New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's Part 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 28, 2018.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    LG 32UL750-W is a 32-inch 4K Monitor with DisplayHDR 600 and FreeSync

LG introduced the 32UL750-W, a 32-inch (technically 31.5-inch) 4K Ultra HD monitor boasting of VESA DisplayHDR 600 certification, and support for AMD FreeSync.
    The monitor also offers an internal feature that attempts to convert SDR content to HDR via post-processing.
    Based on a VA panel, the monitor offers 178°/178° viewing angles, 4 ms (GTG) response-time, support for 1.07 billion colors (10 bpc), and up to 60 Hz refresh-rate.

Other key panel specs include 3000:1 static-contrast ratio and 400 cd/m² maximum brightness. Display inputs include two HDMI 2.0, a DisplayPort 1.4, and USB type-C (with DisplayPort wiring).
    If this USB connection also includes USB link-layer wiring, the monitor will use it to drive a 2-port USB 3.0 (type-A) hub.

-> https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UL750-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor

[​IMG]

warlord, Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Arcturus in New XboX.
    (is this leaked Anubis ?)

4-Way Engines = 256ROPs?
    GDDR6?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    CES 2019 Question and Answer Session with AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su

One of the major highlights of CES was the reveal of AMD’s next generation Matisse processor. With the cores built on TSMC’s 7nm process, the demonstration of the eight core processor showed performance parity with Intel’s latest eight core, 5 GHz consumer processor – all while consuming less power than the Intel part.
    AMD’s CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, was on stage to present both Matisse, due for launch in the middle of 2019, and the new line of Radeon VII graphics cards, also using TSMC’s 7nm. We caught up with Lisa for part of a roundtable Q&A session after the keynote presentation.

These roundtable Q&A sessions are relatively informal, however it must seem almost like a job interview to the interviewee.
    Dr. Su had a couple of team members on hand, but there were almost a dozen press at the event, including PCWorld, Engadget, PCGamesHardware, Digital Trends, CNBC (I think?), and of course, AnandTech. Rather than take turns, questions were freeflowing from all directions and jumped around a lot.
    For the sake of sanity, we have rearranged the questions into topics, as well as tidied up some of the questions and answers to make them readable (it turns out, people don’t speak in normal sentences).

Many thanks to Dr. Su and her team for their time.
    Also a big thanks to Gavin Bonshor for his excellent transcription.

More:
    -> https://www.anandtech.com/show/13909/ces-2019-amd-ceo-dr-lisa-su

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I finally found time to look at patent filling from few posts back. Not bad. If we excuse all block structure size (count) variability... it is mainly about utilization and dealing with stalls. (Gaming performance vs. TFLOPs is going to change.)
    Some extra caches in right places, data multiplxers, chaining execution of different data properly to minimize duplicate fetching, ...
    And something what is not there directly, but hinted... HSA is still important part of AMD's approach. I think that information in that patent shows enough to make me believe AMD can pull GPU Chiplets. Filling date being Jul 2017 and that it had to be cooked in-house for some time and tested... Maybe, just maybe, some of it may end up in Navi.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Maddness and OnnA like this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ Very technical, but i like that :D :p

PS.
    Im operating on 'Simple Variables'

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  8. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    I really wish he had been right on the price. But it has become obvious that Radeon 7 is priced as it is because of the manufacturing cost of making the card. This would have been a killer product at $549.

I really hope he is right about the card having some sort of Ray Tracing capability. If it does, I may even look a crossfire which is something I haven't done since my Sapphire 290 X Tri-X days.

OnnA likes this.
  9. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    So i have some good news, I ended up testing display scaling on linux, and it would appear amd's new displaycode, let me exceed the typical resolution limit for downscaling on windows, still in the preliminary testing, but so far, from a 1680x1050 native , i have been able to set 4608x2880, tried 5040x3150 but no dice, but still much better than on windows for polaris, i'd imagine vega will be able to do more.

if anyone on linux is curious, the sequence of commands goes as such
    first set the power state to high

Code:
    sudo bash -c 'echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level'

then create a modeline to use
    Code:
    cvt 3840 2400 60

//outputs
    Modeline "3840x2400_60.00" 793.77 3840 4160 4584 5328 2400 2401 2404 2483 -HSync +Vsync

then use xrandr to setup the resolution
    Code:
     //this sets your desired output to scale resolutions
    xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --set "scaling mode" "Full"

