New to boards Hello All : )

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by H2PrinCe, Dec 22, 2008.

1. H2PrinCe

H2PrinCe Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech Nvidia GTX 285
    Hey guys. My name is Josh. Live in good ol Wisconsin Us. 23 year old college student almost done with my major in English:) Have been visiting the site alot lately since I was looking to build a new pc as my old setup is starting to lack a bit lol. Anywho nice to meet you all. I actually came home one day and smelled buring wires which I traced to my PSU in my raidmax smilidon case. Guess both of the fans failed and was absurdly hot to the point of almost lightng my place on fire : / So I went to newegg to look for a new PSU and stumbled upon the BFG tech es-800 and the first review linked me to this site which was a great find : ) Anywho I proceeded to buy the psu and 4gigs of ocz reaper ram. Then the build a new pc bug hit me :nerd: I am currently running an older DFI board with AMD processor. I have a GTX 9800 currently and are just looking for a great new MOBO and processor. Been looking at the Intel Q6600 and the evga 750i FTW mobo. Any thoughts and ideas. I have about 400-500 to drop on a new mobo and cpu and have grown tired of reading thousands of reviews. I play alot of mmos so just quality gaming is what my build will be focussed on. Am currently waiting on the release of Aion Online but am currently playing Last Chaos (an awful "free" mmo) but have been on top of teh boards for 2 years and Aion is not out :3eyes: Anywho I am hoping to start reading alot more threads here and learning a little bit more about pcs :)

2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Q6600 is a good choice, provided you OC it a bit. In Multithreaded programs there's generally a main thread that requires a little more horsepower than the others, if it can't progress then the others wait for it to catch up. Hence why I say it's a good choice if you want to overclock. If you're not overclocking roll with a Q9550 or a E8500 if quad is out of your price range.

3. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    If MMO's is all you play I recommend buying an E8400, E7200 will be fine too. You won't need any graphics computational power as nearly all MMO's are heavily CPU dependant, which can be provided by overclocking a cheap CPU.

And welcome to the forum mate.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Welcome...and unless you just want the quad for bragging....go with Liranan's recommendation and get either an E8400 or E7200. Personally, I'd recommend the E8400 for the faster FSB.

5. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    Welcome too the board, and isn't winter in Wisconsin great for upgrading pc's? lol

6. H2PrinCe

H2PrinCe Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech Nvidia GTX 285

Ty for the welcome all, and I think Ill go with the quad just cause its only 25 bucks more lol. But im still stumped on a good mobo : / And ohh yes there is nothing to do during a wisconsin winter but finish ur car/bike/pc projects lol

7. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
  8. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    Not if you want to play WAR. WAR is fully optimized for multicore machines.

9. H2PrinCe

H2PrinCe Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech Nvidia GTX 285
    I appreciate all the input guys : ) I ended up ordering the Intel Q6600 quad core and in the future do plan to sli so im going to make a decision tonight as what board to go with.

10. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    I would go for the QUAD anyways because games are now starting to take advantage of mult cores and just wait until developers take advantage of directx 11 games if youre not the type to upgrade every year.