New Ubisoft DRM requires internet ALL the time

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Well... Game developers are paid for making games and they don't add protection by default. DRM and other stuff is up to publishers.

I often download games before buying - may it be demo or torrent. I download stuff when there's a chance I'll buy it:
    - torrent of GRID -> bought, even when I was able to play online
    - torrent of Borderlands -> bought 2 copies + DLC, even when I was able to play online
    - preordered NFS: Shift, I'm satisfied
    - preordered Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (2 copies), I love beta/demo
    - downloaded Dirt 2 demo, piece of junk, deleting
    - downloaded Aliens vs Predator demo, not worth the money, deleting

And I'm not going to download Assassin's Creed 2 as it would be only a waste of time. I have stable Internet connection, but what they're doing is just wrong and I will not buy this game.

I can understand that they want to get rid of resellers, but it's just crazy. They could offer better prices for Steam versions and it would work well, or release free DLC after that, or just make game so good that people don't want to sell it. There are so many options. But nooo, it's just better to release a game with abysmal I-don't-know-what-protection.

2. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Pretty soon, PC games will be limited to MMO's and multiplayer FPS games. Such as Half life 2. You can only play HL2 so many times, but you can spend hundreds of hours in HL2:death match.

I like SP games, that have a MP aspect that requires a legit copy to play online.
    SP people will play through the story, and that's that. But all the legit players, can then continue the experience and play head to head or co-op online.

Multi-player is one of the leading aspects that get would-be pirates, to fork out the cash. Single player games that don't have any type of multi-player, or any type of cd-key limited multiplayer, get pirated the most.
    IE, Source games on steam, are the way to go, who the hell wants L4D/L4D2 when theres no one to play with, or only on insecure servers with cheaters and hackers.

3. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    It will take hackers a week extra to find out how to keep your savegames on your local computer.

4. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
    I know I wont buy any game that uses DRM like this (or pirate it) I'm sure alot of people feel as I do, so whats worse lost revenue from pirating or from poor sales?
    the funny thing is the people that pirate on a regular basis will NEVER buy the game so why bother, it's not like it's going to sell more.

5. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I wouldn't be surprised that the game sells well. Somehow people always complain about DRM (and I think they are right) and yet it rarely hurts sales. I wonder if this time it will be any different.

BTW: I won't be buying it. Not my kind of game. Couldn't get into AC1 either.

6. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Well, it's a common case, however it sometimes happens that people don't buy the game, for example MW2. It hadn't got inferior DRM, but PC sales were close to none compared to console, while in case of MW1 they were more balanced. DRM was also said to hurt Borderlands and Dragon Age Origins DLC sales.

I can accept some kinds of DRM. Steam is pretty good, but you can't sell a pricey game even if it took you 1 evening to complete it. SecuROM? I don't like it, but many implementations aren't that bad - it won't prevent me from buying Battlefield Bad Company 2, because devs said users will be able to choose between online and DVD activation (I prefer online for online games).

7. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I don't know man, those hackers can work pretty freakin fast.
    They can leak games a week in advance.
    Also it's very hard for a developer/publisher to justify keeping saved games stored on their end, over the clients end.

My biggest problem, What's going to happen 10-15 years from now? Is Ubisoft still going to have their servers running for this particular game, and if so, are the servers going to be well maintained? What about 30 years from now?
    Nostalgia is one powerful force, even i go through my game folders and play my classic games, my aquanox 2, and morrowind.
    I even have Journeyman Projects: Turbo, a game from my childhood.(doesn't look as good now as i remembered.

8. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've always felt moving to BluRay games would be a better form of DRM than anything else, and i would personally welcome higher quality textures and HD audio and cutscenes.

Not many people will be able to download 50gb for every game though, and i'm sure that it could hit Steam or other DD sales.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    That's retarded, the only thing it would do is increase the amount of piracy. The less lending and reselling, the more piracy. That and the base amount of sales will go down as well, most of us don't like to be ****ed with.
    The entire space on a BD is unlikely to be taken, crap information can be cut and the files can be compressed. Heavy 7z compression tends to be the best but most computers don't have enough RAM to pull that off. With files larger than about 200MB it's sometimes impossible for me to compress them with all the maximum settings because the memory runs out.

The major limiting factor is internet companies taking a diarrhea dump on the internet, if you don't understand what I mean then consider yourself lucky.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    They obviously don't think they can stop piracy, and to most publishers, reselling and lending is just legalised piracy anyway, as they don't profit from it.

Some even want to make reselling illegal.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    One day these idiots will learn that they're just shooting themselves in the foot. The more they enrage the public the more trouble they will have in the long run.

13. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    That would actually be extremely sad......from all the platforms, I adore the PC the most. It's more expensive to have in the long run but SOOO worth it!

The silly counter-measures aren't just gonna be for PC users....no, no, no....it's gonna appear on the consoles as well. Even though PC is considered the main culprit of piracy (due to the simplicity of installing, compared to consoles) it's not that consoles are perfect either.

Wii has been hacked out of its rear-end, Xbox 360 has also been hacked and, just recently, the PS3 has been hacked. Every month that passes is one step closer for each of these consoles being just as easily piratable as PC.

Fine, you need to install a mod chip....maybe. Alot of hacks are being developed software base as it is.....

So despite the semantics and slight differences, the same issue stands for anyone who games, on their prefered platform.

r2rX :)

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The ease the piracy on the PC has nothing to do with it though, its the sales figures.

PC piracy is considered a far bigger problem because the overall sales of the game are so much lower than the 360 and PS3 versions, about 10 times lower on average.

The console version of MW2 was pirated days before it was released, but tens of thousands still queued at midnight to buy it, and it went on to sell millions in the first few days, i even heard it took more money in the first 5days than The Dark Knight and the Harry Potter movie.
    The PC version sold 10times less, and you can't even blame the dedicated servers thing, as MW2 had better sales than the first MW.

The other end of the spectrum is The Sims3, the game was leaked over 2 weeks before it was released, but that still went onto sell around 6million copies.

Also many potential console pirates get put off by the threat of getting banned from Live, something not really achievable with a PC.

Either piracy is too high on the PC, maybe gaming is now a minority PC task, or FPS and third person games aren't wanted on the PC anymore, but if anyone thinking boycotting this game will help is clueless, as they are actually contributing to the problem.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  15. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I still buy games with DRM...I just wait until there is a crack now, same with this constant internet requirement, I have every intention of buying HOMM6 when it comes out, so I will wait until someone has a crack for it so you don't ever have to go online, then I will buy it, my internet SUCKS!, and I cannot rely on any online platform, even steam.

Piracy is not to blame for PC game sales, good games sell, the console has a different audience and like redemption said, they play mostly FPS games.

Bioshock sold around 2.2 million copies ( from all 3 platforms ) and over 1 million were on PC ( possibly not including DD sales ) diablo 3 and starcraft 2 will both sell 12 million copies each, even with piracy. Piracy is a cop out.

Too many developers are trying to capitalise on the success of WOW and even no MMO games are slowly trying to push towards subscription based gaming.

If on-live ever becomes the norm and the harware push goes out of the hands of gamers and into the hands of a company who will have a monopoly on the games market, i'll quit gaming for good, DRM and online gaming is what is killing gaming.

Too many weak generic shooting with OMFG dedicated servers!!!!!.

Then generic POS game #10001 doesn't have dedicated servers and people sulk....yet MW2 on PC outsold the lifetime sales of COD4 on day 1...

People get kicked in the teeth then ask for another, boycotting definitely does work, and even if the majority of sheep buy into the marketing hype, you get the privilege of not giving your money to people who don't care what you want

17. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    On-live will not work properly. It's not possible in next few years. Period.

going back to topic... I'd like to see something that looks like Steam rather than no-disconnects-or-die. If Heroes of Might & Magic 6 get released and they'll require constant internet access, it won't be cool. However it would be cool to have auto save sync, so you can play at your place or with friends on their computers (hot seat coop ftw). They've actually done it with some games on steam, eg. Torchlight - you can play offline, but if you go online, you sync saves & settings. Great.

If they *really* need constant online check (and they don't), they could set it to reactivate ... every 2 weeks or month or whatever. They should allow offline play because of disconnects, and limited connectivity issues with laptops.

18. WiCz

WiCz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X OC WF
    Ahhh greed ftw!!

They will never see a penny from me if they insist on this ridiculous approach, fools!

19. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Ok, Ill be the devils advocate again, just to make people change a record.
    Ignoring for a minute playing on a laptop without wifi or cellular coverage or a choice of not connecting.
    1) When was the last time any of you guys just decided to disconnect your pc?
    2) Assume you are a game company wanting to make an AAA title. You need to pay primo dollar for primo engineers, primo designers, primo everything. THEN you read that with current piracy numbers you might not make it over the red line. What will you do?
    Pay less? U'll have less than an AAA title.

I mean, seriously, what are the pc game manufacturers options?
    I know 99% of all guru3d members buy their games cause its our hobby, but are you gonna go and make the other 1000000 pirates go buy the game? Are you gonna make the game profitable?

Share your thoughts guys.

20. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I bought a lot more games when I could lend them to people. Now with all the locking to accounts and stuff I don't buy many games anymore due to this.