Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by vbetts, Oct 20, 2016.

1. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    battery life, expect something like 6hour-ish
    i guess they put wii-u backward compability as wii-u was not selling

incase you not realize it, if you combine those games on smartphone
    the handheld is current top platform
    for nintendo staying on home-console is bad moves, graphic wise it cant rivaling ps4/xbone, and they havent found new things/gimmick/function ever since wii

making hybrid is good move, not only they placing their unit as home entertainment but also the portable make their device also rivaling smartphone area which is current trending gaming platform, even though it cant simply replace smartphone.
    And also effectively compact the manufacturing cost as they now just manufacture one device, instead 2 (console - handheld)

its basically merging PSvita with PSvita-TV

except controller (pro version), it will be bundled...
    speaking of price, people been guesing around 27000~28000yen ($299 in NA)
    if they price it pass/above 38000yen... it will make people think over getting it
    console sales usually not about profit, they get profit return from games sales... so we will see about that

if you u think dev. need to develop wii + 3ds merged style, you wrong

aside usually nintendo games limited to nintendo only (not sharing with other console)
    as for developer, basically there nothing change ever since wii i believe

it just about technology improved so what in past few years bulk + power hog, now can be fitted in a tablet form
    the portability is just a "mod / gimmick" which is current trending (play-on-the-go)... more people (in japan) play games more on their smartphone over their console...

well you can guessing from pokemon go popularity i guess...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Love all the people saying they did this cause they couldn't hack it in the console or handheld market.... blah blah blah. Really? For one, they've never really tried to compete with Sony or MS in the console market graphics-wise... but Nintendo has always been more about the gameplay than the graphics. Yet they still hold their own. I mean hey... how many games are there on PS4 or X-Bone that you could ask... well... ANYONE to sit down and play against you. Slim to none.

As for the idea of handheld competition.... uuhm.... WHAT competition? Smartphones and tablets? Eeeh... not the same type of "gaming". PS Vita? Freakin thing was basically dead in the water when it first came out. There have been nearly 6x as many 3DS's sold as there were Vita's. And it's pretty bad when they say that a game that was "Particularly successful" (that being Minecraft) sold 557,000 copies in Japan alone... that's... not really saying much.

If you ask me, this is an AWESOME idea. Pretty much does what everyone hoped the Wii U was capable of.... playing games on the go. I'm DEFINITELY picking one up along with Breath of the Wild.

Picolete: Yea.... an Android tablet with a rotating camera and a removable control pad on either side. Just like all the other similar setups you can find for other Android tablets and iPads. The difference is, it doesn't seem like the Switch's display could just fall away from the controls if you were playing it while in bed or something.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    PS Vita is still a nice console, but, first party and AAA titles have dried-up for a while.

The problem with the Vita was basically the hardware specs being too good for it's time that it was more effort than most devs were willing to put in to make games for it that weren't ports. Sales numbers didn't help either.

The Switch further closes the gap between hand-helds and consoles. However, this time I think there's enough processing-power to make ports without spending so much time cutting-down on the graphics. This was a problem on Vita as on paper, the Vita was very powerful and devs built games for the initial specs, but, battery-life meant cuts had to be made, wasting dev time and lowering the quality of the end result. Most of the ports to Vita are very nice, though. However, it didn't make sense for PS3 owners to buy games twice, so, while ports in general were good, sales weren't as Vita ports were still graphically inferior to PS3. Game prices were also nearly the same as they would cost on PS3 as well, further compounding the problem, never mind those expensive memory cards.

If I had to say what I don't like about Switch, then, it would have to be the storage space included (based on leaked-specs). 32GB just isn't enough (like Wii U), especially if you want your online shop to do well. I would've gone for at least 128GB. This would've paid-off long-term. In-fact, the larger the storage space you put in it, the bigger the market potential further down the road. Hopefully, this will be addressed sooner, rather than later. It's like going into a supermarket, but, they only have little baskets, rather than trolleys.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If we're going by that, then Razer would be first with the short lived Razer Edge Pro.
    http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-edge-pro

Nintendo never said this concept was new, gaming tablets are not new. This is different in a few ways though.

