New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    AMD Navi 21 is Sienna Cichlid

The speculation is over, Sienna Cichlid is indeed Navi 21 and Navy Flounder is Navi 22. This is all confirmed by AMD through ROCm Developer Tools source code.
    Whether these codenames refer to the specific products (such as Radeon Pro), we don’t know yet.
    We do at least know for sure that these codenames are used internally by AMD open-source software developers in regard to Navi 2X series of GPUs.

[​IMG]

AMD ROCm Developer Tools (gdb/doc/gdb.texinfo)

As explained by the developers themselves, those codenames have no meaning, they are generated from a random selection of word lists.
    We believe this is a technique to derail the interest of everyone looking for RDNA2 GPUs information. After all, it took nearly 3 months to finally see a single line of code connecting the codenames to GPUs.

The nature of open-source software allows everything to track the progress of next-generation Radeon graphics.
    Historically they were always added weeks ahead of launches, so whenever something happening in the code, we knew new GPUs were coming.

Just three days ago we reported on a third codename had appeared in AMD OpenGL driver (Mesa) code.
    AMD Dimgrey Cavefish is more than likely Navi 23, a third GPU in the GFX103X family, this, however, was not confirmed in the code (like Navi21 and Navi22), but rather deduced from available data.

Note:
    So we have 3 SKUs for RDNA2 (GFX 1030, 1031 & 1032)
    6900 or Arcturus
    6800/6700
    6600/6500

-> https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-sienna-cichlid-confirmed-as-navi-21-navy-flounder-is-navi-22

[​IMG]

lukas_1987_dion and pharma like this.
  2. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    AMD has another 'golden' opportunity given the 'cock up' by some Nvidia AIB partners.
    I have to admit I was a bit concerned for AMD' sale numbers...given the long lead Nvidia and their partners had to market
    The reported 'drop to desktop' issue is suspected to be electrical noise at elevated boost frequency.
    It is suspected to be as a result of power filtering of lesser quality than the OEM board.
    Given this information and the fact that some of these were top end manufacturer's...in some cases charging much more...
    How likely will you be to buy AIB partner offerings on the AMD side versus the reference cards?

3. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    Just wait 1-2 weeks before buying, let people beta test the launch batch.

On nvidia side some aib maybe under spec their cards, or the spec was right and its boost ¿2.0? at fault pushing too high.

OnnA likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Yeah cant wait to see how AMD screw up their launch too.

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Hopefully not. They actually may have a great chance here, but they have to take advantage of it.

Saabjock, OnnA and Undying like this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    We really need HBM2 Part to be Real.
    It will be ATI selling point for me, i don't wanna downgrade... to mere GDDR ;)

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
  8. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX6900XT
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Could be expensive? I say let it be. Amd needs a high end gpu we just want a good product.

PrEzi likes this.
  10. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    80CU Big Navi Confirmed!
    socket_power_limit_ac[0] (W) = 238 !!!
    freq_table_gfx[1] (MHz) = 2200 !!!
    Check the Reddit post!

Technical specifications of AMD's upcoming Navi 21, 22 and 23 GPUs have leaked out via reddit user stblr (via Videocardz). This is an absolute motherlode of a leak that the user has managed to put together with what appears to be painstaking accuracy. The information was reverse-engineered from drivers present in the MacOs and is likely legitimate. We will not be marking this as a rumor as we have no reason to believe this information is inaccurate in any way.

Navi 21: 80 CUs, 2.2 GHz boost clock and 22.5 TFLOPs of compute
    From the table we can see that the Navi 21 GPU (likely the RX 6900 XT) will have 80 CUs. Assuming the ratio of CU to SP remains the same we are looking at 5120 stream processors. Now Navi 21 appears to have two further variants, 21a and 21b with the former clocking up to 2.2 GHz. This would put the single precision compute performance of the cards at a solid 22.5 TFLOPs. For comparison, the NVIDIA RTX 3080 has a single precision compute performance of 29.8 TFLOPs. This card, if priced correctly by AMD could be a an absolute winner. 22 TFLOPs of power is more than enough for the average 4k gamer and something the 16GB of vRAM would make it tear through AAA games. AMD does neeed to work on a DLSS alternative however.

Navi 22: 40 CUs, 2.5 GHz boost clock and 12.8 TFLOPs of compute
    The younger brother of flagship, the Navi 22 GPU will have 40 CUs. This is (assuming the same CU to SP ratio) 2560 shader cores. Impressively however, it looks like we are finally going to get a mainstream 2.5 GHz GPU with Navi 22. The high clock rate also helps the card punch way above its weight class and clock in a massive 12.8 TFLOPs of compute. This is performance that is slightly more than the Xbox Series X and more than enough for 4k gaming (if you dont mind dialing down the settings just a little bit).

There is a Navi 23 present as well which will have 32 CUs (2048 cores). There is however, no more information and no clock speed information - which likely means this GPU is still in the pipeline.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Goiur, JonasBeckman, OnnA and 3 others like this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Funny thing is that 29.9TFLOPs of FP32 with Ampere is about same shader power as Turing with ~22TFLOPs of FP32. And 23.5TFLOPs of FP32 with RDNA1.
    In other words 22.5 TFLOPs of FP32 with RDNA2 is likely about same as what 3080 has or better if there are tiny improvements.
    And considering difficulty in scaling and that RDNA2 has 5120 SP while 3080 has 8704 SP, I think there is good chance that in many workloads that are hard to optimize will RDNA2 win.

