No Man's Sky (Procedural, open world space-sim)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by harkinsteven, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    (Noticed that ship flying straight up bug myself, happened a couple of times, and each time it looked like it hit a piece of the landscape as it took off which fired it straight up, if you land awkwardly on the edge of something and then drop down slightly under it, when you take off you clip it on the way up)

Seen them on two different planets in game in two different galaxies

Not a great pic, I sent it over whatsapp lastnight

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Hilarious :)

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It's a bit hard to make out... I've never seen large insect type creatures myself, only a large cat and some dinosaur looking creatures.

Someone made this handy list of items, including how much they cost http://orcz.com/No_Man's_Sky:_Items_List

4. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    A mod to make space look more beautiful. Note: It also contains the mod that removes Chromatic Aberration, Scanlines, Depth of Field & Vignette so you only need this one.

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/deep-space/

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I got a feeling of vertigo when it happened. :infinity:

Besides CA (that i understand) i dont understand why people want to remove what gives this game its unique art direction.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    I'd call those more like post-process extra effects than having to do with the games art direction but I guess it depends on how you look at it. :)

Chromatic aberration distorts the color channel to mimic a faulty camera lens, also a bit too popular in all sorts of games as a way to make them look "realistic" (somehow.)

The effect can work OK in the correct circumstances such as when viewing something via a lens as in Crysis 3 for example and also when not shifting the color channels by a massive amount as most every other game has the effect set to. :p

Scanlines is just a post-process overlay mimicking CRT scanlines, it's pretty popular in emulators as I understand it, could perhaps have it's uses in this game too such as via the cockpit panel or similar.

Depth of field is usually just a distant blur effect, earlier games used a simpler effect just to hide distant low-detail terrain and such and from then we've seen various implementations such as attempting to mimic a human eye to just trying to set focus on a scene such as when in conversation with a NPC.
    (Or during cutscenes, generally also with a more precise version of said effect and sometimes special shapes such as bokkeh.)

Vignette is another screen overlay effect darkening the corners of the display as a way to fix focus on the center of the image as I've understood it.

It's not listed but the mod also alters color balance and the rim lighting effect as well and these impact the games visual style more directly though again that's just my opinion.

Having a toggleable option for these various post-process effects would likely be a good addition for some future patch for those who dislike some effects but like others so they can customize it on the fly from within the actual game. :)
    (Also less potential conflicts with patches having updated versions of files that these mods alter to disable or alter said effects.)

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Its a post processing effect by definition, yes i agree, but PP effects such as scanlines are used because a dev is trying to imply a certain nostalgic effect that comes from older formats such as the VHS and the CRT set which triggers a certain mindset or tone when playing a game or viewing a video that uses scanlines.

Take that away along with Vignetting (which imo implies a dreamlike viewpoint), you're left with a very generic looking game inregards to NMS...

Its not like scanlines add to the image in the sense of improvement like God Rays or AO.

But yeah, personal preferences and all, for sure.

8. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Few screens from tonights play

Had a nice sunset over some water

[​IMG]

And landed on a barren but quite eerie planet

[​IMG]

And my last stop to park up for the night was my first planet with grass lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    This game makes me dizzy...probably an option that i cant disable.

Chromatic abberation and stuff like that. F$%^ it...

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    There is a mod to disable the filters.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Sorry guys, but this time I took the spoiler route towards what happens during the game until you hit the center of the galaxy. I will not play this game anymore, I hope you'll still enjoy it though!

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    That video was funny. It makes so much fun of the people who were buying this game solely on hype, expecting it to be something it isn't. At the same time PC Gamer has a hard on right now for releasing articles talking about how poorly the game is doing in it's second week. Of course these articles bring all those butthurt purchasers to the table to complain even more. This game had such a backlash when honestly the game is exactly what it is supposed to be more or less.

15. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Haha spot on.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 2060
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:

:p

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 2060
    just lol

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I'm amazed at some of the comments on that video... I just don't understand, it's like a pack mentality.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Can't say I have much sympathy for lyin' Murray and crew or even the people who bought into the whole thing and didn't refund lol. At least you're enjoying it a lot so it's cool.