1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in trouble again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With 480 gtx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by insomniahd, Jun 26, 2010.

1. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    Jst bought my first high end gpu today!!! Previously i had xfx 8600gt which does'nt requires any power from a psu.............so i ve install'd the gpu now i m left with the two molex adapter a 8 pin n a 6 pin.............should i connect my gpu directly with my gx 750w which has ( 6+2pin and 6 pin) or connecting the molex with the 2 4pin peripheral for the 8pin molex and again 2 4pin peripheral for the 6pin molex??????????? Im jst a dumb guy.......help help....help......and explain me each and every steps to successfully install this gpu.............cheers!!!!! :)

2. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    One more thing!!!!! I also got the haf 922......... With a 200mm on the front (intake)............200mm on the roof (exhaust).........200mm on the side (exhaust) ......120mm inside at base (intake)...........a 120mm at rear (Exhaust)...........is dis a good plan???? Or should i swap the side fan from exhaust to intake????? And how much will it help to cool my 480 gtx??? on load????.......

3. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    Ha haa....what fps should i expect in crysis with 1920x1080 at dx10 very high with 4xAA????????????

4. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    Im a newbie to this forum cases and to building pcs!!! Pls help.....best regards!!!!!

5. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I recommend you use the correct connectors directly from the PSU, my Corsair HX-850 was very specific in the instructions stating that you should use either both hard wired cables, or both modular cables ( as power fluctuations can vary etc between different types of cables, even the same type connected by different means ). I doubt they would put it there for no reason. The PCI-E connectors to join them together to make 6 or 8 pin etc should only be used as a last resoirt, best to play is safe with your shiny new GPU.

P.S you can edit posts, down the bottom right of the post window it will say edit, if you are not signed in it won't say edit though, but it will allow you to click "post reply" though and then prompt for sign in. AKA sign in to the forums at the main page ( as it can sign you out when you close the window ) and you can edit posts.

I have my 5 fans on my case setup as:

front 2 fans intake, side fan intake, top fan exhaust, back fan exhaust. It was recommended to me, I can't say whether it's better, but my case is nice and cool.

32 degrees idle cpu, 58 max, GTX280 never goes above 65 degrees, stock fan, default speed ( 40% )

6. toy4x4

toy4x4 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - SLI

Just use the 6+2 PCI cables. There should be 4. Just plug the card into you PCI-E slot and the plug in two of the 6+2 pin connectors. One you will just leave the +2 pin connector hanging there.

7. toy4x4

toy4x4 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - SLI
    You might go to the forums over at EVGa and look in their 400 series forum for that answer. I would suggest though that you download 3dVantage and run that benchmark and compare it to the 3dVantage scores posted in a thread over there.

And register your card there if you have not.

8. toy4x4

toy4x4 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - SLI
    You should be good there also. That is a lot of airflow.

9. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    change the side fan to intake
    more fans for intake and less for exhaust(positive air pressure) will prevent dust buildup inside the case

10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    So i'm doing it right by accident, boo ya!

11. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    Man!!! Im in a suck'n place in india....probably the worst place.........sucks to be here......now how'll i download the 3d mark vantage with a f+#k'n 7kbps!!???? :-(

12. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    Just out of curiousity .....Fliping the side 200mm fan on the side will make it into intake from exhaust?????......he....he........learning!!!!!......

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I'm using my haf 932 side fans as intake, front intake, bottom intake, roof exhaust, back exhaust, think it's optimal airflow this way. Also use the connectors that go straight from the PSU. Grats on your new card, felt the same way when I bought my GeForce 7800GTX when I was your age (in terms of excitment :)).

Nerf your gtx 280 temps dchalf, mine can get as hot as 86-87 degrees C in gpu intensive games, then again it's been a while since I last dusted it off, and it's also summer but still.

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Please stop double and triple posting, use the edit button.

15. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX

Dude this are the best days of my life.......never felt so happier!!!!........lolololololololo..........ha....ha.....

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    No point in making them much lower, 65c is at load, well and truly safe, forcing higher fan speed would be a waste of power. I would love to get a full tower just because I need to chase that consumer dream with alweays needing to 1-up myself, but my current one works so good there is no point.

EDIT:

I've been using GPUz to monitor temps, maybe it isn't accurate. When it used to get up into the 80's I would get graphical corruption, it hasn't happened in a long time though so maybe GPUz is right.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    I'm using Real Temp 3.40 to monitor temperatures, will have to dust out my case when exams are over and see if it improves, actually I'm sure it will since it's been like 2 months since I last cleaned it up. :p

18. insomniahd

insomniahd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 GTX
    Q1. Fliping the side fan will make it into a intake from exhaust?????

Q2.for maximum cooling my 480 and best airflow..........sud i use front+side+base as intake and top+rear for exhaust??

Q3.connect the gpu directly with the 6+2pin and 6pin from psu??? Using the molex wud make any difference??? Or wud simply make a mess??

Q4. Important!!!! Sud i connect the fans with the mobo??? Or the psu??? Connecting 2pins of fan with 3pins on mobo....is it a issue???.......i ve the msi 890fx gd70...........

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
    Q1 yes, also you can allways check with a piece of paper what direction the fan is blowin at

Q2 that's what I am using and it works great

Q3 connect it directly to psu

Q4 I fill out all mobo slots first, and the remaining fans go straight to psu

20. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I second all points.

@DiaboliX

Don't know about your case but since I've had mine...I never have to clear the inside, air filters are a godsend.