1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nier Automata

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Dec 3, 2016.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Might just buy it tonight. Anyone got it already? Impressions?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Watched the TB stream last night. The desert area was tedious and boring. Side questing can also be little annoying but when the real action starts it looks interesting.

Saw some of the bosses and damn, it looked fun. I also heard there is some performance issues on some systems.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The gameplay is enjoyable enough and the art style is certainly distinctive and nice but graphically, that is on a technical level, this game seems a bit average IMO. There's lots of pop in (especially in the city areas... it's worst even than Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Switch and that game runs basically on a calculator in comparison!), there's no borderless window mode (which would at least make up for the bugged fullscreen mode) and performance isn't where I expect it to be at maxed out 2560x1440 settings given that more demanding and better looking games run better on the same hardware (e.g. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Mass Effect: Andromeda, The Witcher 3, etc). Make it's me, maybe it's their lack of experience with PC hardware but Japanese developed games always seem to disappoint on a technical level in some way.

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Apparently the pop in is caused if you have AO enabled, i had it disabled along with AA from the start as i was playing in windowed 3440x1440. Theres an issue with full screen where its not using the correct rendering resolution, so recommended to play in windowed mode at the moment.
    Theres also an issue with the cutscenes stuttering, its not too bad but is there.
    It runs fine for me, i think it looks great and love the art style, i played about 40 minutes last night and even though i had saved it put me right back at the start, i dont know how that works or is supposed to work, maybe you have to finish the tutorial on 1 life.

I wouldnt attempt to play this with m+kb from what i read the controls are really bad, controller is great.

So far for me its damn cool.

5. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    New Reshade out, makes the game look clearer and less washed out.
    https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6976/

Playing at 1440p 60fps borderless, so far getting stable fps with no drops anything higher though Is a performance mess.
    I noticed when I switch windows power plan to balanced the fps drop starts to happen, so keeping It on high performance stabilizes It to 60 fps, even though GPU usage Is not maxed out.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This game is very good but it has a lot of issues technically that I've come across during my 8 hours of playing it.

There are:

1. If use have both Ambient Occlusion On and Anti-aliasing set to 2X, 4X or 8X then you WILL see a lot of distracting and ugly pop-in in areas where there are lots of trees, grass and shadows. It seems turning either one of them off and using the other fixes the issue for the most part although the engine doesn't have a particularly great draw distance to begin with even on maxed out High settings.

My recommendation is to turn off AA and just leave AO enabled. It appears that the game has some kind of post-process AA anyway, likely FXAA going by the amount of shimmering, so the additional (MSAA?) is not necessary unless you can put up with the pop-in. That said the AO in this game is rather poor with lots of flickering and reminds of early Xbox 360 and PS3 games. Would be nice to have a NVIDIA HBAO flag for this IMO.

2. The game's framepacing is not consistent leading to a noticeably juddery feel as you run around even when the framerate shows as 60 fps. I've found that using RTSS to add a profile for the game and forcing 60 fps delivers a perfect 16.6 ms framerate which makes the game feel silky-smooth in motion and fixes almost all of the micro-stutters, at least on my PC.

3. The level design is excellent with lots to discover with the game opening up more and more areas as you play and finish quests. It's not what I would call an open world sandbox per se but there are no loading screens during play unless you fast travel between areas. However, one annoyance is the presence of invisible walls and barriers where the game will let you jump up rocks to discover a hidden path at one point but doesn't elsewhere even though you should actually be able to jump up. It's not too big of an issue but it can be frustrating at times.

4. The way the game forces certain camera angles can be intrusive and, for me, lead to some confusion as to what direction I'm going in. It is not a major issue but there are some parts where the camera angle change makes little sense, e.g. during one boss battle I had free camera control then it switched to an overhead view making it difficult to gauge where the boss actually was.

Other than those, which may be just down to me being a cranky so-and-so, the game is excellent fun and surprisingly addictive, especially as you gain more quests. It does feel a bit slight in some ways though, the areas are huge but apart from a few respawning enemies and collectibles they can feel empty. NPCs are completely static and, like Dark Souls, when speaking their lips don't even move (makes all those complaints about Mass Effect: Andromeda's facial animations seem trivial!)! I guess it does feel somewhat action RPG-ish as you level up as you fight and weapons can be bought and upgraded. There is also some great humour in there and nice banter between the two characters.

It's not a game that will ever be Game of the Year for me but the more I play it the more I like it after a plodding first hour or so.

7. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Gaming X
    i play this game because she is HOT AND SEXY

8. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    another japanese game smooth as butter on my PS4 they know frame rates matter

9. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cool ... I hope they officially fix the game too.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    The trading cards for this game seem to be going for a stupid amount right now, so if you want to make some easy money sell them all. Like 50-60p each or so compared to the usual worth of 7p

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    99% of all Steam players have looked up 2B's skirt.....

:infinity:

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Though you don't really have to. :p

Since you can just remove it. :D
    Using the self-destruct function, it'll leave you with very little health until you recover but 2B's skirt and 9S's pants will be destroyed by the explosion.

14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
  15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Bloody hell i'll take that, I had to actually lower to 900p last night to maintain 60fps

Why GI isn't an option or can even be configured it silly. It's something I personally barely notice, and I can't see the difference in the screenshots

http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/?ctp=63#c135512305397403708

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Runs like **** out of the box on my PC. Full screen 1080p is 900p with black borders and is far below 60fps even with AA off. The mouse cursor also doesn't go away by itself when using the controller. Hopefully that mod makes this thing work the way it should.

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    You need the fix for the black borders on the sides, i had to

As for performance, it's a big boost using the GI fix.

18. Scully

Scully Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The performance seems to be fixed when I installed FAR 0.1.3.2. I also disabled the ingame vsync.

I still get the mouse cursor when I launch the game from big picture mode. When I launch it from regular steam, the cursor is not visible.

Borderless window is also not ideal because it is improperly scaled (I use 150% on my TV). I might be able to fix the fix by disabling scaling in compatibility options but this is getting convoluted.

20. Angrycrab

Angrycrab Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan XP EVGA Hybrid Kit
    Try those settings In Nvidia Inspector, you might get better fps.

Turn off Ingame Anti Aliasing(Ingame AA Causes FPS to drop)
    Turn off Ingame Ambient Occlusion(It's broken In game)

Force Ambient Occlusion High Quality In Inspector.
    [​IMG]

I played the game at 3072 x 1728 with those settings got stable 60fps everywhere without FAR,just Borderless Gaming. 4K though causes a lot of frame pacing Issues due to the poor engine.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017