New Unreal Tournament UE4 Announcement Coming

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 3, 2014.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Not very imaginative but it's a start.

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
  4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    It's worth noting that the concept art shown there is all community submitted and not official stuff from Epic themselves.

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
  6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Then it would look more like the first Unreal Tournament. ;)

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    If you weren't an Arena Fragger then you probably didn't miss much. For anyone who was serious into FPS games though, at the time this was the gold standard and a must play.

That said, I always like Tournament over Unreal and Unreal 2 as singler person campaigns. The community extensions to the game really made it beyond amazing as well.

9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I used to play Half Life 1 and 2 Deathmatch back when they were more populated and some TFC

How different is UT to Unreal MP?

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Unreal was an amazing game (especially on 3dfx!), but it was a single player game with a bit of multi-player. Unreal Tournament was strictly devoted to MP, and had a little single player thrown in for good measure. As a result, the MP in Tournament was far more fine tuned and specifically developed with multi-player in mind, as where it was an after thought in Unreal.

Imo, anyone who liked the MP in Unreal would love Unreal Tournament even more. For me, it was the first arena shooter that got multi-player right!

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Agreed.

I can't think of a single thing about UT99 that I didn't like.. The maps, music, announcer, character control, weapons, modability, and overall feel was so friggen good. 2K4 was also great, even though it deviated a bit..

But yeah, I've never had so much fun playing an online multiplayer shooter as with UT99.. plus there was a large community around it for YEARS.. played in several clans, had tournaments.. it was a riot.

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Oh yeah, I have some fond memories of UT99 myself! Staying up all hours of the night playing on the multitudes of servers online. There were so many great community maps too; it kept things interesting. I had an equal amount of fun with UT2004 (UT2003 was also good), and felt they retained the feel of the original Unreal Tournament quite nicely. The true test of a multi-player shooter is the test of time. I can still fire up UT2004, and even the original UT and find people playing even today :)

Where I fell off board and became displeased with the direction of the series was with UT3. I felt that was too far of a departure from other UT games and it just didn't feel right to me. It was disappointing as I was really looking forward to that one. I hope this new entry coming up will right the ship again!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I'm right with you Dsparil.

I was bitterly disappointed with UT3.. waited SO LONG for a successor to 2k4 and we get THAT pile of a$$? I'm still bitter actually.

But regardless, I hope that this iteration gets back to what made UT so amazing and that they can modernize it and give us a new Arena shooter for this decade :)

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    UT

One of the best MP games ever made. Well ahead of it's time.
    Carmack and Quake Co. were like WTF, who are these guys

the happy days of 25-32fps on GeForce 256

None of it's sequels reached perfection of the original, but they kept going for several iterations , solely on its momentum, with everyone thinking:
    they will get it right the next time. Thats how huge original UT was.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm so horribly on my own, but I loved Unreal 2.

It plays like an overly campy, "so bad it's good" made for TV sci-fi movie. And I love it.
    I've always wanted them to do another Unreal game, but the only thing they've ever been even the tiniest bit interested in fiddling with is UT.

Oh well.

16. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol, I felt the same - total let down on that one. I have a feeling with this one being crowdsourced, we are going to see a resurgence of what real UT fans want in the game. At least I am hoping that is what will happen ;)

If this next UT is good stuff, I could always use another MP buddy to get some game on with. We should definitely kit and maybe get some DM, CTF or Onslaught going!

17. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Say the word and I will be there.

My body.. is ready.

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ for the lack of sleep you mean? lol

I really long for that kind of UT game again. The kind that makes me stay up till all hours on multi-player servers because the games so addictive. I haven't had that since UT2004. I had a bit of that with Quake 4 online also, but lets keep this thread UT related ;)

19. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
  20. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT