new to ati cards do i need Physics?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by far-cough, Feb 21, 2012.

1. far-cough

far-cough Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R7990 6GB
    ok so i got 2 6970 running xfire all sweet
    but my question is physics do i need it?
    can i run a third card like a old 8800 gts for physics ? in the 3 rd slot i know it will be running at 1x speed will it help or just be a pain in the a**
    do i need to ?
    or is it just a nvidia thing ??

ty for your help in advance..

2. xXx_Fess_xXx

xXx_Fess_xXx Member

GPU:
    Hd5850
    no you dont it. PhysicX support just a few games

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    the 8800 gts can barely keep up with the physx aswell.
    example. with my 4870x2 and a 8800gtx i got

batman asylum- normal 60fps solid
    high 40fps.

now this is a old game, so id expect the newer games to be more demanding.
    I suggest you try some games for yourself,since physx effects can be nice at times.
    if the drops are too much i woudnt bother, but its worth a try.

4. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Running PhysX comes down to you tbh. Personally I think it makes games like Alice and Batman look fantastic but at the moment there aren't many games using GPU physx, most of the physx games are on CPU. Needs come down to you ;)

If you're interested in getting hybrid PhysX running then check this link:
    http://www.ngo hq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html

Edit: Remove the space in the link.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

5. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Well, there are games with PhysX that you can play. Games like Need For Speed series. It has software implemented PhysX which your CPU can handle quite well.
    However, and I think that is what you want to know, hardware implemented PhysX (GPU-Accelerated PhysX) is rendered by nVIDIA GPUs only.
    As far as 8800GTS is concerned, if I recall, it has 92 Shader Processor (SP), like the GT240. This is not an huge number but, you can play the games very well. I've tested one XFX 8800GTS and it did nicely. Not 60FPS but, none the less, you get playable framerates.
    I have an GTS250 (it's very much the 9800GTX+) with 128 SP and the only PhysX effedcts it can't handle @ 60FPS are the fog effects in Batman AC.
    I don't think PhysX is worthy of buying a new card just for it. In 98% of games, the card will just be sitting in the system doing nothing. However, if you can't live without high FPS and money isn't a concern to you, get an used GTX285 or a GTX460.

6. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    If you play games with PhysX ( batman etc ), yes you can use it, but you will need pass by a "modded driver "... as Nvidia block on driver level the use of a Nvidia card for physX if an AMD cards is detected in the system ( including the gpu on AMD APU / CPU ).

Follow the link given upper and im sure you can find some infos here on Guru3D, PhysX threads... Do your test and see if it worth it for you.

many peoples i know have finally let down, a bit too much to do for just some games( or only one games ), so all depend if the games you play a lot have Physx and if you want it for thoses games. ( let say, this add a gpu in the system, who is used only in rare case... so its to peoples to know if its worth it, old gpu's dont have the same power save in idle we have with last generations, and this could mean, noise, heat, a bit more of watts etc.. )

7. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    Its just a gimmick, Nvidias tech trying to pull mistakenly newbies towards there tech when everything i have seen so far can be done via the CPU and much faster than there bull****.

Ignore it like the plague.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Don't confuse physics with Physx. Physics can run on any card (well, within reason), there are many different systems. Most of these run on the CPU, although it is possible for them to use OpenCL or Directcompute or a combination of that and CPU.

Phsyx on the other hand is a brand name, and is designed explicitly to run on Nvidia hardware. Only a few games use it, and its not whole environment based, only a few key areas. Physx can also run on the CPU, although its extremely unoptimised for this (deliberately). Only the very latest version supports SSE2 (I believe)... but the implementation is far from complete. The disadvantage with Physx is that it uses GPU power, taking performance away from games. A properly designed game on a PC is highly GPU dependent, although you will find most games are crappy console ports and rely heavily on CPU, needlessly leaving spare computational power on higher end GPU's. This is where Physx can be a noticeable advantage. Ideally a game would make proper use of the GPU, in which case a properly programmed physics system running on the CPU can actually be much faster. Nvidia know this, which is why they made the CPU version of Physx so crap.

I wouldn't bother with Physx. Physics on the other hand, is a good thing :)

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    You will need the Physx software installed yes, as some applications and games require it to be there even if you don't run it.

If you choose to use Physx, you can get a low/mid end Nvidia card to run with it. There is a Physx hack out there for ATI users.

10. far-cough

far-cough Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R7990 6GB
    OK TY FOR THE REPLYS I THINK I WILL JUST GIVE IT A MISS
    opps caps sorry was just curious if i needed it at all but no so im good
    ty gurus

11. syncore

syncore Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    I've got a 6990 and a GTS 250 with the proper nvidia drivers/physx-mod. To be honest, I'm not sure if I have ever seen an improvement with the PhysX card installed. I figured it couldn't hurt, since it only cost me $50, but I think I was wrong because I just discovered that BF3 has horrible microstutter issues when the nvidia card is enabled alongside my ATI card. It looks like BF3 is trying to access the nvidia card, even though I have no monitor hooked up to it, in-game as I can see that the nvidia services launch when BF3 does. Removing the nvidia drivers and physx software has completely resolved my stuttering issues and the game is now very smooth and playable in Eyefinity (5760x1080).

tldr: Thought having ATI+nvidia for PhysX would not hurt; generally have not seen many improvements; in my case having ATI+nvidia in the same machine made BF3 have horrible microstutter that was resolved when uninstalling nvidia card.