New to the PCI-E market

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kangi26, Feb 8, 2006.

1. kangi26

kangi26 Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 and PCI HD2400
    I am doing an unexpected upgrade to my system, and I am getting a great deal on a socket 939 board and a XP3500+ Venice core proc. I will be needing a new video card and the new board has PCI-E. I am looking in the $200 or lower. I overclock so I'd like something that has some room to run. Any suggestions? I even already have a Zalman VF700-CU.

2. EnzoF1

EnzoF1 Master Guru

GPU:
    X1800XT 512mb (Aquaxtreme MP-1)
    X850 series are a great buy. Or..If you want nVidia 6800gt.

3. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    x800 GTO2 you can unock you to 16 pipes from my understanding. You can get one for around $170US. Throw a aftermarket cooler on that bad boy and bam you have yourself a nice high performing card that cost under 200$

4. kangi26

kangi26 Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 and PCI HD2400
    I've read posts about unlocking the extra pipelines, but those are all on AGP versions, I've seen nothing to date on unlocking PCI-E. I did find a Sapphire X800GTO2 VIVO OEM card at NewEgg for $189US

5. YurAnus

YurAnus Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobile Radeon HD 5730
    I had a thread a while back asking what was the best deal on a pcie card without spending alot. Someone told me to get a x800 gto2 pcie because you can unlock to 16 pipes. You might want to create a thread asking people. If you can that is a great deal. I have also heard they OC good.

6. SmoKieMcPott

SmoKieMcPott Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 1gb
  7. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The X800GTo2 has a 100% unlock rate and as far as I am aware they are all PCI-E. however make sure you get one with a RED PCB. The red ones seem to come with the R480 core that is highly overclockabled (core and memory from a X850XTPE) whereas the ones with a Blue PCB appear to be running a R430 core from the x800XL which doesn't overclock very well yet you can still unlocking the pipes on it.

8. kangi26

kangi26 Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 and PCI HD2400
    Ok, so from what I've read so far, there seem to be 2 different types of cards going around there. One with a red PCB and one with a blue PCB. I hear I do NOT want the blue one. Does anyone have experience with what is coming out of NewEgg? I'd hate to order and have the blue pcb come in. Thanks for the input. P.S. What is HDR?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  9. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
  10. If it the highest performance you seek for under $200 the the only choice you have (an excellent one by the way) is the X800GTO2 by saphire. They have a 100% success rate of modding into X850XT PE's when done correctly. Than means 16 pipes, 540mhz core and 1180mhz memory. That is one hell of an OC from the cards standard 400/980 clocks! And when flashed to these speeds and proper cooling (time to put that zalman of yours to good use) they are perfectly stable. In fact much higher clocks are not uncommon, we're talking in the 590/1250mhz+ range.

11. kangi26

kangi26 Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 and PCI HD2400
    At this point the only thing holding me back from getting one of these from NewEgg, (OEM $189US)is, I am concerned about getting one of the blue PCB's from them. From what I have read, the blue PCB is a rebranded Fireblade. At this point NewEgg will not verify that the PCB is in fact red.

12. 5had0w

5had0w Active Member

GPU:
    HIS X800GTO IceQ II iTurbo (R480)
  13. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Just done some reading up on another forum and the latest GTO2's seem to be Revision 3 models and come pre unlocked. They are basically rebranded X800XL's.

This is by no means a bad card but they don't overclock hugely well.

If you are lucky enough to get a GTO2 based on the Red pcnb then well they are stormers. Mine overclocked to 660/1270 on stock cooling and stock volts.

However from the sounds of it you would be more likely to get a Blue PCB model due to the revision change.

If you can try looking for a X850XT or if you don't mind a nvidia card then the 6800GS is for your. They don't unlock but they are highly overclockable.