Newegg BS

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Alexstarfire, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Skipping the backstory, I want to return an open-box item to Newegg, but they charge a restocking fee AND I have to pay for shipping out of pocket. WTF is that crap? They don't mention ANY of that in their return policy. Any way I can get at least one of the charges dropped, cause it's almost worth it for me to keep it and just buy a new one thanks to the charges.

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Unless there's a fault with the item I don't think you can get them to waive either.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ... sounds like someone clicked a little to fast, but i got to admit ur right. I bought a converter cable on their site. its 7.99 for the cable and 6.99 for shiping, what kinda $**t are they pulling there? i bought a Q6600 for 190 and free shipping... cant you take 7 bucks off of shiping for a stupid cable after i bought a huge amount of junk from newegg? lol

4. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    i never understood those who associate the item price with the shipping price. unless the cable was small enough to fit into a letter envelope, $7 sounds perfectly fine to cover shipping costs as well as packaging and handling. it's all psychological - if the cable was $50, you wouldn't be complaining. i also don't understand why everyone believes he/she is newegg's #1 customer, simply based on the amount of money spent and newegg should give them free this and free that. they're offering free shipping on certain items because they either already profit enough per sale, or they're paying the shipping fees to market the product and get more people to buy and will make it back eventually - most likely surpass sales vs if they didn't offer free shipping in the first place.

as for the op, newegg should have stated so in their return policy for open-box items. that's really the only thing i would bring up to them to try to waive some of the fees. try to get in contact with upper management. i know of this cs rep at newegg who emailed me personally when i had a complaint a while back and took care of the situation. i'll see if i can find his email and pm you. always worth a shot.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008

5. GSB

GSB Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 650
    Charged me $52 restocking fee, when I emailed them that they nowhere stated there was a restocking fee, they sent me an email that read, and I quote "sorry for the confusion but we have now amended our restocking notice to include that information and will be happy to offer you a $25 coupon on your next purchase" I call BS. F them.

6. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    Found in 5 mins, by 1st checking general returns page, and then going to an open box item and checking that return policy, everything is clearly stated.

Does Newegg.com pay the return shipping cost for defective merchandise?
    No, Newegg.com does not pay the return shipping cost for defective merchandise. We are not responsible for product defects, because we do not manufacture the products we carry. However, if you pay to send the item back to Newegg.com, we will replace the item and ship the replacement to you at no charge. Newegg.com will employ every resource it has to ensure that your item is replaced promptly, without hassle.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=6

Return Policies

All returns for a refund are subject to a 15% restocking fee.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx

7. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Bradbb2005 just quoted what i was about to.
    It clearly states all items. Though they do make exceptions.

I bought a video mp4 player which didn't do what they had stated it was suppost to.
    It was simply a horrible product.
    But when i returned it, they waived the restocking fee, and gave me 10$ additional credit to cover return shipping.

So if it cost just as much to send it back as you would get in return. Just keep it. What ever it is, you might find a use for it later. What is it by the way? out of curiosity.

8. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Owned

Anyways, you honestly got 1 in a million with newegg.

Its very rare you you get anything defective from them and I have bought a lot of stuff from them.

I bought my blu ray drive from them yesterday at 9AM came and got it at 11AM the next day.

9. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    The restocking fee is optional on their part. I got charged sometimes, and sometimes they let it slide. I always had to pay for shipping though.

10. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    you can get return shipping waived if you ask. ive never paid for return shipping on a defective item... knock on wood ;)

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Don't hate on the egg. They have the best service of any retailer I've ever dealt with, brick or web. Sounds like buyer's remorse. Their policies are clearly stated and pretty easy to find. One of the best things about newegg is how easy it is to navigate their website, imo.

On a side note, what do you do when you buy cheap items that are defective? Guess you learn stick to other brands, eh? Just got 3 new Crucial 2gb thumb drives for $5 a piece (shipped free) and two of them are corrupted. I presume it isn't worth bothering with so I haven't.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    To my knowledge they've always had the restocking fee and return shipping information clearly stated on their site. The restocking fee only applies to "non-defective" items, as they are not permitted to charge a restocking fee on items that can't be restocked due to damage or defect.

13. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    If you did the mistake and purchased the wrong item then yes you will have to pay the restocking fee and the return shipping. If the product is defective than they will take care of it all. So pay the fee and the shipping and order the right item.

14. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    I don't see any issues with the shipping price. Shipping price is based mostly on size of package and weight and has no reflection on the monetary value of whatever is inside it.

15. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I never in 4 years paid a return shipping or restocking fee
    all you have to do is ask nicely for them to send you a return label to print out via email
    and if you say the product arrived faulty there is never a restocking fee ( for me any way)

Now when i call it is just natural for me to say hi this is so and so and my rma number is whatever can you please send the return label to this email adress
    Always get's done

Even better though was Mwave when i got a faulty Abit 35 pro xe
    and i called and said i waited 2 extra days for it to arrive and it is DOA and i need it ASAP for a customers pc,they sent me another out 2 day shipping no charge no questions asked and sent me a return label for the old one
    To me that is top service

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Always amazes me how people expect to get something for free, yet they expect to be paid for services they provide. Always a double standard somewhere. Newegg sells products made by other companies. As such, there is no reason for them to be responsible for return shipping on defective items or cases where people ordered the wrong item. They don't force people to order the wrong item, so...no liability for return shipping. The OP claims that the return shipping charge and restocking fee weren't posted anywhere in the return policy. It has been there since at least 2003 when I started using Newegg.

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    crazyace: i can top that. Bought a 68" version of Ichigo's Tensa Zangetsu from the anime Bleach from i believe swordsswords.com. Had it for about a week or two i think. couldn't stand the thing. crappy matte black paint on the blade to make it resemble the one in the anime..... basically a thin aluminum tube as a scabbard with no protection or anything to hold the blade in place once in the scabbard (probably also due to not wanting to scratch off the crappy paint)..... and was stainless steel.... which SUCKED. E-mailed them saying i wanted to return it. They told me to take it to a DHL store to ship it out, and use the account number that was on the order invoice that came with the sword. Went to DHL.... and they said that doing so wasn't possible, since that would mean that anyone could use that number for shipping anything they wanted. Came back home and e-mailed them telling them this. Heard no response. Few days later.... had a refund of the price of the sword PLUS the shipping cost back in my account. E-mailed them again asking if they wanted the sword back somehow.... but didn't get a response. Waited a few weeks.... didn't hear anything.... and eBay'd the sword. Basically made double the money back. :)

18. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, that's just crap, because when I click the return policy link that is in my invoice it is not listed anywhere. In fact, here is the entire return policy that it directs me too:
    I know that you don't work for Newegg, but can you please tell me where it tells me that I will have to pay for ANYTHING?

EDIT: No, I didn't buy the wrong item. I never buy the wrong item. I had been looking at them for over a week and chose between all the potentials very carefully. I did not buy a crappy brand, unless MSI is crappy now. Whatever though. I'm glad for your input. BTW, thanks for that email address, I'll shoot them an email after this.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  19. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    So why are you wanting to return it? Or did I miss that?

20. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    Good question......

YOU: "hi newegg, i bought an openbox item and i decided i don't want it, could you please refund all of my money and not charge me a restocking fee AND pay my shipping, thanks."

NEWEGG OPERATOR "....click...."