New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's Part 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I think it's just a revamped MI50 Instinct card repurposed for gaming, ergo low R&D costs, and product is already being manufactured. Just modify vBIOS, done. :) Pretty smart move to offer as a stopgap to Big Navi.

G13Homi and OnnA like this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Navi is better than ATI/AMD expected to be :D

3 Vega GPUs was cancelled due to this (they will not give high priced Vega w/HBM2 to just replace it by Navi w/GDDR6 in the mid year for fraction of the cost)
    Also Navi 10 chip is smaller than Polaris 14nm, thus good wafer yields & low cost.
    AMD/ATI want to stay Ok for Us, the customers :rolleyes:
    We can be assured that Medium Navi (or Navi 10) will be as fast as Vega64 LC ! for ~249€/$

June/July and we will know for sure if it's true.
    So Navi 10 + FreeSync and Gaming at 70-100FPS at 1440p for just 500-600€ (GPU+HDR Monitor)
    I know for sure that HD4xxx/HD5xxx times will come back fast.

Some Leaks from AdoredTV and some are mine + it's logical and up for discussion.
    Also don't be affraid of Navi Re-Taping ;) Vega was Re-Taped ~5 times.

==

Reporter: The 7nm Vega was not suposed to be a consumer GPU
    Lisa Su: You said that. I never said that.

I said that Vega 7nm with 4xHBM2 1.2TB/s will be done for gamers :D
    And we have Radeon VII.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD's new GPU helps push 4K and frame rates to new levels -- and it launches for $699 this February.

CES 2019 marks the first time AMD has ever given a keynote at the international trade show -- so naturally, you'd expect the company's debut conference to be packed.
    On Wednesday morning, AMD President and CEO Lisa Su didn't disappoint, talking up the company's upcoming third-gen Ryzen desktop CPUs,
    the new Epyc Rome chips for data centers and how, in partnership with Acer and HP, it debuted the first ever AMD-powered Chromebooks.

AMD's biggest announcement of the show, however, is clearly the Radeon VII: The world's first 7-nanometer gaming graphics card.

Thinking about an upgrade? Expect a Vega-based GPU with 16GB of HBM2 memory and over 1TBps of bandwidth.
    Basically, enough horsepower that the company feels comfortable making some big promises.

At a separate press conference at CES 2019, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang threw some shade at AMD, calling the announcement underwhelming.

Su, in a follow-up interview after the keynote, said she was confident about her products.

"When people see all the specs and nitty gritty details, you'll find we're very competitive," she said on Wednesday at the Palazzo Hotel in Las Vegas.

"It's a high-end card for those operating on the bleeding edge."

AMD says the Radeon VII will boost performance by 29 percent in games like Battlefield V, up to 25 percent for esports titles and as much as 40 percent in games that support Vulkan.
    The company says users who rely on programs like Adobe Premiere and Blender should get a notable bump in performance as well.

To prove this point, AMD trotted out a 4K demo of Devil May Cry 5 during the conference. We don't have the full benchmark for how the game performed, but it was gorgeous at a glance.
    Su says the 4K demo was running "well above" 60 fps -- leaving no doubt that the new GPU will be able to handle Dante's next adventure when it launches later this year.

The Radeon VII is due to launch on Feb. 7 at an MSRP of $699 (roughly £550 or AU$975). It's not the most expensive GPU on the market right there,
    but you can still breathe easy if it leaves you with a light pocketbook: Radeon VII buyers will also get copies of The Division 2, Capcom's upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake and Devil May Cry 5.

-> https://www.cnet.com/news/amd-radeon-vii-announced-at-ces-2019-available-feb-7-for-699/

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10, Navi 9

AMD’s upcoming Navi graphics processors have been discovered in MacOS Mojave update source code.
    The file named “AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext” lists Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10 and Navi 9.

These are likely the names for product variants, not codenames of four different processors.
    In other words, the numbers should describe how many Compute Units are enabled for each device.

The fact that these entries already exist could indicate that Navi is much closer than we thought.
    The rumors about July release are not really exaggerated, we heard about a similar timeframe just last week.

Navi is considered a successor to Polaris architecture. AMD will be focusing on the mid-range market with their new 7nm power-efficient Navi architecture.
    In fact, even Mark Papermaster confirmed that 7nm Radeon VII will be AMD’s top-tier graphics card for the time being.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maddness likes this.

5. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    If those are the CU numbers I'm guessing IGP/APUs as those would be really low CU numbers for discrete cards. It kinda fits with it coming from a MacOS update as well.

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    One never knows. Polaris 10/20 had 36 CUs. Polaris 11 had 16CUs.
    Vega 10/20 has 64CUs.

Then you have product names like Vega 3/8/10/11 which are for APUs and equal to CU count.
    Therefore question is: "Is it product name of chip code name?"

Here, seeing Navi 9/10/12/16... And knowing already existing Vega M GL/GH with 20/24 CUs...
    I do not think Apple would be satisfied with less. Therefore I expect those to be code names. Navi 10 will be likely 32/40CUs. (Likely 40 seeing their new patent.) Navi 12/16 smaller GPUs. And Navi 9?... No idea.

2nd thing is, that if those were integrated in APUs, there would likely be information about CPU part too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    So Navi 10 is looking to replace Polaris 10? Seems about right.

Maddness likes this.
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Depending on clock and that what I have seen in patent it will have in between 50 and 90% higher performance. It will not have some of the old limitations. And if it clocks as 7nm Vega or better...

