New to ATi Cards. What all do I need to download?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mr. nails, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mr. nails

mr. nails Member

GPU:
    AMD 6850
    Last ATi card I had was the 9800 pro. Beast card! Tired of all the TDR's I get with nVidia so bought me a new 6850 (CPU is bottleneck, I'll grab a better card when I actually build a new rig) ATi card and hopefully I'll get it by Friday.

What do I really need to download? All I really want is the Driver. Do I need anything else? Is that CCC bloatware that I even need? Does it come with Overdrive or do/should I download it separately? Thx!

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Download and install the Catalyst Suite which includes the driver and CCC. I believe the latter now includes per-game profiles allowing you to tweak settings for individual games that are applied when launched (like NVIDIA's own profiles have been doing for years).

Also I'd recommend japamd's excellent RadeonPro as I found it to be a sanity-saver when I had my previous HD 5870 CrossFireX setup. Although the CCC's per-game profiles appear to have replaced some of RadeonPro's functionality, it is still handy for forcing anti-aliasing and triple buffering for DirectX games.

3. d3fu5i0n

d3fu5i0n Member

GPU:
    6950 2GB [NR] @ 840/1325
    I agree.

For the OP: As Darren Hodgson said, RadeonPro and the CCC are extremely useful, and most people use the Catalyst Control Centre.
    However, if you're not that interested in tweaking settings and just want the card to run 'raw', you can install the driver as a standalone - and even download the driver itself, as a standalone package.

A tip: A quick link to always use, that re-directs you to the download page for AMD graphics cards (if you're typing it in somewhere, and don't have the link or a bookmark) is: ati.amd.com/drivers
    Hehe :p

Conclusion: But yeah, I'd recommend to try out both the CCC and RadeonPro first, and then decide if you want either of them before planning to use the driver as a standalone itself.

4. mr. nails

mr. nails Member

GPU:
    AMD 6850
    Thanks for the replies.

Got my new card today and have installed it with the CCC only so far. Haven't really had the chance to play around with the software. Coming from a DX10 card tessellation is new to me so that's a bonus, but do AMD cards run with any sort of physx driver like nVidia does or at least something equivalent?

I did notice that the CCC came with Overdrive within the software. Is this the exact same Overdrive you could otherwise download to OC the card? I have no idea for I did download the CCC and the Overdrive software then just installed the CCC first, but noticed Overdrive already there.

Lastly, I installed the 11.12's and noticed that there are 12.1 preview drivers available, but those are only the drivers. Is it safe to install the 11.12 CCC's and then install the preview drivers on top of those? Is that the correct way? Thanks for your time!

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    AMD cards don't have PhysX, thats Nvidia only, but you can use a Nvidia card alongside to run the PhysX, you just need to download modded drivers to get it to work.

The 12.1 preview drivers, also come with the CCC, so you can just uninstall the 11.12's, and install them on their own.

All i do to change drivers is, go into the Programs and Features, double-click the ATi Install Manager, select the bottom option (to uninstall all), then after the reboot, i just install the new ones :)

EDIT: The Overdrive will be the same one, its just been integrated into the CCC now, so you don't have to download it seperately.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. mr. nails

mr. nails Member

GPU:
    AMD 6850
    I'm still at work and don't remember everything that installed, but I do remember seeing an install for some HDMI sound stuff. I have my own dedicated sound card. Do I still need to install those?

There were a couple of other things in there I no idea what they were for, but installed them anyway. Kinda like the way nVidia has their drivers. I never installed the 3D software (don't care) and never installed the nVidia updater either. Pointless bloat.

If someone knows everything that installs on the CCC's if you wouldn't mind listing them and what their purpose is that would be great!

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    off the top of my head there is the HDMI audio driver which you only need if you are going to use that for audio (I don't, but the card can bitstream hi-def audio and/or 7.1 LPCM over HDMI if you want).

AVIVO is a set of codecs that allow hardware acceleration of various video types. Sometimes you have to download this as a separate optiona install, I usually get this.

I believe there is one piece called APP or something that is the OpenCL driver for compute stuff. Sometimes there is a registration program that I never install.

Oh and Hydravision is something for controlling multiple monitors, I've never really used it even though I have two monitors, but I forget why I didn't like it now. Anyone use hydravision?

For preview drivers (like 12.1) they usually include everything all together so you don't need to get the optional downloads, just deselect the things you don't want.

8. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    lol funny title,

New to ATi Cards. What all do I need to download?

answer: A prayer :spam:

9. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    what you need to download
    Lastest Catalyst+CAP
    Ati Tray Tool
    Radeon Pro

what you need to buy
    Aspirin
    Prozac