New Speakers and Sound Card.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by hallryu, Sep 7, 2012.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    So I finally got fed up with my onboard sound and old Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700 speakers. The later being a birthday present many moons ago from the Mrs so I've hung on to them for ages and made sure they had a good run :thumbup:

So here is what I plan to get:

Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X
    Speakers: Corsair SP2500

Any thoughts, I'm an audio n00b so be kind.

Cheers.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
  3. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    The Corsair SP2500 looks a lot nicer. Two way satellites and a supposed frequency response of 35Hz – 20kHz +/- 3dB. The GigaWorks T3 looks like it only has one driver per satellite. That's a big no no in my book.

As for the sound card, the Titanium HD is certainly excellent (I have one), but it's only 2 channel vs the Xonar D2X being a 7.1 card. If you plan on buying more speakers (building up a 5.1 or 7.1) system in the future then I'd get the D2X.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    True, that's why i mentioned it as a alternate version. But then again T3 a lot better then lets say Bose 2.1 Companion III.

Although this T3 ain't perfect either, maybe it has a bit softer mid but still a lot better then Bose.

My personal favorite would be Edifier or Klipsch, but there aren't any good models available in his place. Well i checked Scan, Dabs and PCworld.

edit: they have Edifier @ overclockers. co .uk though

and its a special deal (this week only) :D

http://www.over clockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-006-ER&groupid=702&catid=22&subcat=1920

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    The Corsair's are expensive but the reviews I have seen are all very complimentary. I wonder though, is the card and speakers a reasonable match or should I be looking at a more expensive card?

The Edifier S530 system looks very nice. What would be the reasons for choosing between the Corsair and Edifier?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I can't speak about the Edifier's because I've never owned (or heard) them nor have I used that sound card. Although I've heard many great things about both.

As to the Corsair SP2500 speakers, I can tell you my experience because they are what I'm using now along with a Titanium HD card. These speakers are by far the best "PC speakers" I've ever used, without a doubt. Better than any Creative, Bose, Altec Lansing, Logitech, Klipsch, or any of the many others I've tried or owned. Again, this is only in regards to speaker systems designed for PC use. They will not be as good as say, a higher quality set of bookshelf speakers. But they will be very good nonetheless, and more than likely a lot cheaper. Especially if you had to get a sub-woofer too. They are great for music, gaming and movies. They can get pretty loud too, if needed. You should be able to get them a lot cheaper now then when they first came out as well. As for the sound card, I think it would be a great match for these speakers.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Edefier is build on quality, but its not so loud like that Corsair (woofer RMS).

Although Edifier S730 is louder, but costs a lot more. I think 300+ quid xD

As for Sb i never owned Asus either, but i prefer XFI because of extra eax effects and ASIO support.

8. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Unless you're looking for perfection, the original items you asked about seem like they'd be just fine.
    The corsair speakers are truely great (insert generic "pc speakers" line here).
    If you're comfortable with the prices, I'd say, "Why not?"

9. AllTech

AllTech Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680
    I am currently using a set of Klipsch Promedia and absolutely swear by them. Most amazing sound ever from a 2.1 setup. Now, I have heard the Corsair at Microcenter using onboard and must say impressive setup. Especially considering acoustics of a store compared to your room.
    I also use an ASUS DX card and have been happy ever since moving on from creative.

Game on!

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Looks like my choices are ok. I'll push the button later, once I've took my boy for a walk up Mam Tor.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well i would still rather chose X-FI HD over that Asus Xonar, but that's just me :p

Anyhow it will be like night and day in any case, enjoy ^^

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Thanks, ordered from Scan a short while ago. Can't wait! :D

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Unfortunately it will be a few days before I can get these out of the boxes :D

[​IMG]

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Let us know if you run into any difficulty.

15. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    Only thing hes going to run into is me online in BF3 :biggun:

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea and he be the one in the tank ;)

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Many thanks, I may just do that. Be a shame not to get these sounding the best they can.

I have to admit I've never run a dedicated sound card before or paid any close attention to audio. I'm looking forward to getting these setup and enjoying them. Should be like night and day, like has been said here.

18. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    You are in for a real treat then. Looking forward to hearing your opinions on what differences you notice. And trust me, you will notice a difference right from the start, even before you get everything all dialed in and optimal. Good luck and have fun!

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Thanks and I see we have the same speakers. I will post my experiences, i just have to wait a few days because of shifts and daddy daycare! :thumbup:

20. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    To give it a fair comparison, you should try the new speakers on the onboard before installing the Xonar.