1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TCL 4K television with dead pixel...

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by DSparil, Feb 3, 2018.

1. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    So, I just picked up a new TCL 4K tv and thought all was well until I got closer to the screen and detected a stuck pixel on the bottom left. It is a lone pixel, and once I back away from the television, I can't see it. To be honest, I have to be <1 foot in front of the TV to barely make it out. Is this cause for concern? Could it spread? This is already my second television, because I wasn't happy with the other one (different brand) I purchased and had to return it. I'd hate to have to pack this one up and return it too! If it won't spread or get worse, I don't see it causing any harm due to the fact I can't even see it unless I'm right on top of it...

Any thoughts or opinions on this one?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Hard to say, quality across build, picture, parts etc can be questionable with some of these value orientated Chinese brands.

3. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^ True. I feel like I could return this and end up getting something worse. I mean, I can't even see the pixel when something is moving on the screen. It has to be a flat color w/no movement, and then I have to be like .5 feet directly in front of it. Just for s&g's, I found this on the TCL website. It looks like they wouldn't cover anything until I was over 16 jacked pixles for a 4K :eek::eek::eek:

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    How much cheaper was it than other brands? What's the picture quality including blacks, motion, colour, and actual clarity like?

5. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It was more affordable, but was on a good sale. To put it comparatively, I could have gotten a Samsung or Sony 1080P for roughly the same price. But I figured I'd spring for the 4K Roku TV. Supposedly TCL is among the "better" of the budget brands, and is rated higher than brands like Element, Insignia and Westinghouse. The picture quality is actually quite good and has much better color and motion than an Insignia I was comparing it to at Best Buy.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    ah ok. Dead pixels are difficult, I guess whether it spreads depends on the cause.

7. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, I've decided its not a big deal unless it gets worse or causes any other issues. I can't see it while watching anything, and can barely see it even when I'm right up on the TV. I might get in touch with Best Buy to see what their coverage/return policy is though, because I'd hate for more visual defects to develop 6 months down the line and to find out I'm not covered. As long as it stays as it is right now, I'm fine with it and am otherwise very happy with the TV.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no dead pixel warranty no buy, anything I ever bought that had dead pixels got brought back as far as hdtv/uhdtv monitors go. if get new with them chances are in time it will get more

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Have you tried this? I don't know much about monitors or panels but this helped me fix an older monitor recently.

http://www.jscreenfix.com/

10. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just spoke with an expert on the topic today and he was in agreement with you. He said over time it could cause other pixels to go out or create other visual artifacts. I guess I have to return it :( What a pain in the arse!

Actually I have tried that one as well as some other HD "stuck pixel" fix videos. I tried like 3 or 4 of them. They actually made the stuck pixel dimmer, but in a day or so it was right back where it was.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Good example of "if it has dead pixel" bring it back

My uncles has tv that dead pixel a quite alot them in middle the screen, fast forward 6 years later there is litterly line and lines of dead pixels in going down the middle of screen screen some line that are like 10+ pixels wide. and we talking 3,4,5 lines like that going down the middle of the screen.

DSparil likes this.
  12. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yipes. I am glad I'm hearing these things now, while I am still within the "return window" for this television. Unfortunately my local Best Buy location doesn't have any more of this particular model, but one is being transferred from another store. I love the TV and hope I get one that is 100% defect free this time. Were actually going to fire it up at the store and I'm going to inspect it before taking it home.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    out of curiosity which model of the TCL? 2017 model or 2018? i ask cause I usual get samsung sets , and as such was gona get the NU7100 but it has bad contrast ratio compared to last years model, the TCL sets have really nice contrast ratios but there black uniformity cant touch the samsung sets, then again the TCL sets seem have have really great motion handeling compared to the samsung sets.

I really want the NU8000 49inch it is bit out price range but peformance blows most other set out water and I think to big for the room I think 40~43 inch just right for the room

14. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mine is a 2017 model. It has its drawbacks, but overall I think its a really good value for what you're getting. Gaming and sports were a big factor for me, so the TV's low input lag and motion benefits were a big plus for me. This might help you get some more of the info you're looking for: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah I use Rting the 2017 dont have the Dithering issue the 2018 do, and motion handeling and contrast ratio on both years looks amazing, the black uniformity is what worries me, i can not stand cloudy spots in blacks. and i see way to much clouding in the TCL TV's at rtings. current HDTV has NO clouding in blacks screens like that, and my monitor only has very slight clouding on righ edge of monitor. but what I see in those pictures are Rtings is not barely noticeable like they say,

NU8000 look amazing, but sadly i doubt i will get that less i hit the lotto or the make 43" that $200 less.

I leaning back to getting the NU7100 43 again I just wish there was way to compare the motion handling on these TV vs ny LN32A550, it claims 5ms in specs, and not even sure what type Panel it has, but i assume it IPS cause 5ms

Last edited: May 27, 2018

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well I bought 2 TCL 55" S515/S517 sets from bestbuy first one (living room) is dead pixel free, 2nd set one that was for me had dead pixel exchanged that and the exchange had dead pixels, Gona do 3rd exchange and if that had dead pixels too I will use the first TCL 55" as my TV/PC gaming big screen, and put the dead pixel one in living room where they will never been seeing cause they will be never view from 2 feet to being with.

At that point it will first and last time I get TCL TV, so far 2 out of the 3 I got had dead pixels, and if 3 out 4 it happens that will be third strike your out. i get there budget tv's I bought countless monitors that are half the price over the years for my self or family that didnt have single dead pixel, I get 4K is alot more pixels then 1080p but dead pixels are a no no plain and simple.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    did more checking the first tv is dead pixel free but does have dim pixel but this pixel is less the inch from edge so not issue compared to dead/stuck pixels. I will be doing exchange again on the dead/stuck pixel set if happen again i just take 1st set and be done with it and not bother with TCL again

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and now i am happy, I exchanged the tv 2nd time again this time i ask them to let my check the tv there before leaving the store for dead pixels they did ( I brought my usb stick with 4k static images of white,black,blue,green, red screens) and no dead pixels were seen at , other 2 sets i saw them with in seconds using those images. so they packed it back up and I brought it back to house and it is now mounted. free of dead pixels.

So for those of you counting, 4 TCL S515/517 55"
    1st = Dim pixel less then inch from left side edge which is barely notice able from 2 feet
    2nd = Dead/Stuck pixel bottom middle 3 inch's above the edge
    3rd = Dead/Stuck pixel 2 inch's from top edge of the screen toward the right side of middle
    4th= No Dead/Stuck pixels.

Can't go wrong for budget TV brand and Rtings raves about them being the best budget tv. and this is true it even beats out the samsung tv in same tier price and performance and size wise. As it stand would buy TCL again? I would say yes in stipulation I see the screen and check for dead pixels before leaving said store special on big tv's 50+ that I can no carry or return on my own with out help. if this tv last 5+ years like all my other tv I will find out.

DSparil and airbud7 like this.