Nintendo NX will use Nvidia’s new, unannounced Tegra chip

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Spets, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    http://wiiudaily.com/2016/07/report-nintendo-nx-will-use-nvidias-new-unannounced-tegra-chip/
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nintendo-nx-to-use-nvidia-new-unannounced-tegra-chip.html

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Will be interesting how powerful the X2 will be. Since X1 would have been way too weak for NX... Since Tegra X1 is far cry from something like even Xbox 1 :)

Imo NX would need tad more power then X1 level tho.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah while the Nvidia shield which had the X1 chip was very good for what it was being able to run some AAA games such as the Doom 3 remake. It would be very interesting on how powerful the X2 chip is and what kind of ARM Cpu the NX will have.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    dont matter how powerful it is if there is no 3rd party support

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true. Nintendo does need 3rd party devs as well.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i want Nintendo to be premier console like it was back in the NES/SNES days,

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    There's loads of devs who can program for this architecture. Android/ios devs no problem either. With some help from Nvidia, they could even dip their toes into some PC gaming. Then there's that back-catalogue (which everyone wants).

This is the only handheld/console I will consider for my kids this generation.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I want to keep playing mario and zelda, so i'll get this.

Got a pc for 3rd party crap.

Besides, the whole portable home console hybrid sounds interesting, being able to play my 3ds games on the big screen yes please.

9. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    So how powerful is it? There's quite the difference between the Xbone and PS3.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I think the X1 they were comparing was the Tegra X1 which is closer to ps3 and 360 then Xbox One. Considering the 0.5 tflops performance it delivers. Pretty much all of the best mobile gpus now kind of match Tegra X1.

So they are going to need X2 or something more powerful to be close to Xbox One. Premium console it won't be in the face of PS4 with 4tflops and Xbox Scorpio with 5-6 tflops. But it will have the good first party games and it should be more powerful then Wii U so that is ok.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Maybe they meant PS4? For the PS4 and Xbox One, there are exclusive games like the Unchartered series on PS4, but there are a large number of standard games on both consoles. With these both using similar hardware the development between the two would be supposedly not too much extra time consuming. If Nintendo truly will use ARM, it will likely mean purely exclusives. It could be a good thing for Nintendo if they are good, or a bad thing since there won't be any of the cross-platform games such as GTA, Call of Duty etc. If people want to play these, they'd have to have either a PS4 or Xbox One, or PC, in addition to the Nintendo. It's a bit of a risk seeing as you are requiring people to have two (or three!) different consoles.

It will also probably be released around the time when Project Scorpio is either out, close to being out, or gaining more traction in peoples minds.

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Main thing isn't even the theoretical performance, it's the battery-life that will determine how much of that power they can actually use.

PS Vita cpu could've gone upto 2Ghz for example had it not been for the battery draining in minutes so a balance will have to be found regardless of how powerful it could be. If the nx has a proper console mode, then, it's full power can be unleashed. If it's just a handheld that allows docking/plugged into a tv, then, don't expect too much.

For Nintendo games, which let's be honest here are relatively low-budget affairs, it should be more than enough. If it hits at least 10million in the first year or two, then, it'll have ports of everything within reason. Fifa, NFS, COD, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter etc are literally guaranteed releases for it so I really wouldn't worry too much about 3rd party support.

13. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    Where GTX 1070 selling in 350$? ...dummy

14. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Don't believe it.

Nintendo always cheaps out on it's CPU/GPU choice.

The most we can expect is some kind of hybrid, custom version of X1 with increased features and clock speeds.

Similar to the way in which the original Xbox had a custom GPU sitting somewhere in-between a Geforce 2 and 3.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh even the X2 would be cheaping out vs the competition. X1 would be going 1.5-2 times the Wii U. Nintendo actually had rather powerful console in Gamecube and in N64 vs the competition.

16. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    I think that you forgot that it will be a freaking mobile gaming powerhouse... it doesnt have to be as powerfull as ps4 - it already will be leaps beyond ahead of 3DS and you can hook it to a bigger screen. I sure as hell will replace my 3DS with that thing.

17. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It is supposed to be both a similar console to ps4 and a damn mobile gaming platform. If they have Tegra X1 it will be crap since there will be more powerful options for mobile gaming out by then. Sure it would have nintendos own games.

It is something I would expect out of a new handheld from Nintendo tho at this time and age.

Then again for all we know it's 2 consoles in one deal. All of this is a rumour.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  18. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Tbh, I would take that thing over a ps4 any day if I can get at least wii u quality games on the go.

19. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Loads of devs who are used to making free to play garbage games. Now try to sell those for $60 on a mobile handset that will be bought by nearly nobody.

20. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The ouya 2.0.

Still, this are only rumours.
    Let's not forget that AMD anounced 3 desing wins for polaris, 1 being the scorpio, and that Nintendo has been using AMD gpus since the gamecube