1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New SamSung 960 Firmware Update Causes Freezes

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2017.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I assume you are looking at the SSD device driver. Look in the device manager for storage controllers. Under that you should see the Samsung NVMe controller. This is what the Samsung driver installs.

2. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC AC
    Currently running Samsung NVM Express Driver v2.3 with Samsung Magician v5.1.

However Samsung Magician reports my 500GB 960 Pro having the latest 2B6QCXP7 firmware installed!

3. screwtech02

screwtech02 Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 390 8gb x3
    Tried to install the "Samsung" driver, Windows driver from 2006 still showing in device manager.......

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I hope you aren't looking at the 960 in device manager(that's the wrong place)

5. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    I was wondering what was up, this explains why my 960 Pro seems to basically freeze up for periods of time.
    I'll have to investigate if downgrading to the the 2.2 driver version actually helps, because when the issues start the drive is practically unusable, which is obviously really nasty for the whole system.

6. Linkinworm

Linkinworm New Member

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    for those wondering, once you install the Samsung NVME driver you will see the driver under storage controllers and you can confirm this in the magician software, ignore the one under disk drives or other places in the device manager, its just a date code thing, my z370 drivers say its was made in 1968 or something stupid like that, what happens is (to my knowledge) is the Microsoft drivers are loaded and then the Os hands over control to the Samsung drivers at some point during boot but if you see all this then everything is working as it should be don't try update the other MS drivers its pointless.
    [​IMG]

7. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC AC
    Still dont get why my software is telling me im on the latest version when there is clearly a newer firmware out?

https://imgur.com/a/mYl5K
    [​IMG]

8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    960 pro 500gb with latest firmware and drivers(2.3) all running nicely.

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    Mine did until i updated, if you click the refresh button(top left) it should tell you there is new version

10. ChriscomIT

ChriscomIT New Member

GPU:
    2x GTX 580 SC
    AFAIK it was pulled from Samsung update server until further review.

11. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Apparently firmware version 4B6QCXP7 is "released" (on paper) to fix this for 960 Pro, but it's not readily available. There's no standalone download and Magician 5.2 makes it available to users "in waves".

(Frustrating so say the least...)

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Installed here with no issues.
    Granted I didn't have issues before either.

13. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Good to hear that it works! Although I guess it may not mean much in terms of fixing the previous issues if your drive wasn't a freezing mess (not an exaggeration at all) with 3B6QCXP7.

14. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Apparently having to fake being from the US to get the current firmware is a thing with Samsung.
    I saw mentions of using VPNs for this purpose in the massive thread on Samsung's own forums about this whole mess. I gave it a shot, immediately got a notification that there is an update.

15. avinatbezeq

avinatbezeq New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 5800
    I know this is an old thread, but I have the 4B6QCXP7 firmware and my 960 pro 1tb freezes.

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Have you been tracking the temps? Does it have a heat sink?

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh I have evo 960 ssd so guess it dont effect me even if it did I dont have software installed of theose updates on my pc anyway