Newbie questions (yes I read guide) - fan control

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Matrices, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Matrices

Matrices Member

Hi folks,

I am running two MSI GTX 260 OCV3, which do not use stock fan design, but rather twin fans. Vista 64, 190.62.

I don't know if the old method of hardware fan control still works - go to power user tab, nvidia/fan, and change autofanspeedcontrol=3 - but that option does not even exist for me. Only 2 options: binary something and minimum fan speed.

Anyway, so I am trying driver level fan control, but there seems to be a major problem. The simplest thing would be to have 25% fan speed set up for idle and low power, and 55% or whatever for 3D clocks. However, the only available slider is the last one, for 3D mode, and if I hit apply, the fan speed for the other settings also ramp up.

This seems to make the future pretty useless. What am I missing?

Also, is there ever going to be an option to just activate fan speeds with certain executables? The ability to hitch fan speeds to certain OC modes or the preset actions (exit RT, enter RT, enter suspend, etc.) are pretty circuitous and it seems like it'd make so much more sense just to have your fan speed kick in when you boot up whatever app requires it.a

Thanks guys, please pardon my ignorance in advance.

2. stangowner

stangowner Master Guru

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Its under RivaTuner\Fan, not RivaTuner\NVIDIA\Fan. And will only work if the card is still using the ADT7473 controller.

This is normal. The fan should be controlled by temp, regardless of mode.

You can already do this. When you create a launcher item, select a fan profile AND specify an associated application. Then use the launcher item to run the app, and not the normal shortcuts.

3. Matrices

Matrices Member

Thanks! I think I did actually look under Rivatuner/Fan, but I'll double check. It's honestly just easier for me to use the hotkeys that you can assign to profiles in Precision (and I assume in RT too) so I'll probably just stick with that for now.