Nintendo Switch Pro Based on 5nm NVIDIA Ada Lovelace SoC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    Can't wait!

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    A little strange they'd stick to a 720p display on the device itself. 7" is small enough where 1440p or 4K would be unnecessary and drain the battery, but I think 1080p would be a nice improvement that would yield noticeable results.

Fox2232 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    For performance and back compatibility sake, I guess they'll wait a couple more years before upgrading that.
    Consumers want battery life and FHD would kill it. That or having a massive bulky battery inside, not comfortable to hold for long.

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    I Think a 1080p or even 900p screen should have at least been used doesn't 720p scale perfectly into a 1080p screen?

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    5nm? I'm surprised, isn't it that only TSMC can fab 5nm?

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I bet the iGPU will have more power than my PC's video card, which I can't upgrade thanks to the crypto maniacs.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Samsung has 5nm as well but TSMC's has some significant advantages.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Ah wasn't aware of it, thanks.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    new rumor has it that it'll be based on Ada

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Understood, which is why I said 1440p and 4K would be a bad idea. But I imagine the architectural efficiency improvements would make up for the extra battery drain at 1080p. Perhaps I'm wrong, though honestly I don't see the problem with having a low-power mode, where maybe it would render in 720p and upscale to 1080p. The screen is small enough where the detail imperfections of DLSS wouldn't be all that noticeable, but the smoothness of a higher pixel density would make an improvement.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    DLSS isn't free in terms of power draw though. It still requires processing of the image to upscale it and "fill in the blanks". I doubt that any form of upscaling will be used when you are playing in handheld mode. The increases in performance of the compute units, IPC gains, increased memory bandwidth would be enough to drive 720p no problem all whilst at the same or lower power draw than the current Switch SoC.

DLSS will kick in, I assume, only when the console is docked to a TV and there it can draw more power and use that for higher CPU and GPU clocks, and to feed those tensor cores for DLSS to upscale to 1080p, 1440p, or 4K depending on the screen its connected too.

Nintendo always want to have long battery life, every handheld they have released has had much better battery life than any of its competitors. Apart from the current Switch and Switch Lite. It's sort of a sticking point for the console, the same goes for the image quality when hooked up to a modern TV.

With this method, going for a 720p OLED screen, and a smaller fab SoC (5nm) using DLSS only in docked mode will or SHOULD get rid of both of those sticking points of the console.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Can we get the hash rate estimate for these (just to be able to determine how unobtainable they'll be)? :(

Silva likes this.
  14. Kaotik

Kaotik Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Just to point out something that apparently most techmedia overlooked, including Guru3D here:
    Kopite7Kimi didn't say Switch successor would use Ada/Lovelace, but that Orin could possibly be equipped with Ada/Lovelace GPC.
    However, Orin is targeted at automotive markets and is far too beefy for any Switch successor and NVIDIA has already confirmed 3rd gen tensor cores for Orin, which pretty much confirms Ampere (of course there could be updated version with Ada/Lovelace GPC instead of Ampere, but it's still too beefy SoC for handheld as it is with it's estimated 60W+ consumption)

15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Considering how strong was going the n3ds with that low res, i do not think mobile resolution was ever an issue. Battery and portability are. The switch has a different appeal to different customers that do not care much about resolution on handheld mode.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    That'd be the logical thought, but Nintendo have never given the slightest flying frack about quality. It's about how cheap they can make something while selling it at a drastic markup; they're the only console company that makes fat profits on the hardware itself.

Those thinking this will improve battery life... yeah it will, but not enough to make a real difference. It's about cutting costs, not extending battery life. Which you'll find out quickly as soon as they announce what garbage joke capacity they'll put it in, like they did with the original Switch.

17. jarablue

jarablue Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 960m 2GB
    No stock, nowhere until 2023. Really. Analysts are reporting 2022 will be scarce as well. See you in 2 years guys.

Was good for a laugh though.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I kinda wish nintendo went back to making real consoles not handhelds.

19. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    Best of both worlds with switch, hope we get BOTW2 with the Pro.
    Motion controls are great too.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    In that case they would also switch to amd. You see what i did there? :p