[news] DX11 Wonder Driver will be ”337.xx” and Arrive Sometime in April

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by maur0, Mar 31, 2014.

1. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    Remember the wonder driver from Nvidia that showed massive performance increases on the DX11 API? Well we have some more information on that front. Nvidia has revealed in its GTC conference that it will be releasing said driver sometime in April and its nomenclature will be “337.xx”.

[​IMG]

Nvidia Releasing the “337.xx” DX11 Wonder Driver in April – CPU Overhead Solved on the Same API

Nvidia revealed in a talk at GTC that the DX11 API update that was showcased on the previous GTC session will arrive in the form of a Geforce Driver, more specifically the Geforce 337.xx Driver. It will be released sometime in April and will result in very significant performance gains inside the DX11 API itself. The new driver takes a well known approach to solve CPU overhead without moving to a new API (DX12 for example). The approach is called ‘Tiled Resources’ and a weak variant of the same is also used in Mantle API. This will also grant Developers more control at the Assembly level.

The numbers revealed by Nvidia were very impressive, especially considering that Low Level access is not possible without a rewrite of the API, this is pretty impressive. Ofcourse, the benchmarks themselves came under criticism because of the fact that a very high end processor was used to test a supposedly “CPU-Overhead-Reducing” Driver. However the performance gain on that very same processor just by shifting to this new driver is quite decent.

Now the numbers that were released showed a decrease in CPU overhead by a factor of about 4.This should result in a performance increase of leaps and bounds in multi-gpu configurations. Of course the fact remains, that if these charts were rigged or manipulated by Nvidia in any way, we will find out soon enough. When the driver is released and third party benchmarks emerge, it will become clear whether Nvidia was true to it word or not.

[​IMG]

In another slide, NVIDIA has shown the performance scaling between GPUs and CPUs showcasing that the Single precision performance in GeForce GPUs has increased tremendously over the past four years with GeForce GTX 780 Ti pumping almost 5.5 TFLOPs of performance compared to Ivy Bridge which barely cross the 500 GLOPs barrier. The AMD Kaveri APU manages to do 856 GFlops but its still a mighty length behind the graphics units. Similar, the total bandwidth on GeForce GPUs has increased to 336 GB/s as opposed to 60 GB/s on Ivy Bridge. Broadwell is supposed to feature Crystalwell eDRAM which will increase bandwidth to around 100 GB/s but nothing compared to GPUs.

[​IMG]

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    We knew this already.....

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    it would be much better to link to the content you're referring to...
    ok... according to Google this is the original article

http://ow.ly/vdrf8

4. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    Hmm, I fail to see the reason to have those improvements before 340.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Tomatoes on eyes?

6. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
  7. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I fail to see the logic in your comment.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    why? I also doubt this 337 will be that full boost to the max driver.

When nv completely removes all legacy parts then it should help to the max :D, no more hotfix hacks for older gpus by certain games, etc..

9. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    So make me understand, you think this driver will be in april, or in april some other driver, and not this that everyone is talking about...

10. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I don't think the removal of he older card will have the impacts you expect

11. NHK

NHK Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    Like most performance drivers, some will gain, some will lose and we will all rage at whos placebo effect is correct.

There is no spoon, so no cheerios for you!

12. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    But what's the point of making driver specifically for DX11 and includes those improvements BEFORE ripping DX10 support out?

13. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Driver size?
    And ya, DX10 graphic card support DX11 api, feature level 10, I wonder this can be the case or not.

14. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    You seriously think they are doing it for the size?

15. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Nope, and I just edited.
    But yes, it may be the optimize is too hard to works on DX10 feature_level only, so they focus on DX11 feature_level graphic card, then after remove DX10 graphic card, they just land it.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I don't think dropping support by in itself improves performance .
    It helps them to focus drivers on newer hardware and not worry/test for old stuff .

17. ze1t

ze1t Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    I was hoping for this to come out today :(

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I think you're right, and we don't really know how much time Nvidia spends on the DX10 cards nowadays either.

I don't get why people think that dropping regular support for older cards automatically means better performance. Nvidia has improved the drivers for Fermi and above ever since those were released.

19. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    I suppose the improvements are for the mentioned card only?

20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    DX9 was maybe optimize already to its best and DX10 isnt worth it.
    So doing it for DX11 and then using a solid base for Dx12 is what i Think.

I dont see why it matter that DX11 improvement come before ripping the dx10 cards. Not related in anyway.
    Btw its not DX10 supports thats been ripped out but the olders cards that their max hardware features is dx10. All dx11 also work with DX10.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014