//this adds a new mode
    xrandr --newmode "3840x2400" 793.77 3840 4160 4584 5328 2400 2401 2404 2483 -HSync +Vsync

//this adds the new mode to the desired output
    xrandr --addmode HDMI-A-0 3840x2400

//and finally to test the new mode USE WITH CAUTION! everthing will become very very small!
    xrandr --output HDMI-A-0 --mode 3840x2400

note:
    this is not persistent, everything will be cleared after a reboot

edit: ended up around 4960x3100, not too shabby.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD's next generation Arcturus GPU lineup, which was code-named and leaked by an employee over at the "Phoronix Forums" might see a change/shift in the GPU arch (post 2020).
    It makes sense to some extent. It won't be GCN as per speculation.
    Because AMD has been operating on a shoestring budget until quite recently, with limited resources to pour into new GPUs.

Because, after all the “ARCTURUS” codename comes from the red giant star which is the brightest in the constellation of Bootes and among the brightest stars that can be seen from space.
    Similar to Vega and Navi, both of which are also some of the brightest stars visible in the night sky, the naming scheme takes inspiration from the time since RTG was created.

Maddness likes this.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Our User @51cent found some interesting stuff in 19.1.2 :D

" I have skimmed through "amdxn64.dll" with a hex editor.
    Looks like AMD is cooking some raytracing stuff there! "

[​IMG]

Great Job Bratan'

Maddness likes this.
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    bvh64 is likely for scientific applications/Radeon7. Let's hope that bvh alone is FP32 based and there is FP16 variant too for maximum speed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  14. ms178

ms178 Active Member

GPU:
    Reference Vega 56
    Wasn't the HSA Foundation supposed to release an updated specification this year? I mean their Chinese chapter already held several meetings and were cooking up something new for inclusion into the global standard. But I haven't heard or read too much about any details yet.

Also I think a new push could be attempted when Gen-Z, CCIX and the new SFF-TA-1002 connector hit the market which greatly advance the interaction between dGPU, iGPU, CPU and memory. Also the new initiative from Intel backing the SYCL standard might have several implications for heterogenious compute from the software side of things.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Radeon Navi GPUs – AMD’s Brand New GPU Architecture, Aimed at Mainstream and High-Performance Gamers

Coming to Navi, AMD’s next biggest GPU architecture release in 2 years, the company would be following a similar strategy of launching it close to the mainstream CPU family.
    This would give AMD an opportunity to highlight their upcoming mainstream Radeon family to potential buyers. The 7th July release date for Navi is also mentioned but considering there are rumors of a delay and the fact that AMD is under pressure from
    TSMC’s overall manufacturing capabilities, we may get an announcement rather than a release on the aforementioned date.

With AMD Radeon VII released, AMD would put their full efforts towards Navi rather than the Vega architecture which has now existed as AMD’s high-end offering since 2017.
    AMD’s Radeon Vega GPUs were designed with HPC in mind but they also served the gaming market.
    There are several prosumer products based around Vega, you can even call the Radeon VII a prosumer card but that might change with Navi.

[​IMG]

With Radeon Navi GPUs, AMD is said to be making gaming a first priority. You see, other than mainstream and high-performance desktop/mobility cards,
    Navi has long been rumored to power the next-generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft.
    AMD talked about partnerships on future platforms with Microsoft’s head of Gaming, Phil Spencer, at CES 2019, further confirming what we were being told.

“As we look forward to future platforms that we’re building and work that we’re doing, the partnership and the innovations that we’ve seen in the past have led to what we’ve been able to do today,
    I think they’re going to be critically important to our future endeavors. I’m really looking forward to showing those to people more in the future.”

– Phil Spencer, Head of Gaming and Xbox at Microsoft

AMD Navi GPUs have been talked as the next big thing coming out from RTG and is likely the last GPU generation to feature GCN architecture as its DNA. With Navi, AMD is going to focus on brand new design changes to the architecture that would help boost its efficiency and performance.
    For comparison, Radeon VII utilizes the 7nm architecture but it is essentially a die shrunk of an existing architecture.
    The Navi GPUs will be designed around 7nm from the start and that would definitely help AMD take full advantage of the 7nm process node.

Previously in interviews, AMD’s CEO, Lisa Su, and AMD’s CTO, Mark Papermaster, both had confirmed a refresh of sorts across their Radeon program.

