New Setup and help needed(i7 or 2 quad?)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sakis213, Feb 10, 2009.

1. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    Hello

I will build a new system which am gonna use it mostly for rendering
    I choose some components and i want your opinions

Cpu: I7 940 2.93ghz
    Ram: Ocz 3*2gb 1600mhz
    M/b: Asus P6T Deluxe
    Case: Lian Li P80
    Psu: I have already

Currently i own 2 8800gtx and am still thinking to upgrade to a gtx295, I will see increase in rendering times or a gtx285 will be a wiser choice?

I will buy also two sata 2 500gb with 32mb cache and setup in raid 0 mode

Consideration

A friend of mine told me to buy a m/b that supports 2 cpu and install 2 quads(q9550), this build will outperform the i7 system?

Thanks in advance

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    what res are u gonna use?

so far the 295 is great but i havent tested it with a new title..i'll let u know what i think in a few days. i think some games are working great some no so great.

i was very much in 2 minds as 2 295/285. one will run quieter and cooler thats for sure. although the 295 isnt as noisy as you would think.

i think a corei7 920 cpu is enough. no need for the 940. save yourself some cash.

asus, gigabyte, dfi are boards i'd go for. currently gigabyte in uk is the cheapest (although it wont do sli..1 is only xfire). but i think with a 285/295 core i7 thats plenty.

3. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    Currently am using 1680*1050 maybe after few months switch to 24''

But the difference in price between the gtx285 and 295 it's few dollars, and with 295 you get 2 gpus, i never had single card with 2 gpus and if it's only like the performance in sli appx 30%boost i will co for a single Gpu

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well try and get some feedback from 285 owners. seemed like most went for the 295.

running furmark with 685 core linked am averaging 120fps. so in terms of raw power the 295 is a beast it basically comes down to how well the game/app you are running is optimised to make use of it.

unlocking the fps in cod w@w i saw 200fps (albeit in a tunnel). i do think atm i took a bit of a risk on this card...only time will tell.

the new gpu tuner will allow u 2 push a 285 even higher so perhaps this is the safer option to go for. (less heat...therefore u wont need to turn the fan up as much when ocing). thats one thing i miss about my 260...was very cool and solid performer.

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    By rendering, do you mean a movie rendering like animation or just gaming?

If it's CPU intensive, having two physical processor may benefit you. However, if you're going gaming, that'd be overkill.

deltatux

6. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    Just to clear up some misconceptions by the OP, there is no such thing as a dual Core 2 Quad Q9550 computer. Core 2 Quad is socket 775 and is single socket only. For a dual socketed Core 2 Quad based computer, you have to look to Xeon on socket 771. They are basicly the same silicon, so performance is roughly the same as Core 2 Quad, at the CPU level anyway (memory performance is another matter, covered below).

Dual Xeons are only useful to rendering if your rendering software is highly threaded. And even then, the ram needed for dual Xeons is very expensive and a bit slower then desktop ram. FBDIMM ram used by current Xeons is still DDR2 (registered version), but maxes out at an official 667mhz and it's extremely rare to see any Xeon boards that support 800mhz DDR2 FBDIMMs.

The Core i7 path would be much cheaper, and alot faster for many tasks then the dual Xeons will be. Only extremely threaded renders will benefit from the duals, minimally threaded renders will perform better on the i7 since memory performance is leaps and bounds higher.

7. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    By rendering i mean animation, 3dsmax and maya, also am not interesting on overclocking. Between i7 920 and 940 i will not see real difference

I made a research of xeon cpus and are very expensive and i will need both so am going for the i7 , but now about the gfx? 2gpus really make that's difference?

8. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    Not for professional rendering it doesn't. 3Dsmax is very CPU intensive. Instead of looking to Geforce or Radeon, you should consider looking at cards made for professional 3D rendering, Quadro and FireGL. They are essentially the same chips as their desktop versions (Quadro = Geforce, FireGL = Radeon) but are highly optimized for professional graphics as opposed to gaming.

9. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    ^ or get the desktop versions and do a bios flash to the workstation card to save $1000s of dollars

10. GregM

GregM Member Guru

GPU:
    ES BBA HD4870 512mb
    That only works on some Geforce cards. And it's a sure way to kill warranty if the card ever becomes unbootable and unreflashable to it's old bios. If you send a Quadro flashed Geforce in for warranty to any manufacturer, they will just ship it right back untouched, IF your lucky.

11. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    The gtx295 it's faster than the 4870x2 right?

Also i did not see any i7 waterblocks, soon will be out?

12. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    it works on ati cards too

13. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    I ask my professor about the gfx and he told me both can handle the amount of rendering data i will throwing at them, and since my budget it's around 500usd i will go for the gtx295 and maybe later when more graphical horsepower needed upgrade to one workstation card on around 1500usd

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  15. Carbon

Carbon Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 C216 H2O
    Not out? Where are you looking? Half the i7 users I know are on water.

16. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    NO VGA CARD IS GOING TO IMPROVE YOUR RENDER TIMES!!

except in some specialty (usually low-quality) renderers, all render work is done by the CPU

your render times will be exactly the same with a 8400GS, a GTX295, or a quadro FX5600

viewport performance, on the other hand, a quadro will help a lot (even one with an incredibly inferior chip)

and also: a dual core2quad will most likely outperform a core i7... but it will also be quite more expensive, and will give you some software headaches (not all renderers support more than 4 threads on a single computer)

the cheapest solution would be to overclock your cpu to 3 GHz: that would give you >85% (edit: only 70-75%) of the performance of the fastest single-cpu (and not-overclocked) rendering machine available right now, at completely zero cost

now, I can't see why you can't be bothered by overclocking, but anyway it's your choice

and if you're not into overclocking, I suppose you're even less interested in VGA soft-modding...

so I guess the best option would be to get a core i7 920 or 940 and pair it with a reasonably-priced quadro (for viewport performance only)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  17. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    just one correction: I was too optimistic in my Q6600 vs i7 expectations: a Q6600@3GHz will only give you around 70% of the rendering performance of a core i7 965 in maya, and 75% in 3dsmax (in maya, a Q6600@3GHz will take 5 minutes to render a scene that an i7@3GHz will render in 3:30; a dual quad-xeon@3GHz would do that in 2:30, if the software is able to access all 8 cores)

maya and 3dsmax render times:
    http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/images/intel-ci7-920/results.xls
    http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/intel-ci7-920-p2.html

3dsmax rendering performance:
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3448&p=17

still, remember, the GPU won't affect your render times!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  18. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    I just got curious and updated my knowledge on GPU rendering...

the thing is: nVIDIA bought mental images a few years back, maybe in order to use raytracing in games, maybe to accelerate pro renders in the GPU, maybe both

a few months back, though, none of these potential sinergies had become real

now, with the latest version of mental ray (the one which ships with maya 2009), it is possible that some GPU acceleration may be used, though only with respect to antialiasing and motion blur
    http://www.mentalimages.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/mental_ray_Functional_Overview.pdf

now, I would have to test these features to see that quality is not compromised, as it was with previous hardware renderers...

and also it's not clear these features will work on geforce cards (even GTX295), as opposed to only working in super-expensive quadros

until I see that, I still think what you need for rendering is a fast CPU (or a rendering farm!!)