New Xbox vs Play Station

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by the_4ork, Feb 9, 2013.

1. the_4ork

the_4ork Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    just thought i'd start a little discussion here, see what everyones thinking.

Currently I own a ps4, and i chose it over the xbox for a few reasons. It had blue-ray. that was a huge selling point for me. It came pre-equipped with wireless internet, i didnt have to spend any extra $ to connect it, and its free to connect online.

those were the selling points for me. Additionally i think (and i could be wrong here) it has a more robust GPU but that was not a selling point for me.

Now the new consoles.

If they both follow their own trends, PS will have free online play, and pre-equipped with wireless internet. However, according to rumors that the xbox will have to have an internet connection to function properly, im going to go on a limb and say its going to be pre-setup for wireless.

so only 1 selling point for me right now for sony.

then their is the used game functionality. Sony has not come out and said they will ban the use of used games, but the rumor mill is floating around that microsoft will in fact, ban used games.

I dont know about you guys, but this is a -1 for microsoft and a +1 for sony.

Also, according to reports, the sony machine will have the more robust amd hardware. and now that consoles are moving more toward pc power, in terms of actually number crunching power and the more broad things we can use them for, this is now a selling point, more power = more things they can do and for longer in the years to come. (the apple ipad 1 comes to mind, it cannot handle iOS 6 because its now too slow and obsolete)

So we'll see what the market dominates and what buyers purchase. but I foresee a rise in sony stock. In fact, im thinking about buying a little bit of stock in both companies just to see how they do.

after the announcement of AMD usage in both consoles i bought a few shares of AMD stock. why not? thier hardware is now going to be used in both console markets, plus PC. win-win i think.

perhaps im a bit biased, as ive owned the ps3 longer, was my original purchase, and have become accustomed to it over my xbox.

thoughts?

2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Sold my Xbox and X360 I think this time around I wont bother with the next MS Console at all actually. I kept all my PS1/PS2/PS3 systems tho but as with 360 and PS3 systems the games I want are not made much anymore nor imported to NA much anymore either so even the PS4 will be a hard buy for me since I am not into Shooters on consoles much at all...

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I will be sticking to one console next time round...........and the console i pick will have to fill certain criteria.....

All my bought DLC and digital games from my present console go with me to the new console and work perfectly.(I have too much invested in this stuff to just walk away from it all).

Private/Party chat.(Sony we need it this time round, no excuss, even it it requires a yearly sub).

No constant online DRM.(If i want that i will stick with the PC thank you very much, we dont need this BS on a console).

That's about it....if neither consoles fulfill those 3 simple criteria then it looks like my present consoles will be my last console from MS/Sony.:)

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Ill be getting a ps4 at launch. really love my ps3. had much better games then my xbox360 imo.
    PSN+ is also awesome.
    so far i got sleeping dogs, quantun canundrum,bioshock2,mortal combat 9,limbo,vanquish,batman arkham city, crysis2,resident evil 5,hell yeah,double dragon,just cause2,deadspace 2,little big planet 2,deus ex,outland,infamous2,darksiders,oddworld,renegade ops,crash,shank2,shift2,farcry2,tombraider underworld,altered beast,streets of rage 2,infamous,little big planet,burnout paradise,astro tripper,sonic the hedgehog for free.

5. the_4ork

the_4ork Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4850
    not paying a subscription is a big win for me, if sony continues to offer the gaming network for free, i may just very well stay sony.

i already pay an arm and a leg for high speed interent, paid for the game, paid for the console, and then i gotta pay more to play online? screw that.

The DRM issue is really going to be the MAIN factor in weather i buy a console at all. I could take that $399 or $499 and upgrade my gaming PC and just keep my old ps3 around to play netflix and blurays

6. colorblindnejc

colorblindnejc Active Member

GPU:
    HD5770
    I am thinking about PS4 if I buy a console. I try not to be a fan boy, I like X360 as well as PS3 (owned the latter) but I really hate to pay for broadband and then pay again for the ability to play games online - something about it ticks me off in such a manner that I am willing to go with no console whatsoever. I do however think this time around both consoles will get around the same amount of exclusive titles right from the get go...

Oh I might also mention that for this generation Im also thinking PC vs consoles. If games go 1080 smoothly I might consider doing just a small upgrade on the PC and do the main gaming on consoles... Mostly because I cant afford spending 800bucks every year and a half for a monster rig to then play games like NFSMW that lag no matter what :\

7. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    ps4 for me, no question. wont be getting xbox for several reasons.

1- RROD and other bull**** left a bad taste in my mouth
    2- always online for a console.....:bang:
    3- prefer sony's exclusive titles

8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'm leaning toward Sony this round myself. However, my main interest when buying a console is the availability of JRPG's. Whichever looks to be getting the lions share will decide for me. I just hope it isn't the new Xbox.

9. J.B.west

J.B.west Banned

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    you have a ps4??

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surprised the above was the first to notice said he had a PS4 lol.

I still haven't made my mind up yet, Sony have the exclusives that fit my tastes but MS have a far better controller and service, course all this could change next gen.

The console with the strongest DRM will be the one with the best support so if the new Xbox has online DRM then I will go with that as the next PlayStation will be completely ignored or neglected by publishers if it does not.

11. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    We noticed, we just assumed he meant PS3 so let it go. Personally I am waiting to see what each console brings 2 years into its life span, then I will make a decision which one to buy

12. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    sony has better exclusives I'd go with ps4

13. colorblindnejc

colorblindnejc Active Member

GPU:
    HD5770
    A bit offtopic but does any one know how the sports game production starts for next-gen consoles? I mean development usually begins a few months after the latest gets released so are the first games we are going to get just console to console ports or...?
    I remember NBA 2k got some heat for being kind of a x360 port for the first years because of low framerates and such...

14. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    yeah i was gonna make a wise ass comment but let it go

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If I get a console this generation it will be PS4 just like their product more they better let me move all my stuff from my PS3 over but as the new console is going to be x64 I don't inticipate backwards compatibility.

16. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    you mean ps3, right? :eek:

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sadly jRPG are dead on consoles. PS3 failed terrible in that respect. there all on handhelds these days. Which is rather depressing. I would Love for the jRPG I grew up playing to make come back on consoles, more specifily on Playstation, seeing I will never own a MS consoles. Which leave Nintendo and I dont like the path nintendo been going down since the wii.

18. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Unless the first party games or hardware capabilities are lopsided in favor of Xbox, the free network functionality of PSN will win it over for me.

That's assuming that I have to choose one of course. Odds are high that I'll probably just end up getting both, unless Xbox fails to get any noteworthy exclusive for my preference.

19. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    well maybe ff7 will get remade for its 20 year anniversary for ps4 in 2017 :infinity:

thats enough time for them to finish FF versus 13 and then the remake can be the next title. yeah i know its a pipe dream

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    And cows can fly just like pigs! we all know Square Enix is too stupid to actual listen to what the fans wants, Just look at the state of FF series they all been crap since X atlest to me anymore. To much emphases on MMO style gameplay and dumbing down the battle system and making it look nice over actual gameplay.

I would kill for Turn based jRPG like FF1~9 or BOF series hell Earthbound on the snes was better then most jrpgs on the ps3 and i not even sure earthbound can be consider a jRPG lmao

Turnbased jRPG with now a days graphics or even beter HD Sprites or maybe I just miss the golden age of jRPG.