New vid card....new puter??????

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by exmlb, Jan 7, 2005.

1. exmlb

exmlb Guest

I have a
    Dell Dimension 8200 over 2 yrs old......I know wayyyyyyy outdated
    WinXP Office
    1.8 P4
    768 MB PC800 RDRAM
    Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400

I use this puter for business from my house and FPS games. It runs ok but could be better of course. I also have a 5 yr old IBM that is a POS that is going to be a boat anchor.

My dilema: I don't want my kids or my wife on my puter. Should I
    A:) Upgrade this one with a new vid card and keep it and buy a cheap e-machine for them and steal the better monitor LOL
    B:) Upgrade this one and give it to them and buy myself a better system
    C:) Leave this one as is and buy another for me
    D:) Leave this one as is and buy one for them....wait that won't be an option

If I do an upgrade to the vid card......which one should I get. I figure the best ones out there aren't going to do what they are made for on this machine so what should I do?

If I buy one for them should I buy a cheap one? Like this one: http://www.best********/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmprd23300050003&skuId=999923200050003&type=product

Thanks in advance for advice. I have read these forums off an on for a long time and have used a lot of the gurus advice.

2. [X]Pyro

[X]Pyro Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 6800 GT
    i say C and your link is dead.and if you really want a good machine it's easy to build your own Dell's are piles of *#^* and what is your budget for a new machine?

3. exmlb

exmlb Guest

I don't know about building my own. I have put new DVD and CD drives in and memory and thats the extent of it. Also I need all the business software and I know buying that stuff by itself can get very pricey.

About Dell's being POS's......I have had good luck with this one.....so far. It's just old and outdated.....of course it was when I got it probably.

Budget.......... well if I buy one for them I wanted to stay around $800. If I buy one for me I was looking at around $1250.
    That link is for an E-machine ( I know they are bottom of the barrel) but it would only be $550 after rebates and at that price I could buy one every 2 years and be ahead of the game.

Here are the specs for that E-Machine:

Processor Brand AMD Athlon XP
    Processor Speed 2.2GHz
    System Bus 400MH
    Cache Memory 512KB on die Level 2
    System Memory (RAM) 512MB
    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2.0GB
    Type of Memory (RAM) PC2700 DDR
    Hard Drive Size 160.0GB (7200 rpm)
    Video Memory 64MB
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
    MPEG Yes
    Audio nForce 6-channel
    Network Card Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    CD-ROM Drive Yes
    Maximum CD-ROM Drive Speed 48x
    DVD-RW Drive Yes, DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
    DVD-RW Drive Speeds 8x4x12 DVD+RW; 8x4x12 DVD-RW; 32x16x40 CD-RW
    Total Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP
    Available Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP (8X)
    USB Ports 5 USB 2.0 (1 front, 4 rear)
    Parallel Ports 1
    IEEE 1394 Ports None
    Serial Ports 1
    Game Ports None
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Included Microsoft Windows Media Player, Works 8.0, Money 2004, Picture It! 7.0; Adobe Acrobat Reader; BigFix; Real Player; Power DVD; Nero 6 Suite and more

4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    That craphich card SUCK´s. Its only littlebit faster than u geforce2 MX.

Its never too late to start building machines:) Its easy.. U have internet for backup:)

5. exmlb

exmlb Guest

I read the guide here for building your own. EASY??? Maybe the actual assembly is easy but the rest seems like a huge headache. Comparing prices all over the internet on every part you want to include in your system. What software to get and where? :rolleyes:

When you build one yourself do you order everything from one vendor or go to best price/shipping for each?

6. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 oem 1792MB
    Ill buy most parts in 1 place. Its one of the cheapest place here in Finland and they have very good support. Its only 5km away from home.

DId u know that all parts u buy have installation guide.. Follow those and u will get it work. I have teathed my self to build machines without breaking anything. Actually.. Its easyer than making good food:)

There is also 1 cheaper way to get good computer.. Go cheap store and say what u want and what games u like to work perfectly and what price..

They will try to do anything to make that." here it works". Happy customer is best advertise to store.
    Just forget those "market micro´s" DELL,COMPAG.

Sorry bad english.. Dahm tired and sick... :sleep:

7. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Hello there. I sent you a P/M if you need some help man just reply to it.

8. buy everything at either www.newegg.com (preferred) or www.zipzoomfly.com (also trusted)...... and YTF would u get that sytem for $550??? for $700 u can get a almost kick-ass system these days.......

9. exmlb

exmlb Guest

Where can you get a kick-ass system for $750?

You talking a build your own? Hell the graphics card and processor will cost that much

10. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

What are your upgrade options with your current motherboard? Depending on the socket and FSB of your motherboard you may be able to put a much better CPU in there and just upgrade your graphics card (at least that way you wouldn't have to worry about replacing your software).

