New too SSD...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mythstery, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Mythstery

Mythstery Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 classified
    Well my new SSD is sitting in my mailbox at home and i had a few quick questions.

I plan on reloading win 7 on the drive and using it as my primary. I know that writing to the SSD will decrease its life from what i have read. In my mind the only thing i can really think of that would be writing to it is temp files. Is there a way to locat the temp file onto a different harddrive so that windows will write to a different drive instead of the SSD?

Also can some one explain the advantages of trim and what is it really?

Also im guessing that i will want only the OS on the disk which is going to take up 14-16gig and then whatever program or game i use the most. IE photoshop or COD

The SSD is a kingston 32gig if you needed to know.

2. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

Basically its a command used to align data to blocks properly and eliminates some gargage collection overhead, basically it prevents the performance of the drive dropping over its lifespan.

And you can change the tmp drives under the windows enviromental values settings TMP and TEMP

Also yeah, stick to windows and maybe photoshop (might even be too big for a 32gb not sure), or a bunch of smaller programs.

I'd leave 4-5gb free to handle files, unpack temps and whatnot.

Once you get the chance i'd def. go for a 32gb more to raid0.. atleast for my purposes 32gb is far too little :) got 25gb free of my 80gb one.

3. Mythstery

Mythstery Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 classified
    i picked it up for $50 on ebay and expected to get outbid lol.. so now i have it

and i was wrong its a patriot 32gig warp

4. Mythstery

Mythstery Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 classified
    model number is a PE32gs25ssdr and its no longer made grrrrr i cant even find out if the damn thing supports trim or not. or if there is a firmware update.

its the only drive on patriots site that no longer has any firmware updates.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

5. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
  6. TriGGlety

TriGGlety Banned

GPU:
    HD6870 1G -(1680x1050)
  7. TriGGlety

TriGGlety Banned

GPU:
    HD6870 1G -(1680x1050)
    Got it up and running?
    If so what did ya do with the storage and tweaking of it.

8. Mythstery

Mythstery Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 classified
    have not gotten windows on it yet. its hooked up and ready to go but its not showing up as a physical disk. im sure when i go to load windows back on it everything will be good.