As for release, I am starting to track availability of RX-570/580/590 cards. Those will slowly go to hell as each AIB prepares to launch new series with higher performance and same price tag. As Polaris prices will crash in light of Navi and nobody wants to have big inventory.

For RX-570/580/590:
    Models in store: 13/19/4
    Available in EU store: 10/15/4 (Delivery in 2 days.)
    Available on store: 5/13/3
    Now, 7 out of 36 models are likely EoL.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  10. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    So should be competing with 2060 lvl? My understanding they could also compete with the 2070.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    If the Fox is right about 50-90% faster than Polaris then it should compete with 2060/2070, maybe even edge out those rtx cards.

Lets hope AMD will price it right and im looking at my next GPU. :)

Maddness and Embra like this.
  12. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The point about existing Apple hardware is well made, I'd consider myself convinced by that.

The reason I suggested APUs is that four codenames are quite a few for an initial release. Polaris and Vega only started with 2 and 1, respectively, before respins/die shrinks so four code names would imply a very broad range of performance for me. Which is intriguing all on its own merits. :)

13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Jackalito likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Interesting read. Navi isnt even arrived yet and we are talking about next gen. We'll see what happens past gcn.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Real-time ray tracing in games will be supported by next-gen XboX Anubis

A recent Reddit post claimed to be presenting some new information about the next-gen Xbox console.
    Now while this post has been deleted, it appears that some information that contained could be true.

Now I’m pretty sure that you are puzzled here as to why we’re covering this story. And to be honest, the answer is simple; if this information is correct, real-time ray tracing may actually be used in a lot of next-gen games.
    Real-time ray tracing will be currently supported by a few PC games, however we may see a lot of such titles (obviously on the PC) provided next-gen consoles support it.

According to Resetera’s member hmqgg, the Xbox SoC codename is Anubis and the console will support raytracing.
    Moreover, at GDC 2019 Microsoft will reveal how it will be implementing real-time ray tracing.

Resetera’s admins have verified the content of a previous post from hmqgg so I believe it’s safe to say that he knows what he’s talking about.

Take everything you’ve read with a grain of salt.
    -> https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...h-good-intentions.94058/page-24#post-17149390

About the reddit leak.

1. The hardware is partially true
    2. Storage is true
    3. Raytracing is true
    4. Lockhart is not Streaming box
    5. Xbox SoC codename is Anubis, check AMD's plan
    6. MS AI is not a part of the hardware, in other words, never heard of TPU or ASIC like it
    7. How to implement Raytracing? See GDC 2019
    8. Why they make a decision like Lockhart? See GDC 2019
    9. Why there still no DevKit? After GDC 2019

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
  17. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    If those prices are even close they will definitely put a nice dent in Nvidia's profits.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    AMD consolidates senior leadership team for 2019

Hot on the heels of its first major CES keynote this month, AMD is ringing in a few notable changes for its senior leadership team. These are important to know because such moves offer insight into how AMD plans to increase market share and growth.

At the upper echelons of leadership - C-level executives - AMD historically hires from other companies. A new role is being created for managing all aspects of strategy, business management and engineering for AMD’s PC, graphics, and semi-custom business lines, and it effectively consolidates a number of existing responsibilities into one.

To this end, starting next week, Dr. Sandeep Chennakeshu is hired in the capacity of Executive Vice President, Computing and Graphics Business Group.
    Steeped in an engineering background, he holds 170 patents and has previously been president of BlackBerry Technology Solutions. Prior to BlackBerry, Chennakeshu served as senior vice president and general manager of Freescale’s Wireless and Mobile business group.

From our viewpoint, it is interesting that AMD has sought the expertise of someone not immediately recognisable in the PC, graphics, or semi-custom business space, though it is sensible to assume that Sandeep Chennakeshu and Lisa Su, AMD CEO,
    have worked closely together before - both had senior leadership roles at Freescale 10 years ago.

In other related news, Mark Papermaster, AMD CTO, arguably the man most behind the engineering efforts for the high-performance Zen architecture, sees his official job title change to Chief Technology Officer and Executive Vice President, Technology and Engineering. It is usual for large technology companies - ~10,000 employees - to have Executive Vice Presidents one notch above Senior Vice Presidents, and to the best of our knowledge, it is the first time that AMD has incorporated the EVP title.

Last but not least, and speaking from a UK perspective, Darren Grasby, the current SVP of Global Computing and Graphics Sales, is promoted to Chief Sales Officer - a job title previously held by another Brit done good, John Byrne, a few years ago.

2019 looks to be an exciting year for AMD, and we will be keeping a close eye on how the senior leadership team progresses.

Hello ;)

[​IMG]

Undying and Maddness like this.
  19. Maddness

Maddness Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW
    Hopefully it's onwards and upwards from here on in for the GPU side of things. After seeing just how well they are succeeding with RyZen, i cannot wait for them to put that energy into there GPU's.

Undying likes this.
  20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ajoe5t/amd_posts_138_linux_driver_patches_bringing_up/

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-New-SW-SMU-Driver-Future

More insight into AMD via the Linux driver commits and patches.

I can't say I fully understand this or understand much of these things very well at all but the comments around it give some interesting insight.

Sounds good.

EDIT: A VLIW2 design following GCN from another comment in that topic sounds interesting too and a potential performance uplift, actual results from that will have to wait until there's something out after "Navi" and what the "Next-gen" card from the original roadmap will turn out to be though it sounds good but that's on paper and not much more so final results could be anything really. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019