What is important is memory bandwidth. While keeping certain results inside GPUs cache can save a lot of energy/bandwidth/latency from memory writes/reads, and provide unparallel bandwidth for those cached results, it remains to be seen how good GPU/driver is in deciding what to keep there.
    16GB GDDR6 @16Gbps via 256bit bus will provide theoretical 512GB/s. Reading+writing mere 10GB at that bandwidth will take 19.5ms => Prevents fps going above 51.2.
    Therefore, even if card has 16GB of VRAM, reading+writing more than 8GB per frame will effectively prevent card from going above 60fps. And if that's the case, people should understand that remaining 8GB VRAM can serve as cache at best.

I would personally prefer 10x 1GB GDDR6 @18Gbps for total 720GB/s bandwidth. This would give card higher fps potential at cost of higher power draw from memory.
    And again, since this memory configuration is not expected, that inner 128MB cache which helps with freeing and boosting effective memory subsystem bandwidth will play big role.
    (Unless we have been baited and card will have HBM2e.)

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Looking at the navi 22 those 2.5ghz looks very impressive but is it 40cu enough? Surely it cant be faster more than 30% vs 5700xt taking even architectural improvement.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Most of RX 5700 XT's boosted to 1930 MHz out of the box in all games. Rest needed small help in form of increasing power limit. Mine was easy to undervolt and OC for around 2030~2050MHz boost.

Therefore I would expect minimum 30% performance boost from 2.5GHz if that clock is real and memory bandwidth is sufficient.

Optimum CU count for me would be 60~64. But I will not complain if AMD sells me good, power efficient card with 80CUs at Ryzenable price.

Maddness, G13Homi and Undying like this.
  14. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Navi 21 looks wonderful... I want 2 of them. lol

15. DethZero

DethZero Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC2
    If this card matches 3080.... it will be HUGE accomplishment! If it beats it at a few things (we only need 10 to 15% improvement), it could trade blows with 3090 which could cause nvidia's flagship to be DOA if AMD prices the cards correctly!

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    AMD Navi 21, 22 and 23 Massive Technical Specifications Leak – Flagship Navi 21 GPU To Have 80 CUs

Technical specifications of AMD's upcoming Navi 21, 22 and 23 GPUs have leaked out via reddit user stblr (via Videocardz). This is an absolute motherlode of a leak that the user has managed to put together with what appears to be painstaking accuracy.
    The information was reverse-engineered from drivers present in the MacOs and is likely legitimate. We will not be marking this as a rumor as we have no reason to believe this information is inaccurate in any way.

more with Table -> https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-21-22-and-23-massive-technical-specification-leaked/

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The 3090 really isn't a gamer card, I think the upcoming 3080Ti(Super) with 20GB will be the gamer flagship, which will probably outperform the 3090. We're at the point where AMD shows their hand, then NV will attempt to leapfrog, and we'll see how that goes. Either way, that Navi21 will be a solid performer.

Maddness likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    Interesting so anything that doesn't bin into a 6900 (Navi21 A?) or a 6900XT / Anniversary(?) (Navi21 B then?) would be cut to a 40 CU version.
    Hmm that's probably going to mean there's a lot of 6800's and from there the 6700's and then the clock speeds and info and performance comparisons against the 5700 and also the 5700 against the 3080 or 3090 but how Navi20 scales will show final performance figures here.

Said binning and amount of 6800's might also be something like a RDNA2 super-charged 5700 sort of card with the better ones hitting closer to that 2500 maximum speeds here pushing it further in how this card performs but we'll see how that turns out too I suppose and the average here maybe closer to 2200 - 2300 plus thermals and power draw and with this range defaults here and voltages might be a bit higher trying to maximize gains from AMD's side again.
    (Well or how to put it, hardware wise it's similar but it's RDNA2 also.)

Should be good availability for these as I'm seeing it.
    6900 and the full 80 units and 5120 cores total and scaling will also be really interesting, could hit up to the 3080 or even a bit above for the 3090 depending on how it all ends up.
    Slightly lower clock speeds but the GPU has more hardware in turn and could still clock up well depending on what the Wattman limits are here and some tweaking.

Just missing the price tag now and street availability date.
    Unless it's going to be early October Zen3 and later October Navi20 after AMD's little presentation here or what it's going to be.

Competitive in the high end segment almost immediately is going to make for some nice competition even if market popularity and demand is very heavily on NVIDIA at the moment.
    Plus a starter of RDNA3 here with the Navi31 listing. :)

19. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    So based on the socket_power_limit_ac[0] (W) which is set to 238 Watts for the biggest model (like Jonas said - might be 6900XTX or Anniversary Edition) I would wish we could crank it up to say --- 270 or 280 just to see how it compares against such power hogs as Ampere and how the performance in that regions looks like. I personally don't have a problem with it reaching 300W (VEGA64 Liquid Cooled Edition owner here LoL), but for that I want to see some nice big and sexy numbers (and I don't mean only power draw numbers lol).
    But on the first look RDNA2 would be pretty sleek when we are talking about power consumption!

20. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    The roadmap image leaked suggests it's not a Ti - just a 3080 with 20gb.