For example, I upgraded my HP from a celeron 2.2 to a p4 2.8. That doesn't make it highend by today's standards, but it's more than enough of a boost for me and it was a lot cheaper than building a new machine from the ground up. It really isn't difficult providing you read up and ask the right questions first.

If you do decide to buy a new machine, stay away from the branded ones as they invariably are overpriced and underspeced. A local computer shop should be able to build one to your requirements, so at least you know that you shouldn't need to upgrade it for a while.

11. yttocs1966

yttocs1966 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVG 9800GTX
    if I can build a pc anyone can. sure i freaked out at time, but it passed. i didnt even own a pc before i put one together JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE INTERNET AS YOU GO! i didnt at first, got laptop from brother to answer questions, time saver if not local pc shop is a better chioce, support your community

12. randomend

randomend Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1950 pro 256mb
    i agree, only things i've done was replaced ram sticks, vid card, cd drive, and hard drives which are fairly simple. As long as u follow the instructions u cant go wrong, eg using stand offs when screwing ur mobo to the case and correctly placing the cpu. It looks hard the way they explain placing the CPU in securely etc, but really it slides in nice and firm. It was a great experience building a pc and if i didn't do this myself i wouldn't have the confidence with the pc hardware as i do now. U gotta start somewhere and this is a great place to do it :)

13. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

It's actually reasonably hard to mistake when you're installing the hardware, providing you've put the homework in first and made sure all the componenets are compatible. Your current machine's a Dell isn't it? Email their tech support people and see what they recommend - if they're anything like HP they should be able to tell you exactly how far you can upgrade your CPU.

14. hobgoblin351

hobgoblin351 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 570Ti
    Everyone here seems to have good advice for ya, but I'll add my 2cts anyway. I'd upgrade the Dell, and give it to the kids. You can probably get away with just upping the CPU. It's not really that hard, just check with dell to see how far the Mobo can be pushed.
    Then I'd put together a system for myself. Dell's, Gateways, or HP's they are nice for kids but, it sounds like you're looking for more. If you can install a DVD or CD drive, you can build a whole system. The problem is getting the software. Some applications can get expensive, if you have to pay for them. Not to mention a copy of XP. Loading them up is not really a big deal, it's having them in hand thats the drawback.
    As far as shopping for them, I'd go with 1 or maybe 2 places that will give you the best total price shipping included. Dont fret over an extra $5. New Egg is good and has good cust serv. Monarchcomputer.com is also a great place to shop. Free shipping. Monarch will set you up with a barebones system, of the parts you choose(I cant remember if they will include a software bundle, I would imagine so) Then you can upgrade the indvidual parts overtime. The new Mobo's are so much more powerful/upgradeable these days. Youn can get a better looking case that leven locks to keep the kids out too. The thing is Dell's Gates, and HP's dont want to "play nice" when you try upgrade them. They are built to stay stock, and run stock, no OC'in here. their options are limited.

15. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Beg to differ, but my HP upgraded just fine (sure I can't overclock it but I can live with that). The only problem you may have with the Dell is that they use (or used to use) proprietary motherboards, so it may not be able to support the full range of cpus the chipset should support.

16. stefanovicho

stefanovicho Maha Guru

GPU:
    gf 6800GT / M8600GT
    I orderd my pc at alternate ( www.alternate.nl ) it's a good priced site and they built your pc for you if you don't want to do it yourself ...

also keep away from this geforce mx / geforce fx series .. they suck ( exept for fx 5700ultra and better ) if you even want to toutch a new game with your rig you should buy fx5700ultra+ radeon 9500+ or even better a 6 series card

17. jacamo

jacamo New Member

Not that hard to put together the componets.Just make sure it's all compatible. I faced the same issues. So I just put together a new Pc. Asus A8v, Pny 6800, Retail Amd Athlon64 3200+,1g of Kingston 3200 ddr, BenQ 1620 burner, Mitsumi floppy, Antec Case SX1045BII, extra case fan, Zalman 7000B cpu cooler. Salvaged my monitor, mouse, keyboard & Hard drives Not the greatest setup but it offered a lot of bang for the buck with a little shopping around
    Total cost just under $800
    Good Luck
    J

18. exmlb

exmlb Guest

Thanks for all the responses. I priced out the "LOW and MEDIUM END" systems the way David Gunning did in the PC BUYERS GUIDE.

Low End $1300
    Medium End $1950

Low End would suit me but still need all the software.

19. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Even the low end system is pretty competative by today's standards. Remember to go for OEM versions of software wherever possible (some sites may only sell you the full retail version of Windows - there's no real difference other than the packaging and the price).

20. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    You aren't able to salvage any components? Such as hard drivers, floppies, power supply, monitor, speakers, optical drives, etc?