New Shadow of the Tomb Raider Patch Available: RTX and DLSS Enabled

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Caesar likes this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    First thing everyone should do when starting the game - make sure those 2 settings are disabled. Dxr barely makes a difference visually, but tanks the fps by more than half, and dlss just makes everything super blurry.

Imo dxr and dlss is a borderline class action lawsuit case...

Caesar likes this.
  3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    How is additional options a class action lawsuit?

Even if only a minority can use them now, it has to start somewhere.

PC gamers are becoming so backwards nowadays.

4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have been waiting for this can almost start playing the game pretty sure it will need another patch

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Because it has been used as the main selling point for the 2000 series gpus, and fact is that it runs and looks so bad that no one ought to use it. Especially dlss is decidedly a scam... they claim that 4k with dlss looks as good as native 4k, but the reality is that it looks like what it is... upscaling from 1440p. And the sad part is that the performance boost is only equivalent to upscaling from 1800p.

6. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    useless its just marketing crap

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. zainag

zainag Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Do you even have an RTX card? Have you actually played an RTX enabled game like Metro Exodus with the latest patch?
    If you play at 1440p DLSS (like I have) you're gonna have a hard time telling the difference in quality. The only way you'll know DLSS is working is that you're gonna see 20-25% boost on your framerates which is pretty damn nice.

Also, who is forcing people to by NVIDIA RTX cards with gross misinformation that you think a class action is warranted?

Xtreme1979 likes this.
  8. t2fighters

t2fighters Guest

GPU:
    MSI rx480 Gaming x 8gb
    I believe nvidia is playing with us
    If this is RTX then I am the pope

Silva and Dragam1337 like this.
  9. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Ray tracing in Metro makes a pretty significant difference in lighting. Yea it comes at a cost but I play it fine with a 2080 Ti QHD and it looks amazing. DLSS doesn't just make everything blurry. It could be better but in Metro it keeps things close to you looking much the same while distance objects could use some help. When you're actually playing the game and not looking for differences DLSS in Metro isn't all that bad. It certainly needs to get better though. I really think you are just following some things you read or watched and are regurgitating it.

How are DXR and DLSS even close to borderline class action lawsuit? They do what they claim to do. Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean there are any grounds for lawsuit.

Xtreme1979 and Ridiric like this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    No, i don't buy anything based on nvidia's empty promises - i do have a functioning brain after all.

But i don't need to own one to see the difference it makes to clarity in games... it's a blurry mess with DLSS.

REMOVED VIDEOS

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, that's a poor implementation of ray tracing. A few shadows around the kids, the woman doesn't have much light on her, and some extra light on the floor.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  12. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Exactly! I think Metro is amazing with RTX. It really makes a game like that much more immersive. DLSS helps performance nicely. It could look better but overall it is decent in that title. You can see areas where it struggles but overall its pretty good especially on close objects and not distant ones. Nvidia will likely improve on DLSS over time. Like any newer tech it's not perfect.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You do realize that you would get better performance aswell as better visuals by just setting render res to 80% and disabling DLSS? That says something about how badly it works.

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Again, it's backwards thinking claiming additional options are a bad thing.

This is just another example of modern thinking. I don't like something, therefore no-one else should and it should be banned.

Aura89 and Ridiric like this.
  15. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    So it took them 6 months to do what exactly? still runs horribly....

Dragam1337 likes this.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Dlss is false advertising, simple as that. They claim that it looks as good as native 4k, it doesn't. It looks like upscaling from 1440p, like it is, and only performs like upscaling from 1800p. In other words anyone buying the 2000 series for dlss (which has been nvidias main selling point together with dxr) has been misslead. They are better off just using traditional upscaling.

17. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I think DLSS is very promising but raytracing on the other hand is not a game changer yet it tanks frame rate like it was.

dlss is not false advertising because it isn't pure upscale mechanism, it does much more than that
    there were some parts of the game (metro exo) not touched by dlss when it was ON, the way it is reducing pixels is not upscale, there were of course some parts of the "stairs" pixels make but not often and could improve with a driver update - just more samples.

[​IMG]

unfinished state of that shows us spiders web not filtered properly just upscaled

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Again, it's an optional extra and the people i know with RTX cards are quite enthusiastic about they know it's not quite a simple as just upscaling.

Let's just wait and see if any lawsuits appear, seems unlikely when we've had things like DX12 etc.. over the years.

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You guys keep blabbing about metro, i haven't once mentioned that game.

The videos doing comparisons i linked are done in bf5, which is working as intended and looks BAD.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Okay we get it - you hate DLSS and RTX based on a game that this thread isn't about. How many posts are you going to make about it being a scam and whatnot?

fantaskarsef and Ridiric like this.