Newest Games Rating Chart (SPOILS)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by St3nic3, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    That is the point of L4D, fun. It has no real story. It is made so you and some friends(optional) can have fun trying to survive hordes of zombies and if your playing vs mode, some asshat people trying to eat your innards. I find the whole experience great. With human players you never know what is going to happen. As well I feel the AI director does do what it is intended to do. It is intended to vary the game experience so you do not have the same thing twice. I do not know how well it does on multi as I am usually getting my liver ripped out, but on single player it does change the level design a bit, and intends to make it a fast, run and gun type game. I am sorry you do not enjoy it. I play games for fun(so if you see Rochin online and I am doing stupid ****, sorry its just me having fun.)

2. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Master Guru

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Yeah, it was obviously an actual joke. Notice his user name? Cliff Blezinski was the lead designer of the GoW series.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    everyone has different opiniions on games which result in different ratings based on that. its meaningless.

do what the pro's do. break it down to elements. judge each element based on a series of factors. dont just say storyline sucks, graphics baddass, thats childish. you must break the storyline and review it in terms of voice acting/scripts...etc.

let the reader judge! thats very important. dont force it. explain each factor in each element for what it is.

4. peter_molyneux

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    The "pro's" pretend like they are evaluating games fairly but they really aren't. If the game is massively hyped and by a big-name developer and/or publisher, it will get a high score even if it sucks horribly.

If I wanted to write a long-winded review about why [insert generic overhyped game here] sucks, I could do it. But it's a lot easier on an internet forum to just summarize things, like "the story in Crysis sucks" or "Fallout 3 has bad writing," because it gets the point across quickly.

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I agree , once again, with peter here.
    I'm not gonna waste my breath trying to explain why Crysis is terrible...
    I'd rather use that time playing a game that really interests me, involves me and makes me feel like I have a purpose other than killing koreans.
    BioShock -and I'm gonna keep using it as an example- is that sort of game.

6. St3nic3

St3nic3 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Ge 260 Maxcore (216)
    CoD 4 ist ww2 game :D (someone said: CoD4 sux enough of ww2 games...)
    Ive passed FarCry 2 and its already 3/10 (was 6/10) cause game is more ****ty then i though

Still getting GTA4 and DeadSpace

7. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    All the belows are game I own (either given or purchased, either steam or console)

Far Cry 2: 3/10, unplayable on my computer(steam) game doesnt open up at max rez, friend rented for ps3 and wasnt worth the rent price

Fallout 2: 8/10, amazing game, gives you your money's worth but VERY repetitive once the short main quest is over with, am aNuka Cola fan though

Fable 2: 7/10 decent game, finished it twice as good and bad character, not much replayability value, more an expansion, story gets 0/10, not immersed at all

Red Alert 3 1/10, would give it 0 if not from the hot babes, but even there some were not so hot, the whole graphical overview is a fail, old bigass unit are now generally small, v4 look tiny, same as the wheel of the mammoth etc, micro isnt REALLY there that much

Left 4 Dead 8/10, it's a good simple game, maybe overpriced seeing how SHORT it is, how much it lacks content (total single player time on normal is around 6 hours) and guns, or even melee weapons, versus mode playing as zombie is definitely cool

GTA 4: 6/10, somewhat disapointing, was missing the real estate part which I loved, the city isnt as great as it once was, but definitly had the best story and cutscenes from all the GTAs, and new gun n hide system made you look less like a retard

CoD 4: 10/10, best modern/futuristic warfare game (comparing with BF2 and the likes), great/well scripted story line, and me loving #1 in public multiplayer games

Bioshock: 9/10, best singleplayer-only game, it's lacking something that I can't put my finger on for a 10, but is definitly the greatest story line in years

Mass Effect: 7/10, good game overall, the planet-exploration was immense and much more of a time filler then anything, game would've been much much shorter otherwise and this is just something I don't want game devs to do so I punish them for it with my 7

World in Conflict: 8/10, very nice story line, very nice graphics even from up close, gameplay was good, the only problem is the game wasnt very entertaining in multiplayer

Crysis/Warhead: 4/10, decent graphics, even at hardest difficulty is a very easy game, very hard on the GPU in the snowy areas, lack of online achievements to keep me around for more then 4 games, we already knew the story

