New Sapphire 4890 OC 8 Pin Power required?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Camster, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    Hi all,

Yesterday I took out my 8800 GT & installed the Sapphire 4890 OC. It runs at 901/1000 factory settings. I have an Antec 650 watt EarthWatts with 2 PCI-e 6 pin power connectors. This card has a 6 pin & 8 pin socket for juice. I wasn't sure what to do & in the card's box are 2 6 pin adapters :bang:so I figured if thats what they gave me I'll just use my 6 pin ones on the PSU & see if it grenades.:)

The card is installed this way & running fine so far. I haven't noticed any stability issues yet. I played GRID for 2-3 hours last night & it ran like a champ. Grid was the only game on my 8800 GT that my overclock wasn't stable with so I figure its loading the card pretty well.

So my question is I guess, am I supplying too little juice to this card? And what's a good way to test it? If I upgrade to Win 7 soon & I start using more DX 10 stuff could I have stability issues then as the load is added to the card?

I did run that Overdrive thingy to see what kind of overclock the card could handle but I got tired of waiting for it & cancelled it with 961 on the core so far. I have read that sometimes the Overdrive option isn't available if power seems to be any issue somewhere earlier.

But thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Na its cool mine just has 2-6pins the extra 2pins i guess is for more overclocking juice.

3. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I figure its for too. I can't understand why they would give 6 pin adapters with it though. My understanding is that the extra 2 pins are actually additional grounds but I think an 8 pin PCI-e line is capable of supplying ~ 140 watts or so as compared to 75 on a 6 pin. I didn't know if buying an adapter was worth it or actually any better than what I have now.

Anyways I'll run it the way it is.

Edit: Oh & if the 6 pin is in the 8 pin connector is it actually supplying power to the card? Sorry if this is a silly question.

Oh and now I read my 650 has a 6+2 connector as well as 6 pin on it but I never saw it in there so I'm going to look in the case now.

Okay so my 650 Antec actually has a 6+2 PCI-e connector but the extra 2 pin won't go into the socket no how so there is a definite fit issue there for sure. I guess I'll see what happens the way it is so far but it does seem to be working fine.

Thanks,

Cam

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009