“We are really excited to start on the high end with our 7nm Radeon VII […] and you will see the announcements over the course of the year as we refresh across our Radeon program.”
    “What we do over the course of the year is what we do every year. We’ll round out the whole roadmap,”

— Mark Papermaster (via The Street)

“We believe, we will be very competitive overall and that includes the high-end of the GPU market. Obviously there are new products out there from our competition.
    We will have our set of new products as well and we will be right there in the mix”

“As it relates to ray tracing in particular I think it’s an important technology, but as with all important technologies it takes time to really have the ecosystem adopt [it].
    And we’re working very closely with the ecosystem on both hardware and software solutions and expect that ray tracing will be an important element especially as it gets more into the mainstream, frankly, of the market.”

— AMD CEO Lisa Su – Nov 27, 2018 – 22nd Annual Credit Suisse Technology, Media & Telecom Conference

RzrTrek likes this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD states that all of its DX12 GPUs support real-time ray tracing via Microsoft’s DXR fallback layer

“Real-time ray tracing” are the latest and hottest buzzwords on the PC.
    And while NVIDIA users have been enjoying these effects, AMD claimed that all of its current DX12 graphics cards support ray tracing via Microsoft’s DXR fallback layer.

According to AMD themselves, their current stack does support the fallback layer.
    https://twitter.com/coreteks/status/1098174427609612288/photo/1
    — coreteks (@coreteks) February 20, 2019

Now as you may know, only the RTX series is currently capable of running the real-time ray tracing effects in the latest games and that’s because AMD has not added support for the fallback layer on its drivers.
    From what we know so far, the only GPU that supports Microsoft’s fallback layer is the NVIDIA Titan V, something that explains why this particular GPU was able to run Battlefield 5 (something we’ve covered in the past).

Performance, however, appears to be underwhelming via this “emulation/software” method.
    This could explain why AMD has not enabled the real-time ray tracing fallback layer on its drivers as its GPUs currently lack hardware components that could accelerate the ray tracing calculations.
    In short, and while theoretically AMD’s DX12 GPUs can support real-time ray tracing.

AMD is free to provide DXR support through their D3D12 drivers though. Any D3D12 GPU is capable of running this DXR code, since it is just an extension of DirectCompute.

Maddness likes this.
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Drops The Price Bomb on Radeon RX Vega 56 Graphics Card, Now Available For $279 US

The Radeon Vega 56 also comes with AMD’s Raise the Game Fully Loaded Bundle which includes 3 AAA title.
    These titles are Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5 and the Division 2 which is $180 US worth of value.

[​IMG]

AMD is offering a huge price cut on their Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics card by offering it at a price point of $279 US.
    The graphics card launched last year and was a really popular graphics card that offered performance close to the flagship Radeon Vega 64 once it was overclocked.

Flash it & UV -> The Greatness awaits

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Maddness likes this.
  18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD Radeon RX 590 and Radeon RX 580 Rumored To Get Price Cuts In The Coming Weeks – Prices Down To $229 US and $199 US, Respectively

The rumor states that the cards to be hit with the new price cuts would be the AMD Polaris based mainstream cards.
    These include the Radeon RX 590 and the Radeon RX 580. The Radeon RX 580 was based on the Polaris 20 GPU architecture while the Radeon RX 590 is based on the Polaris 30 GPU architecture.
    It was also recently rumored that AMD might be introducing their Radeon Navi GPUs in July aiming the mainstream segment so it’s highly likely that they are clearing inventory of Polaris cards before the arrival of next-gen parts.

Rumor: MSRP of RX580 8GB at 199$ and of RX590 at 229$ in next weeks.
    — Bits And Chips – Eng (@BitsAndChipsEng) February 22, 2019

Both cards have the same GPU configuration of 2304 stream processors, 144 TMUs and 32 ROPs. Both cards even feature the same memory configuration of 8 GB GDDR5 VRAM, running across a 256-bit wide bus interface at a clock speed of 8000 MHz.
    The only differences between the cards are their manufacturing process and clock speeds.
    While the RX 580 is more close to the RX 480 with its 14nm process node and up to 1340 MHz clocks, the RX 590 utilizes the 12nm process to deliver clock speeds of up to 1545 MHz.

rafaelluik and Fox2232 like this.
  20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    A lot of useful information (and mandatory pr), but thanks for posting; what a time to be alive, but the waiting game is killing me! :p