Newbie getting ready to build a new computer !! Please help me!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nyrmetros, Jul 13, 2008.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Ohhhh ok. haha, sorry. I was confused. I appreciate you taking the time out to make a recomendation, but after reading 18 pages of reviews, not 1 reviewer had any issues with the Zalman 9700 led. So that pretty much settled it for me. But I do thank you for explaining these things anyway to me. :)

2. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    QFT!

It's nice rig you are building there (when you get that GPU) :)

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Damn, couldn't make the order today. Will try again tomorrow morning. I just hope I am doing the right thing with all the parts I picked out!! So much pressure !!!
    lol

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Has anyone either heard of or ordered from the webpage www.directron.com?

I was just adding some numbers, and if I bought from newegg, the evga 780i and E8400 would come out to $471.57 including shipping, while if I bought the same parts from Directron, it would come out to $421.96 including shipping.

That's a $49.61 difference.

Edit - So after adding all the parts from Directron, I get this.

Subtotal: 891.93
    Shipping: 21.52
    Tax: 0.00
    Total: 913.45

So what's the deal, Newegg has to charge tax to a NYC resident while Directron doesn't?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    skrew it. I am ordering the system from newegg right now. Thank you for all your help in this process. Fingers crossed the parts all work and that I've made the right decisions!!

7. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    good choice.directron is a solid etailer but newegg is THE best.
    enjoy the new rig!

8. tucsonrider

tucsonrider Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870 1GB
    I've ordered from directron.com several times. Good service, good prices. They are not as fast as newegg at shipping though.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I could have saved some money from Directron cause they don't collect NY State tax while Newegg does, but if I need to rma anything people tell me newegg is the best.

10. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    You did miss something (and I'm very surprised nobody mentioned it), a sound card, and trust me, if you are doing serious gaming, you really should have one, they change the whole experience...

A real shame that you've missed out on that one. :(

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Soundcard is a component that I can easily upgrade in the future. Same for vid card basically. So I actually purposefully missed it this time around. Was just trying to get core components settled. But glad you brought it up. :)

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Wow! My package arrived at my doorstep in LESS than 24 hours, after just paying for standard shipping. I wonder if the items could have been shipped an faster if I had paid $50 for top of the line shipping! All 7 items came in 1 box with a lot of peanuts. The OEM dvd burner and HD were bubble wrapped together.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    And 2 weeks later, the computer is up and running. Thank you to everyone who helped out, offered advice, etc....

I will try to take pictures when the camera has a battery.

The cable management is not what I thought it would be. But I had several people, including the builder reccomend not doing extreme cable management because in case of any problems, the cables can be easily accessed.

I already have a list of upgrades I'd like to do eventually, but that's going to have to wait a while!

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    New video card is a must, just waiting for the price war to fully kick in.
    I'd like to get a 2nd HD. Ideally I want a raptor for my OS, but I dunno if I would be able to afford the Raptor, so maybe just a smaller 7200 rpm drive for the OS and main programs.
    I def need more blue cathode lights inside the case. I like blue, haha.

I need a new kb, was looking at this saitec model http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175103

The only thing I can afford to do now is the kb. everything else will have to wait a while.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Ok, I bought a new keyboard today. It's the Razer Lycossa. I hate it and it's going back to Microcenter this week. Any other recomendations for keyboards. I need blue lights for my night gaming, but easily readable keys for daytime usage for other people. Is the Saitec http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175103 a good choice?

16. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That Eclipse has got many good reviews, but so has Logitech G11 and G15.

I hate G11 and G15 but most of people like those. Some people dont like that Eclipse, but most of people like it.

It's hard to say which keyboard is good for you, you just need to try those yourself.

Is it possible to try G15/G11 or Eclipse at Microcenter when you bring that Lycossa back?

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Microcenter only had the eclipse II which has black keys which a certain family member can't use. I think I can try 1 of those logitech's there, but I really wasn't looking to spend more than $50 on the keyboard. I would love to try out the eclipse I, but no store around here seems to have it, just online.

Microcenter now has the E8400 for $150, but the Antec 1200 jumped to $165.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    If anyone here has the Saitek Eclipse I kb, could you let me know how you like it, how it feels, etc ??

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Ok, here's another question. I installed Speedfan 4.35, and it sais the my idle temp is 51. Is this good, average, or bad ? If this is bad, what can I do to decrease the temp ?
    All of my fans in the computer are running on hi btw.

20. fusion509

fusion509 New Member

GPU:
    4850 crossfire
    4850 beast

This is completely true. I have a setup with a 4850 crossfire and it kicks the crap out of a gtx260 oc. go with the 4850!!