Nexus 7 in an infinite startup loop animation...common problem?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by FULMTL, Mar 11, 2014.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Dammit, not sure what caused it. Before it happened, I noticed the tablet was acting sluggish. I wanted to restart it, to see if it would help. Then it got stuck in a startup animation loop.
    I've erased all the data with a factory reset with the power+volume keys, but it still didn't help...I've also unplugged/replugged the battery and it didn't do anything.

Not even sure what I should be doing. Take it to a store to have it looked it? Do I need to flash it?

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hit up this thread. You'll need to do some setting up (there's a guide included with the software) and then you'll want to select whatever N7 you have, if you don't remember the build "any build" and then do Flash Stock + Unroot soft-bricked/bootloop.

If that doesn't work, let me know. Also, if it doesn't work, let me know if the program throws any error messages. I can't remember if it shows them on the computer or the tablet.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I have a Nexus 7 2012 wifi version. The bootloader version says 4.23 but I don't see it available to download. Do I just get 4.2.2 or can I use 4.3?

I just get a "fastboot device not deteted" error when trying 4.2.2. The computer doesn't recognize the device.

Trying to do it again and it will redownload what appers to be a large file that I don't know where it's at...
    Says to enable USB debugging mode, but of course, I can't even get into the device to do that.

I bought the tablet in Japan, if that makes any difference.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Try both, worst thing that happens is it doesn't fix it. It won't break it any more. If you didn't already, make sure you've done the "full driver installation guide". The program won't work until you've done that. I don't think it'll matter that you bought it in Japan. It should do any nexus device.

I remember when I had an issue with mine being soft bricked, I just wasn't selecting an android version the program liked. Just play with it. I know it's time consuming, but I swear that program is magic.

If playing with it doesn't work, I'd suggest asking around for help on that thread I linked you to. I've had that guy directly respond to a question I've asked.

Best thing I can tell you is don't freak out :D I almost always freak out when doing stuff to one of my devices doesn't work out.

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I gave up :(

Keitosha likes this.
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Problem is my device version isn't listed. It's version 4.23
    Can't even get the device recognized by the PC.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Your device is one of those wifi models listed. I'm positive of that. Put the device is fastboot mode and tell me what the product name and variant is showing. It should show other info as well but that's not needed.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I actually remember mine doing that even when it was functioning "properly". I'd still suggest posting for help on wugfresh's thread. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to do.

10. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Well ****, I fixed it.

[​IMG]

Why didn't the instructions tell you to unlock it first before even doing anything? I feel stupid. Wasted days trying to fix it, and it was fixed in about 15 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Keitosha likes this.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Congrats! I honestly didn't even know it needed to be unlocked. I'm just always unlocked so I never ran into that issue.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Glad you got it fixed.

13. bilbander

bilbander Guest

GPU:
    Asus Nexus 7 32g
    Hi I am stuck in a bootloop with the Erasing after upgrading to 5.1 on my Nexus 7 tablet wifi 2012. I cannot get to the bootloader and cannot use a USB ABD or anything I just cannot get out of this Erase boot. It tries to erase but cannot and then it gives me the dead android and when I reboot it goes back to erase again.
    I can see the text sometimes as it tries to erase but it always fails and then back to reboot erase again.
    The tablet had been freezing so I upgraded to 5.1 and then tried a factory reset erase all data and this is when it all went wrong.
    I have even flattened the battery hoping i could then get into bootloader but still it goes to Erasing. Help if you can thanks.
    Bill

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Have you tried using the Wugfresh Nexus Tool Kit? there are several things you can try with it that should hopefully get you out of the boot loop.

As for 5.1 being an upgrade I will have to disagree! Every update they release makes things worse, there are multiple threads on the google forums which may well be worth checking out if you haven't already - there could be a solution in there somewhere: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/nexus/nexus-7

15. bilbander

bilbander Guest

GPU:
    Asus Nexus 7 32g
    Yeah I have tried wugfresh but I cannot connect with USB so how would that help?
    It just boots straight into Erase.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Found this on another forum:

Update: problem FIXED!
    I received helped from Hikari on Android Authority forums. It turned out that I had a mild (but blocking) hardware problem. I removed the back of the Nexus 7 and pressed down on all connections, including a both ends of a metal "tape" that were peeling up from their contacts. After doing that I was able to once again get to the Recovery mode screen from the boot loader.

Wow! My problem was fixed by this too! I had a problem at step 9 of this but opening the back of the Nexus 7 (2012), pressing down on a few things (nothing obvious was loose), and closing the back up again caused step 9 (and the rest) to work! I now have a fully functioning tablet again. :) Thanks, barry.holroyd and Hikari, whoever you are!

Source:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/nexus-7-stuck-in-bootloop-cant-reflash-factory-image.851807/page-2

--
    If the tablet had been freezing prior to updating, it's possible something has been working it's way loose for a while and now finally enough to cause this problem

Maybe the USB port if you can't use it

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Does it reboot automatically when it shows the dead android? Or stay on that screen until you force reboot it?

If it stays on that screen you should be able to access the BL

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015