Newest Rambo and its Violence

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by thejamppa, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I don't know about other countries, but in the UK, this film was rated 18... and if you're over 18 and you think the film is too gory... well, you have two choices:
    don't watch violent films, OR alternatively face the fact that there is a hell of a lot of nasty stuff that happens in this world, much worse than what you see in the Rambo movies, and to turn a blind eye and pretend everything is all pixie dust and roses is just sad and disrespectful.

You can probably tell which which option I choose.

2. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I agree ! But still a little more story !

3. lillelj

lillelj Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 675M
    Yeah, about the weapons. We were shown a "realities of war" video here on camp not so long ago. If you are unlucky enough to be in a position where you are being fired upon by a .50 cal weapon system...you better make your peace with god, and quick. Whether you are hit or not, you're fcked anyway. if the rounds are passing even remotely close by the effects are sickening. The "realities" of war, are not something even the most hardcore of action film civilians would enjoy watching, please trust me.
    there are many weapon systems that would easily rip your limbs off without even hitting you. Just pass by. think mounted weapons though, rather than personal weapons.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Rambo in any case. Maybe next week.

4. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I saw Stallone being interviewed and he said he wanted to show what happens to bodies when a particular weapon is used. He said if you get hit by a 50 calibre there is nothing left, maybe an ear (i'm paraphrasing).

The review said it's just violence, that's all the film is, more Stallone action remake bollocks.

What's next? Demolition Man - The withdrawal of the pension. Tag line, The Demolition Man has been short changed on his pension, and he is pissed, he is REALLY pissed, but this time, this time, he has a zimmer frame with built in lazer guns.

5. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    I never "advertised" it. I just said that it was much worse then the hockey player who got his throat slit by a skate. And as far as the nasty link I posted,well some people never really know what bad things can .50 cal. So I posted some real $hit. Not that Rambo thingy.

6. TheLom

TheLom Active Member

GPU:
    1x eVGA 8800GTX @700 & 2200
    I'm not sure what exactly do you call so violent and gruesome about that movie I personally thought it was a funny ass movie.

7. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    It's nice to see a classic 80s action movie remade. 80s movies were the best. No CGI, so it was made up with 'splosions, fake blood and real martial artists/bad actors.

8. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Movies are there mostly to entertain people, not educate them about the horrors of life.

The kind of gore that you describe would surpass the R-rating and will never come out to the screens.

As far as I am concerned, I don't think that people should own handguns, let alone a .50 cliber.

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    where in the title of "Rambo" do you see "discovery channel presents"?
    theres no need for uber realism in fictional movies, thats why they have videos of actual war...lots of them mind you, with a movie, everyone knows their watching a fictional movie with fictional characters and therefore fictional physics. people in general know what real war is about and is the reason why the majority of people dont want anything to do with it.

people know where to go to see real war captured on film, plenty of those out there. last one i saw was of WW2 seeing all those dead jewish bodies being bulldozed into a big open pit and buried.

10. GSB

GSB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    Snakes on a Plane is on HBO and I watched 5 minutes of it and was disgusted when a giant snake ate some guys head. Would rather watch Rambo instead, lol.

11. thejamppa

thejamppa Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 460 768mb SC
    Its known that TV gives wrong idea to peoples. Even people here would consider it for entertaining and such...

Peoples are still very, very easily affected by TV. Especially young peoples who just go download Rambo and such of the Isohunt and similar.

TV is the major factor which affects peoples and their behaviour, especially young peoples and kids, who are more and more left alone when parents are working.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    seems to me, imo anyway, that anyone who's behavior is changed in anyway based on what they see on tv, must have a (lack of better word) weak mind and no willpower.

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I agree completely, to a degree.

Movies can obviously make us happy, sad, disgusted, angry etc, which does not really indicate weakness. But for people that blame games and television for their own psychological problems or actions must be dysfunctional anyway.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i meant strictly behavior not emotion. but i dont watch tv much and rarely get into anything so what do i know

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Personally I'm ok with just about anything as long as it's fiction but I have trouble with it in the real world.

16. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Watching a powerful movie can affect a person on many levels. But usually it is very temporary. But this is really no different than watching a play, or a symphony, or many other forms of "entertainment". Unless it's "real" footage, I always have a sense of it being "entertainment" only, it's not that I'm actively thinking about it - it's just the way I view it.

17. This movie kind of sucked imo.

18. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Rambo's awesome! 'nuff said.

19. What, don't I have the right to express my opinion here?
    I liked all Rambo movies, but imo this one sucked; special effects were the only good thing.

20. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    Huh? And you don't need to repeat yourself, you've already said you thought it sucked...