New version installation.

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Kol12, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3080 OC
    Can new versions of MSI Afterburner and RTSS safely be installed over the top of existing versions without any trouble or is uninstall and reinstall recommended?

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    this

Kol12 likes this.
  3. SharpGame

SharpGame Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070TiOC
    We do a clean installation, perfect, is there a way to save the configuration of all the settings to pass them to the new installation? I am especially interested in the monitoring settings on the screen, I have it very personalized and I would not want to lose it.

4. Kol12

Kol12 Active Member

GPU:
    ROG Strix 3080 OC
    When you uninstall MSI AB there is an option to keep user configuration files.

Andy_K likes this.

5. SharpGame

SharpGame Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070TiOC
    ok Kol12, that's what I'm looking for, please could you tell me the steps to follow? Thank you.

6. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    When you run the setup for the newer version it will ask you if you want to keep your current settings.

7. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    He already did: When you run the uninstaller, it pops up a window and asks you if you want to keep the settings.

Andy_K likes this.
  8. SharpGame

SharpGame Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070TiOC
    Ok, thanks for the clarification.
    And when we do a clean installation of Windows or on another pc, don't comment on it but this interests me even more, thank you.

9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Are you asking how to backup your existing settings and restoring it after you did a fresh windows install?

1. Open command prompt (cmd.exe)
    2. Type the command including full path to MSI AB:
    upload_2021-10-19_14-0-52.png
    (You will be prompted to allow MSI AB acting with admin rights)

3. Now you can copy that created folder to any backup place you like:
    upload_2021-10-19_14-2-9.png

4. After having installed a fresh windows, install MSI AB, then copy back that folder from it's backup location to it's origin location ("C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Backup")

5. Open command prompt and type the following command:
    upload_2021-10-19_14-6-43.png
    (You will be prompted to allow MSI AB acting with admin rights)

You're done

disq and SharpGame like this.
  10. SharpGame

SharpGame Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070TiOC
    Thank you very much for the tutorial Andy_K !, I am very new and in the system symbol I do not get the same,

https://imgur.com/a/yOqBb86

It is obvious that not, but if I copy all the content of the Afterburner folder, install it in the new version of Windows, paste it and replacing the files in the new installation, it will stay the same as it had, all this without having to go through the cmd command

11. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    You missed the " (quotation marks) around the command. They are necessary because of the spaces in the path.

As long as you are installing the same version.
    If you install a newer version than it was you're going to overwrite the new version with an old one.

12. SharpGame

SharpGame Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1070TiOC
    OK, thanks you have been very helpful, I will save the tutorial and your advice.
    Greetings.

13. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA
    I always overwrite the previous install and have had 0 problems thus far.

14. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    What exactly do you mean by this?
    We were talking about a fresh windows install, so there is no "previous install" of MSI AB and if you're just copying the whole folder you do not actually install MSI AB. There are steps only the installer does and not MSI AB on itself.
    If on the other hand you are installing MSI AB and then copying back a saved folder with all exe-files, dll-files, etc. you may overwrite a newer version with an old one. Then (if already started once, which is default option at the end of install) there may be files opened which can't be replaced without a restart of Windows, which is one issue an installer takes care of and will replace those files at the next windows restart. Which is something you can't do by yourself unless you start windows in safe mode, copy those missed files and do another restart to boot windows in normal mode.
    Doesn't have to be a problem in most cases but it may happen that a .dll is opened and used by another task...
    Then you're going to have version mismatch and crashes may occur or features my not work as expected/at all. And you wonder why, can't find the source of it, blame it on the software and the author instead of being aware you've caused it by yourself.
    Don't fool yourself, go with the safe strat, do a uninstall with option to keep settings, reboot and then install.

@SharpGame
    Another issue I forgot to mention why it is useful to use the backup and restore commands: You can have multiple backups, each one named different.
    Like when you are about to test something, fiddling around within the MSI AB settings and you may want to take snapshot of settings before changing them again.
    If something goes wrong you always can revert to one of the last working backups without having to do a full reinstall and without fear of missing out to revert back some of the changes you made.

15. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 ULTRA
    I was under the impression OP has AB/RTSS installed. Then when a new version releases, does he uninstall the old version and install the new version (like if you were to use DDU for a graphics driver) or can he install the new version over the top of the old version. I was saying I have never uninstalled the previous version and just overwritten with the new version and never had any problems. I started using both of these applications multiple years ago. If he meant something else, then I apologise but that was my understanding of his question and also just my experience with these particular programs.

16. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    ah, you didn't mention the OP so I was under impression you were answering to the latest posts in this thread. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    But still recommended is uninstall (while keep settings) and do a new version install.