Nintendo Switch!

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by ElementalDragon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
    One: I have had a windows tablet (Acer Aspire One) last 7 hours straight in a 3D accelerated game (Gothic 2). I also have an Android tablet (Asus Memo Pad) that I have played DQ8 on for 8 hour sessions, and I walk away with 20-30 percent left on the battery every time.

Two: I have a Wii U, I will buy Zelda when I see it for sale just as I have the 12 other games I own. Right now, I'm playing it via loadline install basically because I cant find it. I dont really care what you think of that because this system was a complete waste space for a year. I PREFER an emulator because I prefer the high resolution, other enhancements, but mainly it is simply because I like gaming on my pc more.

That being said I think this company is completely shady and if you want negativity you got it.

3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
  4. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Ok, a bit more regarding the Pro controller on PC.

I tried it with Street Fighter V which actually gave me a much better experience than the slightly buggy situation with Fifa17. Being able to fully customise the buttons has made it good for SF V. However, I feel the analogue direction "triggering" in this 8-direction game is perhaps a little bit narrower than the X1 pad, which means you might need to be more accurate. The D-pad is good, not great The Wii's Pro controller D-pad actually feels better to me. The Switch's Pro D-pad feels a touch too high and a little rougher texture-wise. I wish they'd just put the SNES D-pad on it and be done. I'm actually not that keen on the X1 D-pad either, but, the X1 D-pad is more comfortable, even though I don't like the actual triggering mechanism it uses. Even the Pro's ABXY buttons feel like Nintendo deliberately made them higher, but, holding it off-sets the button height. Will see how I feel after getting used to it and comparing again.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 970 Titan Cooler
    Also don't put "skins" on the system as they can allegedly damage the paint\grip.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xc5si/warning_do_not_skin_your_nintendo_switch/

6. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Just out of curiosity, are there any screen colors / screen saturation / screen vibrancy / temperature (for colors) options from the Switch menu(s) itself?

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    One thing to note with the Switch is that is doesn't look like it's designed for left handed people.

8. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I'm really happy with the Switch so far.. It really seems like the Wii-U reimagined and I loved the Wii-U.. It's... Almost a portable Wii-U... This is what the Vita should have been and it took Nintendo generations of consoles to finally figure out the fine balance..

If Nintendo plays their cards right.. Easily a 3DS killer...

9. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    Given the console's portability and its small tablet size, it seems a very odd decision to not have a web browser at release and no plans for one in the future from what I've read so far.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Opening up the Switch

11. realmadrid

realmadrid Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    trash console :puke2:

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    The only reason I say it is because of the buttons directly below the analogue stick on the left Joycon. How do you press them, and does your hand rest of them when holding the analogue stick?

13. Hughesy

Hughesy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Was wondering that myself. I wanted to upload some screenshots seeing as the Switch has a button for that. But because there's no browser you can only upload them to Facebook or Twitter. That's my only gripe with the console so far.

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    And i thought the Wii-U battery was big. lol

Well it looks we might see a lot of custom third party case replacements if all you need is a philips screwdriver, thing just flew apart. lol

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    big change from before anyway with triwing screws galore

16. Hughesy

Hughesy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Oh damn I've scratched my screen putting it in the dock. I have MS so had a slight spasm just has I was placing it in. :bang:

One thing they could have done to help prevent this is have 4 rubber bits at the edge of the screen to stop contact. Not a lot I can do about it now, but my eyes get drawn to it. Wish I bought a screen protector now lol.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  17. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    It's another really odd/bad decision by Nintendo in my opinion, just like the lack of browser.

Why did they not come with a screen protector, given the the console is docked inside a narrow opening, to use the console on a TV? The odds of scratching the screen are incredibly high, I expect there to be a lot of upset owners over the next week.

18. Hughesy

Hughesy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    There's many things the could have done, like inside the dock have something soft. Due to my health I'm actually more careful than most, but the spasm caught me off guard as I've been fine all day. I can imagine Nintendo getting a lot of complaints. I know I caused it, but there's numerous things they could have done.

I still love it it, it's not so noticeable as it was when I first did it. But after just a day I'm disappointed.

