No more cracked games in two years ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    lords of the fallen sold 327,891 as of today (which is a really impressive number considering game is rather low profile), there are games much higher profile that sold way less copies on steam, simply because they were piratable on day 1.

2. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Thats a load of bull and you know it...

Witcher is a nice example of games that actually don't give a rats ass about protection and focus on the game itself ... I personally got the game out of respect since all 3 titles were bloody awesome.

3. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    Witcher3 is in top 10 most pirated games of 2015, along with Fallout 4, another unprotected game.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I think it's two completely separate worlds, neither having an impact on the other

People who pirate, don't buy
    People who buy, don't pirate

Take away the pirates, sales remain the same

5. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    not true, i know many people who pirate everything, but they bought just cause 3 because it's not piratable.

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    The odd exception maybe, hardly making any difference to the overall figures when a handful of people do that

We're talking about the masses

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    You oversimplified it.

There is ppl who want support good games buying them even been able to have them for free.

There is also ppl who want to play some games before they are even available to be purchased.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen launch date is 15 January:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367500/

It's already pirated and the torrent can be downloaded at usual places since a few hours.

8. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Maybe, just my view

When I got my FC4 code, and pre-loaded it, I wanted to play it early, so I cracked it

My game, not pirated, but cracked so I could play early - IMO that is not piracy, just lack of patience

When I talk about piracy, I mean 100% downloaded from torrent, not paid for, cracked

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Impatience and convenience are also reasons.

I got GTA V launch day from Steam.

Sometimes Social Club log in don't let me play FOR HOURS (even offline), i don't bother online gaming in this game so in fact hacked version works better for me than my paid version.

:3eyes:

10. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    your english is not bad at all, buddy. much better than my mandarin :wanker: interesting to read chinese perspective

11. fry178

fry178 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 X@2GHz
    @Extraordinary
    they wont stay the same. at least for me and all the friends/people (from in-game).
    R6 is one of my "top" games i play, even with friends that are NOT FPS-players.
    glad i didnt buy the game (free with gpu).
    60$/EUR is ~120DM (and when there still was DM, games cost ~60),
    so now im supposed to pay about twice as much without "gaining" anything of value (for the price increase), but have to accept to regularly lose rounds/games and XP/achievements etc because of crappy game/netcode?
    not talking about people losing money from messed up micro-transactions or lost xp from non working (activated) boosters, and already have one friend (out of 4) that is now unable to play the game at all (since patch 1.3).

so now im supposed to pay, just to have access to the beta of DIVISION (by pre-ordering), when the (full) game doesnt even have a real SP mode/work when offline (same with Siege)??
    pre-order my ass ubisoft...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I cancelled my 80 Euro pre-order of R6:Siege and got it upon launch for 34 Euro. That's where price felt reasonable for what I have experienced in beta.
    And what worked in beta worked afterwards for me.
    Problems in beta remained too. Matchmaking improved in last beta, high pings did not, ...
    I have 12~14ms pings in CS1.6, 16~20ms in CS:GO. in R6:Siege I am happy when I have 80ms ping. But at least their hit calculation and lag compensation is not that bad as in CS:GO.
    Even with this bad ping it is quite acceptable.

I was really hipped for Division, till I realized that it is like mirror illusion. Even at this date, everything what did not come from official source was breach of NDA. And those are like 2 poor videos. Game may be great of very poor.

13. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    I've seen various cracked software (such as audio or video editors) in where even hardware based dongle protections have been stripped out of it. If the crackers are persistent enough they can break through any protection.

However with most games these days due to online & multiplayer components simply cracking something is not enough and access to online features usually isn't determined by the software but the master servers, even if the crackers went as far as providing their own unofficial online components it still wouldn't be the same experience as an official copy of the game.

That's probably the main reason why piracy is diminishing with PC games, not because any protections are good but without the same online components you're theoretically playing a trial even if the game is primarily a single player.

And I'd say most people who used to pirate games in the past have probably moved onto cheap cd keys from unofficial retailer sites.

14. nakquada

nakquada Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Steam has a no questions asked refund policy on games now (within a certain time period/play time). Surely this is enough to demo games before you buy?

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    You say Pirate everything. Think about that...
    How many games per year they pirate? 20~30 games each $60 at moment they pirated them?
    So it is $1200~1800 of piracy a year. Do you think those people would really pay all games they want to play?

No, that person got one game, because it was not that much. But if there was no way to pirate anything. That person would get maybe 5 games 1st year, would get bored with them and next year would not even care about PC.
    Or they would get into F2P games.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016