New unofficial 76.41

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Supremeboy, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    IMHO the use of DC is overrated esp. if a driver comes w/ the setup program. It was a problem back in the 4x.xx days but nV/M$ got a fix on it. OTOH it can't hurt :)

2. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Of course even after this discussion I will most likly continue using the utility when I install new drivers, it is just a habit now. I have been curious since I first saw it, what is your avitar from? If is a movie clip or something, whatever it is I think it is pretty damn cool! I am gonna try to find a new one today. If you don't mind divulging the info, where did you get your custom avitar? I won't copy it but I do want to get some good ideas. Well take it easy man, hope to hear back from you soon.

3. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Office Space :) Friend of mine made it. Basically you take a bunch of screen shots and assemble them into an animated GIF.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  4. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Ah, good idea. Thanks again Grendel_66!

5. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yeah, the nvidia uninstaller prety much does the job these days

6. DeathEvil

DeathEvil Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 470 GTX@800/1600/1700
    if it doec then why driver cleaner is always deleting some files (after using nvidia uninstaller)???

Either way, I will always use DC just to make sure;)

7. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    bahh you crazy.
    DC is to fix problems.
    If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Infact you shouldn't even uninstall your old drive anymore, it will just cause you grief... You gota restart like 6 times to do it that way, which is retarded.

It's bad enough you gota restart twice. Tho that is only if your downgrading, stupid new "feature" of nvidia installer. One restart is enough for a new driver.

Dumb either way. Driver version conflicts are a thing of the past, and rebooting is a win9X thing. XP, with well coded drivers and software never has to reboot. Infact it can unload/delete and then load a new driver fine and not reboot. Tho you'll get no control panel and no opengl, but d3d will work.
    Rebooting is mostly only to run startup scripts that ensure your system has no spyware/crap loaded while it runs its optimization routines. nvidia don't want you to see how the drive performs without them.

I've ran the last 20+ driver versions with no dc.. Even swtiched from ati/nvidia without problems.

The files you see that are "left behind" are simply files required to reconize what your card is.. It allows for an auto install via windowsupdate.. easy for the average user.
    They aren't loaded so theres no reason why they wont get replaced by a new driver.

8. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I don't agree, Driver Cleaner should always be used whether or not there are any problems present and I also think it is important to do the reboots during the process. Like Deathevil said, even after "Add Remove Programs", or Nvidia uninstaller there are alwasy files left behind, there is just no reason to leave them there. I should say that I am not an expert on this but it seems to be widely recognized to use a utility like Driver Cleaner whenever installing new drivers. Maybe it is overkill but the process only takes about 5 minutes and I think it is time well spent. We have probably all read post right here about members having some graphic card glitches that cannot be explained, usually it is an issue to do with the driver. Sometimes it is just not installed correctly or the old driver was not removed at all through "Add Remove Programs", but sometimes it is also because of the left over driver info that stayed behind even after using the "Add Remove Programs" causing the problems. I guess it would be nice to hear the opinion of a Real Expert on the subject to let us know the real Pro's and Con's. Anyway good discussion!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  9. Morskie

Morskie Member

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT PCIe 128MB
    read the whole thread and i'm FATIGUED! lol

MSI 6600GT currently running MSI 71.22 drivers and i get video freeze in 3D games (Joint Operations: Escalation, Warcraft3 TFT-DotA map mod). Any other 6600 users have vid freeze issues solved using either 76.41 or 76.44 drivers?

i've been reading driver threads for days and so far, this is the only one that has several 6600GT success stories...

btw: no crash in 3DMark03 (score 8100)

This is newly built system too... all chipset and mobo BIOS are current.

10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    DISABLE FAST WRITES

(if on)

and try 71.84 WHQL, or 76.10 or anything new ;)

11. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Good fix snip3r_3!

12. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

actually i've never found any traces of nvidia drivers or registry settings after using detonator destroyer and the nvidia uninstall utility