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    It might be worth attaching some felt to the guide rail things to help prevent more

20. Hughesy

Hughesy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try that because I don't any more scratches. I didn't think to buy a screen protector because I thought Nintendo would have designed it with some sort of protection inside the dock. I've had my Wii U since launch and have 0 scratches on the screen, so I'm definitely a careful person. Kids will totally ruin the screen docking it aha.

21. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I got my Switch today. I went up town and got the Zelda case pack (wanted the Mario one, but, no-one seems to have those yet). First thing I did when I got home was put the screen protector on it. Also, I've left the dock in the box and just set it up in handheld mode. I put the grips and stick caps on as well. Feels quite substantial after doing this.

Bought Fast RMX (£17) and played it. It's a fun game. The performance in handheld mode is something Wipeout 2048 on the PS Vita could only dream about. It's really smooth! OK, there's some aliasing, but, it's not noticable when you're racing. Joycons with the grips and caps works nicely and is a big step-up from the Vita. If the Switch had the games library of the Xbox 360 and PS3...wow. This would be the dream becoming reality. Massive potential here.

The thing that really tickled me was when I tried tablet mode. I configured the controls from the main menu, then, went back in-game and I set FRMX to multiplayer and tried 3 players race (there is one blank box in the bottom right) with the 2 joycons and my Pro. I'm going to be honest here, it takes the piss that this actually works and I found myself grinning that they would implement 4-player mode even when undocked. The multiplayer potential (power-wise) for these kinds of games is definately "there", I don't feel any corners have been cut. I actually find it impressive, that's despite the screen being too small to make 4-player "comfortable" viewing-wise.

I haven't got the dock out the box and don't really plan to right now. However, the scratched screens situation is a big enough issue that Nintendo needs to acknowledge and either offers free screen-protectors and something for the dock or we might be looking at a full-recall and replacement of the docks themselves.

Also, the handheld itself attracts dust quite easily.

The stereo sound is definately loud enough and the fact they're facing you makes the sound more focussed than an ipad. It's easily 3-4 times louder than a PS Vita.

The rumble feels about the same on the Joycons and Pro controller, but, I feel is actually a touch weak when compared to an Xbox1 pad rumble, though I can feel every scrape against the walls in FRMX. Will have to see what other games do with this feature. The dream of feeling like the whole handheld is shaking? Not yet and not with the Switch.

The touch-screen works absolutely fine, no suprises here and is accurate, you can even use the built-in tests to check it as well as the controller buttons etc. The screen itself is great, I have no problems with it and it has the option to make it bright enough for most people.

Finally, the Switch itself is actually quite big, bigger than I thought it would be. You will need a case for it if you're taking it out.

Here's the e-shop line-up right now (SNK jumped on this, but, why do they never offer Art of Fighting 3?);

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild £59.99
    Super Bomberman R £49.99
    1 2 Switch £39.99
    ACA NEOGEO The King of Fighters '98 £6.29
    ACA NEOGEO Waku Waku 7 £6.29
    ACA NEOGEO Shock Troopers £6.29
    ACA NEOGEO World Heroes Perfect £6.29
    ACA NEOGEO Metal Slug 3 £6.29
    Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment £8.99
    Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove £22.49
    New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers £8.99
    Othello £4.49
    VOEZ £18.99
    Vroom in the night sky £7.99
    Just Dance 2017 £49.99
    Fast RMX £16.99
    Snipperclips - Cut it out together! £17.99
    I am Setsuna £29.99

I can't help but like the Switch, this is what handheld gamers dreamed about. Let's hope the games come, I can't wait for Mario Kart Deluxe!!!

22. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I honestly think Nvidia was the key here. Seriously. Without Nvidia's investments in the Tegra I don't think the Switch would've got so much praise, especially froms devs and Unreal Engine etc. With Nvidia on-board it basically means ports can be a lot easier to do. Rather than having to learn cpu and gpu, now devs only have to focus on learning the ARM side of things. With devs from the likes of EA already being familiar with ARM from their IOS and Android game developments, it's only a matter of time before we start seeing some decent 3rd party titles.

Capcom are already considering Resident Evil 7 as their dev tools and engine has been ported for the Switch now. Although, I'd rather see them release Marvel VS Capcom Infinite.

Lot's of potential. I think a really souped-up Pokemon would pull those DS users over quite easily, especially with a price drop to around £240-250. If Pokemon and Mario could comes out fall of this year together, then, it's going to be huge for the Switch.