New Steam Library - Open Beta Coming Sept. 17th

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Rich_Guy, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    akbaar likes this.
  2. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    "A brand new way to look at things"

I wonder where I've seen that UI before!

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    just leave my list view alone and there won't be any problems.

cerebus23 and jbscotchman like this.
  4. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Who said it aint broke?

It's definitely an improvement, but they are stretching things by calling it beautiful.

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Will this allow Steam to go from 75% of PC digital market space to 80% ? *drum roll* :eek::eek:

Embra likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The view is not optional, its everything that was wrong with windows 8.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Sure it is. Opt out of the beta.
    It's not bad as it is, I like the filtering options more than anything

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    beta eventually becomes release
    and if it remains a forced experience, steam dies

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    the default it now the list game view with a nvidia like collection also so you can scroll via list, inanimately more efficient not even close, or you can mill about your game icons trying to ponder what to play.

usually run in list mode and just park it on the game i am currently playing. so yea bit different but could be worse.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I do agree that beta is likely to become release, but Steam dies lol.

Epic must be rubbing their hands together for the day EGS get to own the PC DD market...

MerolaC likes this.
  12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's kind of laughable that people would make comments like "Steam dies" because off a library design.

Yes, because that is definitely Steam's most crucial part.
    Not the buying, downloading, playing of games... nope. How they are displayed for your eyes.

MerolaC likes this.
  13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It's all the same to me. I just click "Download" to install the game and then play it. I never actually looked at anything else in the Steam client.

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    ^^^ Pretty much.
    I remember almost these exact same complaints when Steam changed it's library design to what we currently have.

Any time there's any "visual" change to Steam, people get all pissy for a bit... then forget about it and move on.
    I mean, the friend menu and chat screen changes some time back, good lord you'd thought Steam assaulted people's mothers the way some got upset.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The high CPU usage reported and network activity while it downloads the background data off of every game in the Steam store do need correcting although I mostly use it as a downloader and game updater too and little else though to that point disabling the web browser or using offline mode also breaks the new library view so it doesn't show anything. (Still caches those background and art images though at around 6.7 GB of data total and 54k files before it's done. Could be handled better. :p )

EDIT: Few more updates and these and other concerns can be fixed though well before it hits the release branch and becomes a thing.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    New design looks okay, I guess, especially I preferred and used the Grid View anyway. However, I am less keen on the switch from horizontally wider to vertically taller tiles as it means that about 75% of my list are non-updated smaller tiles that are placed on a blurred out background so it looks a bit messy at the moment.

I hope that we have the option to switch back to the old style Grid view and 415x230 (or whatever they were) pixel tiles along with a Zoom option as you still see the same number of tiles onscreen regardless. I guess value are mimicking the look of other launchers such as Origins and Uplay. I'm fine with that as long as we have more options to switch back to the more horizontal tile layouts (I use a program called Steam Grid to set custom tiles for all my games so that they are cached locally and don't have to be downloaded each time I scroll up and down the list, a bizarre decision by Valve really. I do not see why this is even necessary and just wastes bandwidth and introduces glitches like tiles not displaying or loading properly... which is why I started using Steam Grid in the first place!).

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think its still opening too much pages, i would rather have the page open within the same frame. like if you click communities or store link, it would open the page within the frame of the game you chose, not open a new page.
    it makes perfect sense when there is so much clutter now on the main game page of selected game.

something like this

[​IMG]

store
    [​IMG]

community
    [​IMG]

It looks like they rather want more advertisement instead of funcionality. There is a whats new banner with games at the very top of the games screen.

[​IMG]

oh and BTW is there no way to view the CD key ??? i cant seem to find the option in the new layout.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  18. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    I'm quite digging the new library refresh. Even moreso now you can use custom images for games. The trolling opportunity of friend's, unattended unlocked screens at LAN parties just boosted 9000% :D

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you could always use custom images for games.

20. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    It was never immediately apparent to me though, it is now under the facelift.