new ssd

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by ---TK---, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    the 1 in my sig is coming today.
    I have my c drive cloned via acronis true image home2011. its a 1tb WD Black.
    The drive is almost empty.
    Can I use Acronis on my ssd and be able to use just that and then format my WD 1tb or am I going to have to reinstall windows? first ssd so I want to make sure.

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Might be easier to install fresh and have a clean system.

3. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Samsung Magician will do the cloning and everything.....I did that, was very lazy to reinstall all my apps/games.

4. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Samsung data migration; http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html fit into your needs as it did for my 256 pro?

1. This software only supports the Windows operating systems listed in the User Manual.

2. This software only supports the Samsung SSDs listed in the User Manual. OEM storage devices provided through a computer manufacturer or supplied through other channels are not supported.

3. This software only runs if the operating system is installed on the Source Disk. It does not function on disks that lack an operating system installation.

4. If the amount of data stored on the Source Disk exceeds the capacity of the Target Disk, cloning will not proceed. The Source Disk (e.g. “C:” drive) must consist of at least 20% free space. If more than 80% of the Source Disk is filled with data, the cloning process cannot continue. Secondary partitions require at least 5 GB of free space.

5. When the Source Disk has two or more drives (volumes with allocated drive letters such as C, D, or E), this software supports cloning of up to three drives, including the C drive where the operating system is usually installed. The System Reserved Partition, which is created automatically during Windows installation, is cloned automatically and not included in the 3-drive limit.

6. OEM Recovery Partitions generated at the factory by computer manufacturers cannot be replicated.

7. A difference of a few GB of data capacity between the Source Disk and Target Disk is normal after cloning. The software excludes some unnecessary files that Windows automatically generates to manage virtual memory (page files and hibernation files).

8. This software cannot clone encrypted disks. In order to clone an encrypted disk, you must first remove the encryption from the disk.

9. If the mainboard chipset drivers are not up to date when cloning, this software may not function properly.

10. If there are multiple operating systems installed on the PC (e.g. Windows 7 is installed on the C drive and Windows 8 is installed on the D drive), the cloned disk may not function properly.

11. If the Source Disk is damaged (e.g. the disk has bad sectors), the cloned disk may not function properly.

12. When attempting to clone a disk using this software, it is recommended that you close all other programs and free up sufficient memory before cloning.

13. If you have instant PC recovery software installed on your system, this software may not function properly.

14. If a Source Disk is converted into a dynamic disk, the software may not function properly.

15. The files in the user's Library folder are listed by default on the screen for selecting files to exclude during cloning.

16. To exclude files that are not in the Library folder, you can search for them by scanning folders. Program Files, Windows files, and Recycle Bin files are not scanned.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Good news thanks. Don't feel like reinstalling 7.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its a pain in the ass installing everything again but when i got my ssd i went for the fresh install as it eliminates any problems that may arrise.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Id do a fresh install on an SSD from HDD

8. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Fresh installs aren't something you'll regret later on, it's like cleaning your room

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    TK took the easy way out and it panned out, used acronis and restored my c drive to ssd job complete. fast stuff there, doubt this will be my last ssd

10. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Did you think and/ or checked the alignment right now? I can not find quickly this feature by acronis. Because like you said "doubt this will be my last ssd" happy purchased more ssd's this current one will wear out quicker then necessary. And why was your thinking way to choose for a other tool then rather the available one, which you payed for on the end, provided from samsung suggested in post #4? Which have alignment and other benefits in disk remaining size and more.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    ^^lol. Anybody who isnt a tool got any advice for a first time ssd user. Like the setting in samsung magician that takes 10% of your drive by default. I'm not home at the moment so I don't remember what is called. Can you safely lower that?

12. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Sort of -- it may shorten the life of SSD and make slowdown more obvious when filling up. But how much - that's the question...

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    excellent thanks for the info

15. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Not quite sure what this meant to be mean so i take it benefit of the doubt by your comment.

I was talking about the allignment as you do migrate a full operation hdd to a sdd by a free tool as acronis. And samsungs data migration take all the job for you in alignment.
    Read this part if you will and it will be ever more clear then i can possible write here in my imperfection of proper english.
    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4583/how-to-copy-hdd-to-ssd-with-correct-4k-alignment
    With coments translate in google if you wish bcoz ite dutch; http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/4578/workshop-kopieer-hdd-naar-ssd-met-juiste-4k-alignment

http://www.storagereview.com/the_impact_of_misalignment

16. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It's called over provisioning. And from my understanding you can adjust it between 1% and 50%. I would also recommend that you download AS SSD and check to make sure your alignment is correct. An unaligned partition will cause performance issues. You can find the download link and instructions on how to realign your partiton if needed in the link below.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1226963/how-to-properly-re-align-your-ssd-hdd-partitions

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  17. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Easeus Free cloned my laptop in an hour into SSD - very easy job.