New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I think Sapphire? ^^

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Usually Sapphire. But it is possible that some 6800(XT) came from ASRock's facilities.

3. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Some of you folks really need to wake up.
    AMD...nor Nvidia give a sh** about you as an end-user...beyond the normal lip-service.
    They're not your friend...as is evident in the fact that they've sold millions of cards to mining companies and left you out in the 'cold'.
    They both know exactly where you stand on wanting a card...any card.
    They'll sell their products directly from the production line to whom ever is the highest bidder and who can guarantee payment immediately.
    That, unfortunately...is not you.

Chess likes this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Sad :oops:
    But in the other hand it will bait them in the @ ss for real, when miners flood the market with Used stuff -> Cheaper is better.....
    Im now easily waiting for Next-gen with sufficient RT on board (no matter NV or ATI).

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    Nothing is going to bite AMD or Nvidia in the a**.
    It won't, simply because they will have already made their profit from sales to mining companies.
    At the point of market saturation they'll be onto the next series.
    If mining is not at peak during release, these same folks will be clamoring for it at whatever price these companies justify.
    Unfortunately, boycotting their products will never work because they have too many alternatives and too many people who will buy at what ever cost they dictate.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Chess likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/lsy23t/lenovo_develops_radeon_rx_6800_xt_and_rx_6900_xt/

https://www.techpowerup.com/279030/...-and-rx-6900-xt-legion-edition-graphics-cards

Bigger but as a comment pointed out it does indeed look a lot like the Radeon VII, not bad and probably quite effective due to the larger dimensions.
    (More metal at least. ~ Makes it cool. :p )

EDIT: Downside though other than looking like a big box is that it's big box design is very likely going to be at least a 3 slot design.
    (It extends a bit from the bracket after all so 3 definitively but possibly just a tad longer still.)

7. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    A solution could be for nVidia or AMD to disable any form of mining on what we know as gaming cards and limit mining to Titan, Quadro of Firefly ( AMD pro?) cards.
    They do so with many other non-gaming things like large scale rendering or AI, and miners have the money for Pro cards.

Now, of-course, that will bite into the world of pro users, but they can write that off as a business expense anyway.
    And... the current situation is absolutely LOVED by anyone touching this cards expect end users.: The fab plants, the manufacturers, the AIB partners, the shop ( be it online, brick and mortar or Ye Olde Scalpers ).

I'm not sure how many blue screens and freezes my wife can handle on her broken RX480, but we have no decent options to replace it.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Depends on cause. But maybe underclock can help. If it is ever in state it no longer boots, I would check capacitors for damage. And if those are OK, I would take heat gun. Isolated everything around GPU and "reballed" it in gheto way. Or if you know capable repair shop. Today even RX480 is worth effort spent on fixing.

Chess likes this.
  9. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    Good points all around, though I'm hesitant for the heatgun / over baked treatment.
    I'll try undervolting for sure!

Understand: It's dying but not dead yet. If I screw up, we have NO gpu :). So I better go the safe route

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  10. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    This whole talk by Nvidia about crippling hash rate is idiotic at best.
    People need to focus and stop just looking off the tip of their noses...
    The claim is...they're doing it to slow mining, which will ultimately lead to less shortages.
    That's horses***.
    It is just their way of playing the good cop by saying...'See! We are in your corner on this'.
    The basis for the shortage is the sheer number of companies who can directly set up a meeting with these companies and then have hundreds of thousands of these chips shipped right from the production line to mining farms.
    It isn't the odd guy or gal buying two or three to setup a mining rig in their living room.
    Gimping his/her card does nothing to fix the issue.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    PrEzi likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    none of which are parts that were ever intended to end up on your gaming pc anyway.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Isn't it what he said? That graphics cards were made with intention to sell directly to people who have zero interest in using them for their graphical capabilities?
    Anyway, entire nVidia "rant" here is not exactly relevant to AMD thread. It is not like nV is stealing AMD's production capacity by producing chips which take shortest possible road to mining rigs.
    AMD has own guilt here too.

pharma and OnnA like this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, he said the opposite, that the chips are no longer available to be used in gaming cards because miners got them instead.

The only ones guilty of that are Zotac, but as for the chip supplier, nvidia hasn't sold grade chips to anyone other than gaming card manufacturers.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Weird. Maybe I got what he meant. Maybe I did not.
    But I am quite sure that from linguistic point of view, he did not imply that nVidia would be doing direct miner sales. (Companies to companies sounds weird, but sentiment is clear.)

