Next Gen Nvidia to be called "Ampere"

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Evildead666, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970 G1 @ 1.54GHz
    I'd also like it to cost less than a left nut so I can buy one without feeling like I've been violated.

Monchis likes this.
  2. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Why would anyone pay another $300 for x60 level cards when such cards already need to turn details out of the box to play smoothly at 4 year old console resolution, so short lived... $300 for another 30% is not gonna cut it to play games at $400 ps4 pro´s 1800p resolution smoothly, what a joke.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yayyyyy

Nonsense post for the day has been made!

GTX 1060 3GB/6GB can play most games, even todays games, at 1080p, on highest quality.

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 970 Strix
    I miss named cards, the Banshee, the Voodoo, the Viper, the Riva.......miles better than i got a GTX1070. lol

5. fry178

fry178 Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1060/6GB@2GHz
    @Monchis
    cause not everyone likes to play up to date games at the low texture/detail settings/and 30fps the consoles do.

im running a 1060 right now that can do R6 Siege at 1080p/60fps with LOD on ultra, texture and shaders on high, shadows and reflection maxed out, HBOA running on quality,
    when the game is actually horribly coded/optimized.
    the console release is limited to med/low.

besides the fact that i have multiple times more options and even things to switch on/off that consoles don't offer.
    i can easily swap image quality for frame rate and the other way around.

6. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    One of the reasons I moved onto pc gaming was the superior resolution and IQ, but before all this hard milking started, $300 would get you twice the resolution of consoles, not the fricking same. As a matter of fact, last time previous consoles were 4 years old, an $80 card would get you 50% higher res @50-60fps... same thing happened with xbox 1, ps2. gtx2060 probably is gonna be like the 960, so crippled that is gonna lose to the previous "gen" card in at least one game in every review.

7. fry178

fry178 Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1060/6GB@2GHz
    that will always be the case, especially over time when devs can max out the console hardware since specs are fixed for all of them.
    pcs have too many configs to cover (hardware/software) to squeeze similar performance out of "normal" stuff.

besides that. going with higher res will leave them in the dust, especially since native output is 1080p, anything else just upscaled.
    and i wont expect a pc to do 8K for "100$" more when the consoles switch to native output in UHD.
    the constant gains of the past 10-20y are not gonna happen that often anymore,
    and performance wise cards might have been a bit more expensive, but not when it comes to the "top two-three" chips when compared to the past.
    nor do i blame Nv for mining-prices in retail..

similar with cars.
    look back 10-30y what a lambo/porsche/ferrari usually would cost and how fast it was.
    compared to back then, the cars got more expensive when looking at the gains (300 vs 500HP, 180 vs 210mph) but not in overall cost.
    a porsche turbo in the 70's was about 50K in germany or half what a house cost to buy,
    now it sells for 100-150K and a house for 250-300K.

8. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I don´t think there is any justification as to why, all of a sudden, midrange and budget video cards wont keep the pace of consoles when it comes to resolution, I see only greediness. The milking got exposed by ps4pro and now xbox X.

9. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI X GTX1080 8GB
    Bring it :) Looking forward to high fps 4k :eek:

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
    Well Monchis, you're basically getting priced out of the PC gaming market. Even consoles like Xbox One X has to release at £450. If we look at the equivalent AMD card, the RX580, well, that card alone on PC is around £249 for the cheapest one with many brands going over £300. Might be worth you having another look at console gaming, because it's not going to get cheaper on PC, especially with next-gen Nvidia on the way. Remember that companies like AMD and Nvidia only get money from hardware sales, they don't have extra income from things like royalties for games sold and services etc. If Microsoft didn't have those extra forms of income, then, the Xbox One X would easily cost £650-900~ each.

11. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The thing is that this time around consoles are so crappy that they are making money off them, and still graphics cards are hitting all time lows when it comes to bang for buck against them. We will see if the next cards are next gen or a rehash. As for getting cheaper or better, it´s just a matter of competition, when they stop this little game of not stomping on each others segments cards will get better overnight.

12. konta

konta Active Member

GPU:
    gigabyte g1 1070
    i completely agree with the previous post and an analogy with cars from 70s to now is not even remotely plausible... in that equation you have like 50 years of inflation to account for lol, here the jump happened in like 1-2 generations, hardly 50 years, more like 3-4...

also making cars faster has a hard limit, you just cant make them much faster than they are now and even if you could how do you control such speed, on how many km would you have to change your tires at 1000 km/h? see there are a lot of hard limits if we talking cars, both human and machine ;)

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 Gaming X
    We're reaching near the end of what's possible with shrinking the tech down and increasing transistor counts. I really wouldn't expect much in the way of big leaps in performance without increasing die-size, heat and power consumption. We can expect poor yields and high prices moving forward.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti @2GHz silent
    Next gen AMD to be called "Hamper(ed)"
    Hehe.

15. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX480 Strix
    Haha, that's pretty funny.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 980Ti Amp!Ext
    There is no consumer Volta and they already troll about a new one.. sheesh xD

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're basing a comparison off of a comparison that can't be compared.

What, did you expect consoles to run at 720p forever? or even 1080p? Or did you expect we should be gaming at 8k with medium to low hardware on a PC?

Your expectations, no matter what they are, are completely unrealistic, show no understanding of how hardware progresses, and very definitely shows how limited your vision is by only comparing resolution, and not caring whatsoever what the settings a console is set to compared to PC, then comparing the PC with those exact settings to itself.

Yes, you don't see it, because you refuse absolutely to understand the basicness of any of this. Literally, you just decide you want to believe what you believe based off of absolutely nothing.

But when someone compared gflops of previous gen consoles to PCs back then and do the same now, you'd find the difference hasn't changed much

As well when people compare the specs of consoles back in the day, and PCs, you'd notice that PCs have stayed the same, mostly, in its increase. But with consoles becoming more complicated and more like a PC every generation (looking at you xbox one) they have increased massively.

It's like you are mad at consoles because they have done a better (but not good still) job at putting good hardware that actually makes sense into their systems, and instead of taking that out on the consoles, you take that out on the PC graphics card market. Good job?

I mean either way you shouldn't take that out on anyone. The PS4 pro and xbox one x are the closest i have seen to a decent release of a console compared to modern computers, ever really. And that literally has nothing to do with PC components, that has everything to do with the console manufacturers realizing that they need to actually put decent stuff in their systems if they want to continue to do things like 4K.

And if you are upset that a console can put such decent hardware in their system for so much less then you could a PC. Well duh. Don't you remember the PS3? Where the system cost $499 on launch to purchase yet cost Sony $806 to create?

Console developers generally lose money, if not a lot, when they release a console, in hopes you will buy games and components to make up the loss.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017 at 10:17 AM