when using AFR, just change to supertile mode and bam, smooth as silk!!!

15. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    ya... NOW single gpus are fast, but before they werent enough for various games

& me back in 2008, no choice but to get a 4870x2 really

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    During the 4 years I've had CrossFire, there were only a few games that didn't play nice. I don't quite understand why people go gaga over VSync, just keep it disabled if you're not getting tearing. Also, if you're getting BSOD's, then it's likely not an issue with your CFX setup.

17. mentalpeace

mentalpeace Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 Oc edition
    Crossfire For The Win.

It delivers a massive performance-price ratio.

Never had a problem. Always a satisfaction.

18. Simkin84

Simkin84 Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI HD 7970 @1150/1600
    I could never have played with only one 7970 in BF3 on my 120Hz, adding a second card gives a really nice boost!

In Deus EX:HR i had to disable CFX becasue the ingame videos was bugged with two cards, but the game runs just great on one card with everything maxed so really no problem.