-How many of these gaming tablets are supported still?
    -Do any tablets right now have full featured games? I'm not talking about mobile games on Android either.
    -Do these tablets have big first party support?
    -Even the Edge Pro, which sounds like an awesome device was very short lived because of cost alone.

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I was waiting for him to take out the Switch and start gaming while he"s boning his old lady! Haha. That is something I would do ( at times of course) and depends what game it is also. Jesus I am starting to be like Crazy Milojko. Where is that crazy bastard anyway?

The switch looks really nice might get one if the price is right.:)

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    WTF!!

I think Nintendo just might have helped make that product a hit now as what is the bet you will be able to play more BC ninteno titles from the nes right up to the wii on it via emulation than will ever appear offically on the switch. lol

7. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    My money is ready.

Zelda bundle or Mario bundle? That's the question...

I'm still looking for a site to pre-order NES Classic Edition.

Where can i pre-order Nintendo these consoles?

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Rumours says the battery life is around 3hrs. Also, backwards-compatibility was already confirmed not possible with Wii/Wii U.

9. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I'm gonna be all over this, it looks like fun.

To me the ps4 and xb1 are just really weak restrictive pcs, but nintendo has always brought something different to the table, even if it sometimes fell short.

With the switch obviously getting third party support my biggest nintendo gripe is solved.

10. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Lmfao

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well... as you said, there are no officially released specs as of yet... only rumors. So i wouldn't be surprised if they DO increase the internal storage a bit higher than 32GB... or offer different models with more storage like some consoles used to.... *Cough*Xbox 360*cough*.

Plus... i'm sure they'll include some other form of storage, like SD cards. They were on the Wii and Wii U.... can't imagine them ditching expandable storage entirely.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Sammarbella, i already reserved my Classic NES but it was in a physical store, Media Markt, in Portugal. They told me to reserve it early if i really wanted because they don´t expect Nintendo to produce a lot of units and some customers are probably going to miss it, at least the first batch.
    They also told me that the initial release date may be missed because Nintendo usually misses their release dates...

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Looks pretty cool and interesting to me. Portable Mario Kart would be great!

Three main concerns though: Battery life out of the docking station while doing some mobile gaming, durability of the swith / slide on ports of the controller parts of the console, and pricing of the hardware and games.

All in all, I find it great that Nintendo is still out there trying out new ideas. Much more love than to the other console manufaturers from me!

14. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    On that last point, i have to disagree entirely. Their last console? For what reason? If anything, i think this will be a DEFINITE sell for people who have always been a fan of Nintendo.... and even quite possibly some who aren't a HUGE fan, but still very much enjoy the games. They never really focused on graphics quality as a key point. Quality of gameplay always seems to be their primary concern, and in that regard, Nintendo always hits its mark. And i'm sure third parties will be quite willing to port games to a console that doesn't NEED to be used while at home.

I mean... it's hard to find someone who can genuinely say they dislike Nintendo. I'm sure a pretty large number of us here, myself included, grew up with Nintendo. The only Nintendo game console I can think of that i did not own was the Wii U... mostly because it did not have it's own Legend of Zelda game. Though i DID contemplate buying one recently for the new StarFox game. I've owned quite a number of GameBoy's (a name you don't hear anymore)... even have a fully functional yellow GameBoy Color sitting right next to me (even though it's missing the battery cover, which, how many DIDN'T end up missing that?). Have a ***** Will have a Switch when it comes out.

I think they're setting themselves up for one hell of a system here. It's not a home console.... it's not a handheld game system. It's a portable game console. A mashup of something i'm sure a lot of us had DREAMED would happen at some point. Taking a console experience on the road, without having to take an entire console, discs, etc... Being able to explore the world of Breath of the Wilds, whether you're at home, waiting for an appointment, on a flight, or IN the wild.