1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system - AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nateluthje, Jan 25, 2018.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I was thinking about upgrading my motherboard and chip, and whether or not to go intel or AMD.

I use my rig for gaming (99% of the time).

I was thinking of getting an I7- 8700K (at $518 AU) or an 7800X at $488 - AU and an Asus strix x299 E-gaming MB for $539 (for the 7800x) or and Asus ROG maximus formula at $699.

I have an 6700K @4.8GHZ at the moment, and am waiting until the new NVIDIA Volta cards are coming out - hopefully the Ti version in 2019.

I don't want to have a bottleneck with my CPU and video cards - and I can get an 5960X for a fairly good price on Ebay+- between $520 and $560.

As I mostly game, most games don't use more than 4 cores at the moment - as I'm told.

I'm after suggestions - should I upgrade now or should I hold off until I see the reviews and what the new video cards can do- and if I buy a 2080Ti, and get a bottleneck, upgrade then.

I can comfortably run most games at 52-55FPS at 4K ultra with my current rig. I was just thinking about the games coming out late 2019-2020. I don't want to have to upgrade if it will mean only a small percentage of FPS increase - although I would like to do away with SLI.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Currently you could only get those small percentage FPS increases. Might change in the future, then again, do you really want to buy another meltdown / spectre bugged CPU? ;)
    As always, wait to see what's even possible with the upcoming hardware. Nobody knows if you can run that holy grail of 4K ultra with SLI 2080Ti like you intend...

3. Arshad Hussain

Arshad Hussain Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    Go for AMD Ryzen processors, they are best in price and good in performance.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You won't get any appreciable gain in the majority of games.

Save your money.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    This.

With a 6700K at 4.8GHz there's no point in replacing your CPU for games. You won't get any notable performance increase, you're pretty much entirely limited by your GPU. I wouldn't be surprised if your CPU is fine to use until 2021.

When the time does come for a new CPU, personally I'd give up some single threaded performance and get a Ryzen assuming AMD keep up the trend of holding an overall good bang for the buck and allowing newer CPUs to work in older motherboards, unlike Intel.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    If OP is gaming at 4k, any CPU upgrade will not improve FPS. Save money for next GPU upgrade.

7. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    You'll be fine with a new video card and will not get a bottleneck. I think the whole "bottleneck" thing is over-exaggerated and doesn't happen as readily as some believe it does.