NIS Control Panel Setting is bugged when Resetting to System Defaults (Desktop Size & Position Tab)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Jan 23, 2022.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This has been broken for awhile even with GPU scaling's older version in my local tests/on older drivers. Basically if you enable GPU scaling/NIS then "Restore Defaults" via the button present in the control panel, this does NOT correctly reset the "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" -> "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" checkbox, the user has to do this manually themselves.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1) Navigate to [Nvidia control panel -> "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" tab]
    2) Note "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" is OFF/unchecked by Default (for example if you clean install a fresh driver)
    3) Enable NIS under Global Tab in Nvidia Control Panel
    4) Navigate back to "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" and note that now the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" is checked/enabled.
    5) Navigate back to the global tab (where you enabled NIS) and press the "Restore Defaults" button. Note all control panel settings revert back to their stock/clean driver install defaults.
    6) Now go look at the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" setting and note that although NIS/GPU scaling is now set to OFF/disabled under the global tab, this flag does NOT reset under "Adjust Desktop size and position". I believe this is probably an oversight and likely should be reset back to default either when the "Restore Defaults" is used.

Now, that said if a user does NOT use the Restore Defaults button and just enables then disables NIS you could argue then that the setting under "Adjust Desktop size and position" shouldn't be swtiched off as users have been able to make customizations there for sometime to force certain scaling settings, but if the user presses the "Restore Defaults" button it seems to me this flag should be flipped back to OFF.

If I'm mistaken regarding intended functionality then feel free to correct me, apologies if that's so. If I recall correctly specifically navigating to that "Adjust desktop size and position" tab then using that pages Reset button does flip this flag back OFF, but it seems strange to me that the Manage 3D settings -> Restore and Restore Defaults buttons seem to reach beyond that page into other tabs for some things, but then not for others (for example it will reset your G-Sync -> enabled for borderless settings which are under a different tab and some further settings in other tabs too if I'm remembering right). Thanks,

EDIT: As an aside another weird behavior I've noticed in the NCP is under the "Change resolution" tab -- if you I navigate there then hit "Restore Defaults" it will set my 1440p 144 Hz panel to 1440p 60 hz. This is NOT what happens when clean installing a driver where it sets to 1440p 144 hz (native) correctly. Beyond this is you actually click on the 1440p selection there it will reset back to 144 so some really wonky NCP stuff going on seems to me.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070