New System.. best bang/$

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jdoggg12, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    Hey guys.. I'm trying to do a best bang/$ system build with a little more emphasis on power than value. (Though not too much)

What I'm thinking about right now
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    Athlon64 3700+ (OC it as much as a n00b OCer can)
    Antec NEO power 480

OK, now here's the thing, my P4C800 just crapped out on me and I'm going to try and sell my P4 2.4c, my 6800gt, and maybe my PSU.

I'm really considering doing the bundle through new-egg of getting the 3700+ and Asus 7800GTX for about $820shipped.
    ( $323 for the CPU, $525-50 for the 7800)

In your opinions is this a decent price/performance deal? Or should I just shop around for a cheaper 7800gt for a little while?

I will be moving over my 36gb raptor, 80gig and 120gig WDs, Audigy 2ZS, and patriot (2x512 sticks of RAM rated PC4000 3-3-3-8)

Thanks guys

2. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC
    cant take anything from newegg. and your new setup sounds nice but you should always shop around,theres a place called www.ewiz.com they have good service and prices kinda like the old newegg.. :) good luck

3. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    they have the 3700+ OEM... what are the downfalls of buying OEM?

4. [Mudd]

[Mudd] Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC

5. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    You gotta buy a your own hsf, a good one can cost some bucks, but will probably give better cooling (it you gte a good one).
    How mcuh cheaper is teh 3500+?

6. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    Well i've heard a lot of rave reviews about how awesome san diego is, and AFAIK 3700+ is the least expensive S.D.

7. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    Also..with the OEM CPUs - you don't get the manufacturing warranty (which is 3 years retail).

If you get a HS/F that is rated for your CPU, then you will normally get better cooling then a stock HS/F. Not always (gotta watch them cheapo brands).

If you're even remotly going for bang/buck then don't get a 7800 =/ Games today really won't require that...nor will the next generation of games (although the extra juice is very nice =)

If you've got a good CPU and enough memory then I'd suggest then 9600XT, maybe an X??? card (if you're buying both a new mobo and GPU then get PCI-E)

8. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    Well... I think the 7800 is the one thing I'm willing to really splurge on... everything else needs to be a little more rationally priced. And dude posted a 3700+ for $280... that seems like a pretty sweet price point for what it is.

9. Jdoggg12

Jdoggg12 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800GT
    OK, just ran accross a few posts in a couple other forums. Anyone have any luck OCing the 3800+ X2 to FX speeds? It seems to me that if you can OC the X2 to similar OC speeds that you can with the 3700+, you'd have a pretty kick-a$$ set-up at a fairly small premium.

10. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    oem = 1 year waranty or 90 days, depends on model. 3700 San Diego is 1 year.
    Retail, comes with HSF(a decent one too, so dont overlook this as a backup for future failures or maybe another product you can use it in. You really can never get enough spare parts.) and a 3 year waranty.
    Which has been said in bits thoughout this post, but I had to put it all together.

Buy the retail, the price diffrence has been so little if any recently in these e-step chips between oem and retail.

and...Yes, Chris Toms 3800X2 passed 2.7GHz on the stock HSF at maintainable temps durring stress tests. I dunno if Im allowed to post the link, so you might google it.
    2.7GHz on STOCK HSF is great, letalone an xp90c or liquid/phase.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005

11. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    Dude, he's got a 6800GT at the moment, why on earth would he want to go all the way down to a 9600XT?