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    your response missed my post by a mile, again, a good review shouldnt explain why it sucks, that leads the reader, be it short or long winded. so far, everyone here is leading or "forcing" their opinion and likely ready to argue about it if apposed. Some people did like Crysis..etc so its not professional on any level for a reviewer to tell the reader, "dont buy it cause it sucks and here is why i say so". and a reader may not buy it despite they may have really liked it if they can read about what the game has or doesnt have and make up their own mind.

not sure what sites and magazines you consider "pro" but look up some of the writers backgrounds when possible, oftentimes, many popular sites especially, they are not a journalist who studied to be. they typically dont know how to write to let the reader make up their own minds and due to that, theres no way of knowing if their pockets are stuffed or not. thats why you should avoid decisions based on such types of reviews.

like i'd give "warhead" a 8.5 from my opinion. if i've never played it and read profits review, i may not want to spend $30 on it and never know what a great game i'm missing...cause its all opinon
    if i were to actually review the game, the 8.5 is same, but i'd never lead the reader saying "this is what sucks-this is whats cool" no matter how long or short winded. instead you break it down and explain aspects of the game itself

9. peter_molyneux

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Indeed it is all about opinion. That's the point of a review by a critic - it has to be critical and opinionated.

A review can't simply be a neutral description of a game or it doesn't serve its purpose. Here's an example: let's say we are reviewing Diablo 2 and Legend: Hand of God. I think everyone can agree that Diablo 2 is a classic game and Legend: Hand of God is a steaming pile of crap. If we follow your reviewing paradigm of providing a neutral description of each game, a reader would have no idea which one to buy. Both reviews would read like this:

"This game is an action-RPG hybrid. You can play as a warrior or a mage. You cast spells or whack monsters with a sword, then collect loot from the dead monster. The game has a story about demons. The game has multiplayer, etc., etc."

In reality, the reviews need to be like this:

"Diablo 2 is an excellent game. Although its graphics are a bit dated, the perfectly executed loot system and easy to use free Battle.net multiplayer system make this game a must-buy for any RPG fan."

"Legend: Hand of God sucks huge balls. The graphics are awful, the story seems like it was written by a 3rd-grader and the voice acting was is stilted and terrible beyond recognition, etc etc."

See the difference? Even if someone likes hack-n-slash RPG's, they will probably hate Legend: Hand of God. Maybe the odd individual will actually enjoy it, but 99% of people won't. Sure you liked Crysis: Warhead, but an honest review needs to point out how crappy the game is so that the average consumer doesn't get tricked into buying it.

10. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II
    Yes, most reviews are very opinionated and that is why I ignore most of them and their ratings... It is why I laugh at every post in this thread as they hold little value to anyone wishing to make an informed decision. Just like reviews, these comments are opininated.

Find a publication or reviewer that has similar taste to yours and trust their reviews. That is the only way a review will be of any value to you. I have friends that tell me a movie is great and I will go and watch it. I have other friends that do the same and I most likely won't watch it based on previous "reviews" from them.

11. St3nic3

St3nic3 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Ge 260 Maxcore (216)
    I dont mark games in order to convict u that they good/bad.
    I just saw that most of u are buying games and spend money (not like me) so i wanna to "warn" maybe, that u may get dissapointed. I see myself as a game expert, ive passed every worth game from 99 until now cause i can get them all :D
    I make scores based on a simple content:

Graphic is important, but how u can run the game on ur pc is more (noone cares ultra high if u cant run it on medium)

Storyline is even more important, cause even if the gameplay is good and graphic is great, but the game is flat and repetitive (doom 3, farcry2, crysis)
    and its all about to kill nicer, the game fail.

There are so many shooters i played, so i cant get influenced by graphic or special weapons anymore.. Real gamers with experience need more than just a nice boom when u shoot the car.

So if u decide to play a good game (in all possible ways) and not flat massacre, u better listen to my marks, but if u like an innovative graphic-based and alot of blood games, then dont..

12. peter_molyneux

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Right, well some members of this forum are very experienced gamers, making it occasionally worthwhile to hear their opinions. Certainly you'll find more honest accounts here than on Gamespot or IGN or PCGAMER.

I wish there was a publication with similar taste to mine, but I have yet to find one that isn't run by complete morons.

13. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Basically what you're saying is that you don't want to read reviews, you want something more along the lines of a demo... or a gameplay video ?
    I read the review BECAUSE I want an opinion; that's why I've been reading more gamefaqs player reviews than anything else. Sure, 80% are written by idiots who just learned how to type but the other 20% actually know what they're talking about.
    The sad thing about the industry today is that games that we -or rather, I- consider spectacular barely break the norm. It's just that when something like BioShock is released, and it brings back the feeling that you're been thrown into a beautifully crafted and intricate world it's like... rapture.
    I think if there was a higher STANDARD for games, BioShock would probably not have been stuck in my head for a year and a half.
    I completely disagree with what you're saying. I don't want to read a review that sounds like a write-up on a dissection. A game is an entity your judgment of it can't be based on the sum of its parts. That's like saying you'd give a chocolate, apple, cheddar cheese and vodka milkshake a 10/10 because you like chocolate, apples, cheddar cheese, vodka and... milk.
    It's the cohesion of all the elements that makes a game awesome, or sh*t.
    You'll never find that. Ever. But you can occasionally find a good writer on a crappy website.. I think the Eurogamer tends to be the best for that cause one of them, wrote the BioShock review ;), was hilarious but the review was very, very opinionated. Made me go insane to buy the game.

14. St3nic3

St3nic3 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Ge 260 Maxcore (216)
    Dont wanna read, dont read.. Crysis, Farcry2 and BioShock still ****ty games.

As i said.. if u like to kill moving targets without any purpose with nice graphic u better ignore the review.
    But if u wanna play a good games then u better listen, thats all ;)

15. Fri4rTuck

Fri4rTuck Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580GTX Twin Frozr II

While I agree with you, I am also a very experienced gamer. I've been playing all my life and I'm almost 40 now. So, I have many, many years of playing experience under my belt. However, I still didn't agree with any of the ratings mentioned in this thread. Like I said, the person giving the "review" needs to have similar taste to your own. I just wish the "review" was more then, "Aw that game sucks balls man". Like it was stated before, I don't think anyone in here would do a better job then any of the reviewers out there - and that includes me.

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    This, imo, is the most sensible post in this whole thread. Calling people 'idiots' or 'morons' because they don't agree with you doesn't add weight to your argument and isn't really going to change their minds.

17. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Well I completly disagree with both of you guys right here, I have purchased EVERY GAME I felt like in the last year even though the bad reviews and the bad public ratings. And guess what ... THEY WERE RIGHT, crysis warhead was crap, Red Alert 3 was crap

Bioshock was SWEET and exalting as it is possible for a singleplayer only game, like the reviews suggested

The truth is, people PLAY games, LOADS of them, and 99.9% of the time they are right, the game is good or it is not, sure it depends on the type of game you like but still

I'd much rather get all the information I can get online before making a bad purchase, plus if I'm still not convinced theres always Demos or patience until the price lowers

18. Carl-Brit

Carl-Brit Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 3870xt Turbo oc+
    seriously some of you people need to stop going overboard.... you can't even give this game a rating its so over rated blah blah blah... get a life don't listen to all the hype then and you wont be let down when its crap to you most games now are just graphical DEAL with it ! you can have fun with somethign in every game its nice to have a game come out like fallout 3 (ain't played the first or second but 3 i loved) but if ever fps, roll play mmorpg ect ect where ALL 10/10 perfect games you'd be stuck for choice to play them :nerd: each game has a cool thing about it what that is you decide yourself no need to bitch about the games being absolute dog shat when there better than you make out...

19. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    I recommend STALKER Clear Sky, your rig can run it at DX10 maximum GFX, its a great game, patch it to v. 1.5.07 and enjoy dozens of hours in the zone.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    where did i say anything about demo's and videos?
    there is no hidden messages in my post, i thought only women tried to find that stuff

IGN or whereever isnt suppose to give you opinions. they give you details of the experience.
    if i relied on opinions here, i'd miss out on several good titles.

experienced gamers doesnt mean anything. i've been gaming since atari 2600 days. i even had a Pong. but doesnt mean many here would like my high rating of Warhead any better. some will rate it high, some will low. any-kid-joe out there has no clue based on wildly varied opinions if they would really like the game or not now does he.
    opinions dont prove anything. its no big deal if the poster mentions its his opinion but some here i know like to argue their opinons as fact. countless posts of that in many game threads now...pointless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.