1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's Part 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 56
    It may sound weird to you, but we still dont know what amd has with navi, not untill 3rd party reviews.

Anyway is good to see you are holding the nvidia fort. You should stay on nvidia threads so you could live in peace of mind. If by any chance navi has something interesting you could get hurt.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I have an idea why the Navi parts are so expensive.
    It gives them wiggle room to drop the prices immediately,and sort of look good.
    At that price, they may not sell very many, but they may not have made that many either.

I would hope the next chiplet based cards are coming on just fine, and it being the New World Order or something, they won't want to have loads of a soon-to-be-superseded chip.

On a side note:
    I was thinking about AMD chipsets/IO die bits last night.
    CPU's are connected with IF links to the IO die.

The next GPU chiplets are going to be connected the same way, thru IF links.
    The chipset IO die for TR etc, could be used for the Chiplet GPU.

Would it be better to make one IO die for CPU and GPU, and have all of the memory controllers on-board (GDDR/DDR/HBM), or make an IO die for each ?
    I would expect the Ryzen IO die to be fairly simple, but might have HBM and DDR for APU's, or consoles, where they would also have GDDR.
    TR should be able to have on package HBM, and DDR, i just don't see the need for GDDR on TR IO die, unless it is also the IO die for GPU's.

Two IO die could cover the whole lot, a third for Servers/Instinct maybe.

What i can't guess yet, is the chiplet config.
    100W/chiplet seems good, 4 max per card (a LOT like Threadripper for enthusiast end (4chiplets), Ryzen for high mid (2 chiplets)
    Going by the power consumption of the 5700 cards, thats about 1280 shaders per chiplet, with the 5700 shaders.
    That makes 5120 for the top enthusiast end.

With 7nm+, they could squeeze 1536 per chiplet, and have a "special BIOS" setting that allows a lot more.

edit: The extra PCie lanes would be used for NVMe storage on the Instinct cards, one for the Ryzen IO based card, and two (or more) for the TR based IO die card.
    The Ryzen IO die would have the IF link to the two GPU chiplets, with the x16 link going to the Slot, and the extra x4's for the NVMe (or two).

(Who's to say we won't start seeing NVMe slots on enthusiast GPU cards for local texture storage etc ..? PCIe 4.0 x4 ?)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    "...but they may not have made that many either."

Or there was indeed problem with early Navi, so they needed to tap it-out again thus loss & price hike.
    We need ATI statement on the matter.

TBF nobody will pay that price.
    BTW RTX was a failure also (price in mind).

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    They'll probably follow Nvidia on their price drop, and it will be $70-100 cheaper on release, or when Nvidia do theirs.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Quit the jokes. OpenGL is not used anywhere near to what can be called "major". And for the rest, you do not know till reviews.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Quite deluded you are.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Thank You. It is a lot from you.
    But I would expect your highness to remove my delusions with facts instead of ...

Facts are only thing which separates us. Sadly reality is personal thing deformed by perception and experiences. And sadly two people can't share it.
    So, can you leave those remarks out and instead be either factual or keep quiet?

If I behaved in nVidia section way you do here, I would not be here for quite some years.

Goiur likes this.
  8. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Here's a weird slide from one of the 11 decks AMD handed out on June 10. Really looking forward to the reviews!
    [​IMG]

AMD June 10 Decks:
    3rd_Gen_Ryzen_06102019.pdf
    Adrenalin_Edition_2019_06102019.pdf
    Game_Developers_06102019.pdf
    CPU_Architecture_06102019.pdf
    Ryzen_Deep_Dive_06102019.pdf
    Radeon_5700_06102019.pdf
    Radeon_5000_06102019.pdf
    Physical_Design_06102019.pdf
    Graphics_Architecture_06102019.pdf
    Radeon_Architecture_06102019.pdf
    Architecture_06102019.pdf

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I agree with the OpenGL performance deficit, however, the DirectX 11 performance lag was fixed back in when Adrenalin was introduced. (maybe even before that) The differences in performance is now strictly hardware differences. I tested this with DX11 vs Mantle in DA:I, and noted how DX11 performance was now on par with Mantle, vs a year earlier where Mantle was decidedly a better performer.

OnnA and G13Homi like this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    As for OpenGL it all depends on extensions used by the devs ;)
    Some games run Ok some don't.... But all of this is History now -> DX12 & VLK is the future !

11. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I am seriously thinking that we may have prices be $50-100 cheaper within a month or two after launch. NVIDIA is fairly certain to lower their prices (with or without some "Super" edition release) and I have to expect that AMD will also lower their prices to at least match if not beat NVIDIA. If the 5700 XT happened to be selling for $350 by the end of Summer I think it would please many (including myself).

12. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    MaestroBayten and Chastity like this.
  13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
  14. pharma

pharma Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Fox2232 likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I leave here this from Phoronix who previously claimed that Navi is 100% GCN and therefore no extra driver changes were needed for linux.
    "As we've been expecting, AMD's open-source developers today posted their set of patches enabling Navi (10) support within their AMDGPU DRM kernel driver. Bringing up the Navi support in kernel-space are 459 patches amounting to more than four-hundred thousand lines of code, not counting the work done to LLVM as part of their shader compiler back-end or the yet-to-be-published OpenGL/Vulkan driver patches. "

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Acer releases its NITRO EI491CRP 144Hz 3840x1080 FreeSync 2 HDR monitor in the UK

Acer's NITRO EI491CRP monitor has now become available in the UK, shipping for a lower than expected price of £799.99 (at Overclockers UK), packing a super-wide resolution of 3840x1080, a 144Hz refresh rate and support for AMD's FreeSync 2 HDR technology.

The dual-wide monitor offers almost everything that a PC gamer could want, from high-refresh rates to Adaptive-Sync compatibility and HDR support, albeit DisplayHDR400 support.
    Thankfully, this screen's lower than optimal HDR support is made up for by AMD's FreeSync 2 technology, which allows games to make the best use of FreeSync 2 displays by allowing game software to display its content optimally after looking at the screen's specifications.
    This will allow FreeSync 2 compliant games to look their best on FreeSync 2 HDR displays.

Looking at this monitor's specifications we can see that FreeSync 2 HDR is supported alongside 120Hz refresh rates over HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2, though 144Hz refresh rates are also possible when using this screen's overclock mode.
    Acer also lists a variable refresh rate range of 48-120FPS, which should expand to 48-144Hz on overclock mode.

On the colour side of the spectrum, the Acer EI491CRPbmiiipx (yeah, the full name is awful isn't it?) offers support for an extended colour gamut, one which is equivalent to 90% DCI-P3 coverage,
    while also providing high contrast levels and low latency display input, as is required by AMD's FreeSync 2 HDR specification.

The monitor will ship with support for VESA mounts, with the display's stock stand offering support for tilt, swivel and height adjustment.

The resolution and aspect ratio of this display makes it equivalent to two 1080p monitors sitting side-by-side, allowing the Acer EI491CRPbmiiipx to act as a single screen alternative to a dual-monitor setup, which is great news for ultra-wide gamers.
    Such a setup with two displays would have a bezel sitting in-between a set to twinned monitors, making it unusable for most modern games, Ultra-wide monitors mitigate this issue entirely, which is why a super-wide monitor like this is well suited to gaming.

[​IMG]

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Rumor: No custom Radeon RX 5700 designs until mid august.

Tech site Fudzilla said it was surprised there were no AMD AiB partner announcements to coincide with AMD's unveiling of the first Navi graphics cards.

Probing a little deeper, it is quoting various sources and its headline says that custom Radeon RX 5700 designs won't arrive until mid August "if all goes well".
    Fudzilla's report sounds reasonable but, standing alone as it does, it might require a little pinch of salt.
    (BTW some Computex reports mentioned ASRock had Navi graphics card prototypes on show (see image below), but the AMD partner was cagy about exactly what it was showing.)

Fudzilla offers its praise to the reference Radeon RX 5700 XT cooler design - which will be your only choice if you want to purchase this card for the first month or so.
    As noted in the slide above, the blower type cooler isn't something lazily repurposed from a previous generation.
    It has a thoughtfully put together component set including air flow optimised and acoustically tuned contours, uses vapour chamber cooling tech, it is OC ready with its 7-phase digital power, and AMD has pre-applied a specially selected graphite based TIM.

[​IMG]

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    So it's kind of like with Polaris the customs will come at some point in time.

OnnA likes this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD RDNA: Navi 10, 12, 14, 21 appeared in Linux drivers

AMD has introduced on the E3 Navi - a chip with ├╝berabeiteter architecture, which is now called RDNA and initially comes as Navi 10 via Radeon RX 5700 (XT) on the market.
    In Linux drivers now more models were spotted, namely Navi 12, 14, 21 and Navi 10 Lite. This stimulates speculation about other models.
    A data analyst has found hints on Navi 10, 12, 14, 21 and Navi 10 Lite in a Linux driver.

AMD would have in addition to the Radeon RX 5700 and Radeon 5700 XT, which are based on Navi 10, a whole series of other models in the hindquarters, put on differently tailored chips of the basic design.

As expected, it is now speculated about what these models might look like. General standard opinion is currently that Navi 10 and 12 are aimed at the middle class market, in which there are also the majority of customers.
    At Navi 14, it is believed that the cards are geared towards the entry-level market and Navi 21 could become a high-end card. Or at least be settled above the mainstream.

The code also includes the letters P and M, which are assigned to the words performance and mobile. In addition, two steppings to Navi 10 were mentioned in the data - A0 and B0.
    On the basis of the well-known information on Navi 10 or Radeon RX 5700 (XT) is now a table round, Navi 14 transferred to a Radeon RX 5500 and Navi 12 in a Radeon RX 5600, each against the GeForce GTX 1650 or 1660 could be addressed.

Navi 21, meanwhile, will be a Radeon RX 5800 and could be seen as an attack on the Geforce RTX 2080 and Geforce RTX 2080 Ti.
    The RX 5700 XT is known to operate on the same level as the Geforce RTZX 2070, according to AMD marketing films - for a lower price of $ 50

[​IMG]

Jackalito, Maddness and Undying like this.
  20. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    So, Navi12 or Navi14 as the base for the Navi21 (chiplets?)= ?

I'd go Navi12, with slightly lower clocks, or better binned chips.