Next $200 or under upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nixuz, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Nixuz

Nixuz Active Member

GPU:
    5770x2 Crossfire
    Ok, this is what I am running now, and I plan to drop another $200 on the system in the next month or so.

Case: Xclio A380 With one Sythe Ultra Kaze 120mm running @ 3000RPM for exhaust.
    PSU: Rosewill RD500 480wt.
    Mobo: ASUS M4A78 Plus
    RAM: OCZ SLI Ready...(yeah, I know) DDR2 2GBx2 @800Mhz
    CPU: Retail Phenom II 550BE @ 3.1Ghz
    CPU Cooling: Arctic Cooling AC Freezer Pro Rev.2
    GPU: HIS 5770 1GB @ 950/1250
    Sound: CL SB X-Fi Xtreme PCI
    HDD: Seagate Barricuda 500GB+1TB both 7200/32MB cache.
    DVD-R: Lite-On 22X...IDE!
    Monitor: Acer X223w

Now I know EVERYTHING in this could be upgraded, but I'm trying to do this a bit at a time. I got the 5770 for DX11 and for a future xfire. I've also been looking at either a 965 or 1090t, but am not sold on the 6 cores yet, although I do a small amount of vid editing and transcoding. Also on the table is the CH50, although the ACFreezer is doing a fair job.
    Lately been playing StalkerCOP, SC2, RE5, BC2, and Fallout3. Looking at Metro2033 and some of the other new games.
    Without a complete overhaul of uber-goodness, what should I be looking at next?

2. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    the best upgrade you can do in my opinion is either the processor or the PSU.
    going from a 550BE to my current one was a significant increase in performance. + the fact that AMD can disable cores not in use and OC the other cores is awesome.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    If the PSU is working fine, then no need to replace it just yet. Although it might be running close to its limits if you get a 125w quad or hexacore and overclocks. You don't really want to run a PSU at over 65% on a regular basis.

From the games you're playing, Id suggest an upgrade to quad or 6 core.

4. Nixuz

Nixuz Active Member

GPU:
    5770x2 Crossfire

5. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080
    well he said he wanted to do xfire at one time so... thats the reason for that.

6. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    while you wont notice a performance gain with a new psu (the one that was linked, seems a bit too expensive for 750watts), it is, in the long haul, most likely the best choice for your system.

7. Nixuz

Nixuz Active Member

GPU:
    5770x2 Crossfire
    Well, the reason it's expensive is supposedly it's about one of the best, most efficient, and best constructed PSU you can get. And I do want to grab another 5770 around Xmas or January.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
  9. die4die

die4die Member Guru

GPU:
    sapphire 5770
    ssd

it's all about the ssd(s) these days....can't go wrong with em if you looking for a good performance increase.

10. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    You should really get a better quality PSU, Rosewill is ok, but not really gamer grade imo. Get a 700-800 watt or so PSU for around $75 and save the rest to put towards your next 5770. I'd stick with the CPU that you have for awhile (maybe OC it) and then get a quad or hexacore when you upgrade your mobo down the road...

11. Kalish colt

Kalish colt Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870
    Aim for the best quality/value spectrum I say!

12. Nixuz

Nixuz Active Member

GPU:
    5770x2 Crossfire
    Well, thanks for all the help. I guess I kind of had an idea in play myself, and it goes like this:
    $150-200 per upgrade.
    About 3-4 upgrades.

I was thinking, the SeaSonic PSU, the quad 965 (as the 1099t is a bit overpriced and does the same job), and then another 5770. After that, maybe the Corsair h50-70. With those core components in place, I can hope for a RAM price drop and new mobo next spring.
    I do appreciate the ideas though. I just figured this way I can go:
    PSU=180
    CPU=180
    5770=165
    I guess I'm pretty satisfied with my monitor, KBM(G15), speakers, case, and hard drives.
    I am into the idea of SSD, but it doesn't seem too geared towards gaming performance just yet.

13. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    SSD is the best upgrade youll ever get. It makes the system feel so much snappier and a pleasure to use. Best way to desribe it is no more egg timer (or rotating circle thing in vista/7). Everything literally loads instantly, from the moment you log in.

SSD for sure.

14. Nixuz

Nixuz Active Member

GPU:
    5770x2 Crossfire
    I do understand, but overall system snappiness isn't really as important to me as actual in-game performance, and the SSD's are nice. But it seems they don't help a whole lot with framerates, just getting to the game.
    Perhaps I am wrong.
    To make it more clear, I understand the attractiveness of instant start of programs, but considering the price, I could honestly wait 20 more seconds for the same game performance.