NFS Shift compatibility mode

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by stenelaus, Feb 12, 2010.

1. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    Why i must only run NFS Shift in Windows 98 Compatibility mode? This is the only way i can start the game, but the fps is extremely low...i know that only 1 processor is working...but this is the problem that i confront today after i reinstalled it. I don't remember how to start the game without the compat mode!
    All patches were applied!

2. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    you could try and set affinity to cpu0 and cpu1, so that the game uses both of the cores..but i don't understand why are you complaining about fps..that ati 2600xt won't do wonders for shift, it's a very demanding game..can't tell how the hell it works with windows 98 compat mode, this game should be compat only with windows xp, vista and 7.

3. DF-1

DF-1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    a LOT of games ive seen work with windows 98 compat mode.. some games that wouldnt even start on windows 7.

sorry for going offtopic, never played shift :eyes:

4. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    1. i played it in compat mode and it sucks at FPS!
    2. 3 months ago i played it at 25+ fps without compat mode!
    3. my 2600XT PCiE card is a wonderfull gfx card...i play Bioshock 2 at high res and details and so with Shift (shadows and motion blur on medium) and Mass Effect 2 and The Saboteur at very goof FPS!
    4. if i set the affinity to cpu0 or 1 then only 1 core will work and then it will pop!

5. RaulR

RaulR Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT AE
    You should try reinstalling the video card driver you had 3 months ago. If it doesn't work, try installing the latest one. Also be sure to clean your registry and erase unnecesary files with a program like CCleaner, a lot of crap can acumulate in windows in 3 months time. And finally when you play the game turn off programs you don't use right in that moment, like YMessenger, uTorrent, internet browsers etc.
    And finally, after two patches, the game is still bugy i think. I reinstalled the game three times since i got it, and every time i have to chose another control options for the Xbox 360 controller, just an example.
    Good luck!

6. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    atleast compatibility mode works for some, not me. i did a format and since i installed shift again it gets as far as the first loading screen then hangs about a third of the way loaded! ive been trying to figure it out for a week but its still wont go past the loading screen despite all the *fixs* ive tried :(

7. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Strange you would need compatibility mode for NFS Shift. Running it fine in Win 7 x64 here with no issues what so ever. Actually it runs great.

8. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    when you run the game without compat mode, what does it say? what error it gives you? search google for some workaround.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i had to use winxp sp3 compatibility mode in win7 or i got like 7-10fps less, and if i compare that to the lowest recorded 43 vs 52 fps matters allot, anyway with 1.02 patch they fixed it so i don't have to force it anymore and get the same fps or a little bit better..

you could try latest patch if you haven't already.

10. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    When ever i play mine i get a build up of graphic corruption after about half an hour. Little squares that gradually get worse. .... Is there an issue with ATI cards?

Cheers.

11. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Everyone Im seeing that has issues with nfs shift all have ati cards. Drivers im guessing.

Game is a flawless beast on my gtx260, has never even crashed and ive logged well over 500 races.

(ps not being an nvidia fanboy, Im just trying to figure out why all the threads about shift and performance issues seem to be ati cards).

Whats ironic is my laptop with the ati hd3100 crashes as soon as it gets to the part where the driver gets control of the car even though the frame rate of the real time rendering was fine before taking control.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  12. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010