Nintendo Switch Gets Tegra-soc With Maxwell GPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 15, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There won't be any 1080p gaming and there was no way that a console in development could use Pascal already. I'm not sure even if it would be desirable to be honest. It's going to be 720p with temporal tricks if possible. And it's ok, if people want high-def gaming Nintendo is not that. They have high framerates though.

2. readonly

readonly Member

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    I could see Nintendo branching off into more sku's at a later date. Probably with pascal. A smaller actually handheld console that plays everything at 720p and has 2x the battery life compared to the switch with the potential for simple hdmi output. Then a home only console with more power than their other sku's aimed at 1080p output (and 4k video streaming/netflix etc). The key will be they need to price it extremely cheap at ~$150 or so for either of those consoles. If they have learned anything it's that there is a price that gets a console in to a lot of peoples hands and the more they can do that the more the 3rd party devs will take notice.

3. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Yeah damn cheap Nintendo turds, how dare they not have GTX1080, 4K OLED, 32GB Ram and 1TB SSD inside a $250 console. :stewpid:

4. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Hmm with this news, I guess it means this is meant to replace the 3DS rather than the WiiU - if it's going to be replacing the WiiU, this doesn't bode well for Nintendo in terms of the home console market.

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Im sorry but you are wrong about the first part.
    Its exactly like you said "a consoles lives and dies by the games that release on it".
    I want my Sony exclusives to look as best as they can so I pre-ordered PS4PRo during the announcements and i pre-ordered OG PS4 years before release as soon as it was up on Amazon.
    You can see my PC spec beats every console, but I like console exclusives both Sony and MS (I also had Day One edition X1, but right now they releasing all their games to Win10 so no need).
    I want my console exclusive games to looks at their best, thats why im ready to pay more for better hardware.
    Actually Im Ok if every console gen has 2 consoles, one 400$ and PRO for 700-800$ with double-triple the spec all released on day one, not like now after 3 years

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It's a handheld device that just happens to be able to connect to a TV if you want it to. It's definitely not a replacement to the WiiU. Arguably, it isn't really a replacement to the 3DS either since it is a lot more ambitious/capable.

7. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
    If you into that kind of "games" than yes.
    You wont be able to play Uncharted, Last of us, horizon zero dawn, god of war, numbered FF games and tons more

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    It wouldn't make any sense for Nvidia to go backwards and start producing maxwell chips again when they are already mass producing pascal ones. They'll be moving onto Volta soon enough.

9. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
  10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Meh. I thought they were going to use the new Nvidia Tegra X2 pascal processor but obviously not.

11. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X
    The last of us is the only Ps exclusive that I have any interest in. And I'm not going to buy a console just for that. I'll borrow it off a friend at some point.
    In fact, I doubt I will ever buy another Xbox or PS again. Simply for the lack of local multiplayer games, which is in my opinion what a console is meant for.

12. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
    I wont even notice if one day they'll remove MP from every single game on the planet.
    I rather have no MP and games sell for 10$ less (for example)

13. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1070 Ti FE
    Nintendo has been behind the curve hardware wise for a very long time now. He is right, Nintendo has always been popular for their Games. As another member commented, the WiiU bombed because of its complete lack of Nintendo Games. As long as this device has a good title line up at launch and shortly afterwards, it will sell well. I don't think anyone has EVER bought a Nintendo because they want to play Halo or some new mainstream type game, or expect their games to look amazing. Heck look how well the original Wii did, and that was severely under powered at launch compared to PS and Xbox as well.

14. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX3090
    The wii wasn't gaming success but commercial, you need to research about it.
    It was one off system, Wii Sports machine, Wii Balance board Machine, Wii Plastic Guitar machine, Wii young children machine (the group that purchased all the repetitive shovelware mix games)
    Actual gamers were a minority.
    This wont be repeated.
    If nintendo puts too much emphasis on Switch as portable system it will tank, portables are slowly dying, even nintendo systems are not selling as much as last gen, also it will be the first portable without direct backwards compatibility, and we already know that it wont have 3D so it cant replace 3DS (and 3DS supports DS cartridges too as far as I know)

15. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio X 3090
    Have owned every Nintendo and queued up on launch night for the WiiU with not many others. This report just makes it seem like Nintendo have ignored all the lessons they should have learned this generation. They need at least parity with current consoles or they will be abandoned by all the big names that help them pull a profit. This sounds like it's going to be so underpowered the games won't look much more impressive than the WiiU

16. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    As a home console, the Nintendo Switch will fall short and seem like a steaming pile of dog turd. As a successor to the 3DS, it seems like a godly handheld.

Either way, the glass is half full or half empty. It's up to you which way you want to look at it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Yeah it pretty much covers the bases I wanted for the handheld, which I used more often than my wii u. Better graphics, better controls, better screen and I can plug it into my tv

18. terremonde

terremonde Member

GPU:
    asus amd 6670 ddr5
    amd

I honestly thought the next system they were making was gonna use amd. period. there last systems were. oh well :bang:

19. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FE W/C
    I still plan on pre ordering one the min I can. This stops nothing for me. I am still very hyped for this thing. I have wanted something that I can play at home and on the go and this looks like it is it. After seeing it on Jimmy Fallon the other day ago, it made me even more hyped for it. Most ppl that have a console will not care about Maxwell or even know what you are talking about. I do not have a XB1 or a PS4. I mainly game on PC, but have always been a fan of Nintendo for their games. To be able to play on my 70 in tv and then move right to mobile sounds very cool.

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Nintendo also doesn't have other products/services in their business model that sell billions of dollars like Microsoft and Sony do. This may be using cheaper parts but I would bet anything that this will sell out everywhere once its launched.