Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by ElementalDragon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Because that is the switches selling point. Being able to play and then take the device on the go and continue the game. It's essentially a hybrid between a Nintendo console and a gameboy now that the handheld market is dead thanks to mobile phones. A stand alone console would defeat the entire purpose and you'd have another Wii U. I would play in handheld more if the screen was better. 720p max and most games are below that in handheld mode. Looks rough. I tend to play on the tv also so I get what you're saying, but it would ruin their entire sales gimmick. I was interested in the oled switch to see if that screen was better, and color wise it seems to be, but again, when you have games sub 720p, I don't think oled can make that look any better. I really wish the screen was 1080p but I get that at the time that would have been expensive and the battery drain would have been crazy.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    1080p would drain the battery too fast with all the visual effects onscreen. Depending on the game of course.

3. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Yeah, I said that. I get it, just a feature I wish it had.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Sorry I didn't actually read it all. I pick out selective words because I'm lazy.

SerotoNiN likes this.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I don't believe I ever said it wasn't the selling point of the switch, I just wondered why Nintendo don't release a console "that is not the switch" that plugs into the tv like an xbox or ps that does not have the wasted electronics of a screen and speakers in the console, there are obviously people who would like such a console... me for example/

That said, the switch itself is a cute little system and I'm quit enjoying the controls for it in Diablo.

6. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    HaHa!

7. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I think having a second version would admit the first isn't working. And beside, it can stay docked forever, no need to put it in handheld if not wanted. Why all the extra production costs for a niche unit?

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Just seems like a waste of electronics, even the battery in it just sitting at 100% always... It would be pretty cool if there was a more powerful unit not constrained by being a tiny tablet with a battery and a tiny screen.... I've never been into portable gaming, the only other one I ever had was the original grey brick gameboy and 2 games xD

SerotoNiN likes this.
  9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Going off the add-ons introduced by Sega for the Genesis(Megadrive). The Mega-CD, 32X, etc. Perhaps Nintendo could come up with something similar to the FX chip to boost power?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Not without an nvlink

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Excellent point. I forgot all that.

12. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Anyone here buy the OLED version? There was one at a local retail store, I passed. But I'm curious as to how big of a difference the screen makes. My main issue is ...Nintendo said the system is midway through it's cycle right now. If they plan on keeping Switch around another 4 years they will certainly be releasing a Pro. I'd hate to buy the OLED and then a Pro come out in a year.

13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070ti
    I'm tempted by OLed too, i could grab 20% discount off one as where i work sell concoles. (usually 10% but at Christmas and on occasion we get a few days at 20.
    I can't see the switch pro arriving soon, they'd need another chip first.
    Anyways this thing in handheld looks very 'pro' imo and theres many great games recently released i'm interested in, also got a decent size online library of switch games.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    From my experience I wouldn't buy one. Unless you don't mind games running @ 720p and 30FPS, or 60 FPS docked.

15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070ti
    I'm huge fan of the switch and its games, i know how it runs.

SerotoNiN likes this.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It runs ok. Nothing great.

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070ti
    The games are some of the best ever made. Nothing touches BOTW.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I agree. One of the smartest and well made games I have played. The problem, or at lest from my point of view is that the hardware lets the game down a little. Some parts of the map have noticeable fps drops. I got bored of the game after 20 hours or so. It's fun to play but repetitive.

19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 3070ti
    Where i work i could grab one for just under £200 with my discount as they're on sale.
    Not gonna tho, not gonna buy a 3rd switch, was thinking that a jail broken OLED would be pretty neat with a decent OS running on it.

20. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I gave in to the hype. Store by me had a decent stock of Switch Oleds. Bought one last night. Played some Mario Kart on it. Much more vivid colors. Extra screen size is also nice. I prefer handheld vs. tv with switch. I'm going to sell my original Switch to make up for some of the $$. That makes me feel less guilty for the impulse buy. Now to finally play Botw. I've played it twice and never gave it a full chance.

What are some good rpgs for this system beside xenoblade? Lost Sphear looks kind of interesting. Has that n64 vibe to it. But reviews aren't all that great.

DannyD likes this.