Anyway, I do not blame nVidia for doing such thing. I think both AMD and nVidia should help to resolve current state as it is going on for way too long.
    Both should put effort to circumvent dysfunctional supply chain.

Edit: And that's how misunderstandings come to be.
    What I meant to write is: "Anyway, I do not accuse nVidia of doing such thing."

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Chess likes this.
  15. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I wonder if this is a sign of the future.

I always figured Gamers ( I am one myself ) swap hardware out too soon.
    It's not like the cellphone industry that basically forces one to swap phones every 2-3 years because of sloppy programming of apps and the possibility of using almost useless features/gadgets.
    Facebook for example is less efficiently written than a steam powered refrigerator. Most users don't use more resources/apps than they did 5 years ago. ( read: Joe sixpack, not powerusers obv. )

Old but semi powerful PC hardware can be used for YEARS if one chooses the right games. I think you can collect pretty cheap games running on 2014-2016 era hardware to fill a few years of time yet.
    Certainly the case with indy games. #Patientgamers and all that.
    We've just been brainwashed that we need the best and latest.

On the other hand, I myself, am not very aware of the compute side of GFX cards.
    It might be that gamers are a mere few percent of the total GFX chip market by now.

Basically I'd like to convince gamers to stop buying new hardware until you don't have another options, see how AMD/nVidia and other like that.
    Naïve? Yes, almost certainly, but I soooo would like to see the reaction of the industry.

Excuse my ramblings. I'm coffee fueled and scatterbrained at the moment.

Embra, OnnA and Fox2232 like this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, planned (software) obsolescence is what made me drop Samsung as phone brand. What's the point in buying best chip they have when they stop releasing software updates in same amount of time as they do with worst chip phones?
    Instead I buy phone with same top chip from other brand which is much cheaper and gives security and android (major and minor version) updates for longer.

#patientgamers can as well be #1080p gamer. With PC we have control in form of planning build ourselves based on intended use.

Many users are in 4K trap. Where they have option to run lower resolutions, but those are morally obsolete for them.
    I happen to be in similar situation with 240Hz screen. I like fluid gameplay it gives when HW can deliver high fps. But there is difference in distribution of information per frame and time.

Where 240Hz screen can go down in fluid way to 60hz and reducing desired "information rate" by 75%. Dynamically scaling from 4K to 1080p which would be "per frame information" reduction up to same 75% is not available. And that forces people to buy new graphics.

I think that as long as gamers will like gaming, they (we) will continue to buy HW when we do not need to.
    Would AMD be able to deliver 6800XT, I would as well got Valve's VR headset. My plan was to play Rogue Squadron with those two things.
    (And that means I did not buy Rogue Squadron as well as any other game which I would buy in situation I had VR headset.)

Chess likes this.
  17. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    yeah now i'm playing retrogames like just cause 3 due to the unavailablility of the new radeons

but I always bought used parts like the rx580 I own now, and that was quite old even when released. your thoughts imho are right only if you buy expensive parts ex. 1080ti in 2016/2017: it's enaugh powerful still today.

Fox2232 and Chess like this.
  18. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    That's the one I own and it serves me well at 2k / 120Hz
    It's nuts when you see these RX580 fly 2nd hands at €500-600... and they're sold in half a day. 4 year old hardware? Nuts.

I'm having a nice time replaying GuildWars..1 ;). It's nice, but I know it won't last long. I play it mainly for the atmosphere of the Shiverpeaks and the tunes of Jemery Soule.
    My GOG account is pretty happy with me as well.

I quite understand that. I have the same with mid end audio. You miss out on info that is there.
    As far as VR, I own an Index and I've not even completed Alyx. I don't know why exacly since, when I continue, I really like it.
    Perhaps I'm not in a good place for it. Right now. Screendoor effect gets me from time to time.

Here's hoping for an elimination of screendoor effect in combination of standard DLSS function for every VR game.

Embra and Fox2232 like this.
  19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I'm just glad I bought my 5700 XT back in Jan 2020 from MicroCenter. They were still selling at normal pricing. (I paid $429 for my Nitro+) I play at 4K but a lot of my games are RPG / MMO type, so kinda old. Any game that has issues with 4K I just run them at 85% resolution and apply RIS. Works out very well.

OnnA and Embra like this.
  20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV