New ryzen 3600 system issue

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Zogran, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    Ive put together the following system:

Ryzen 3600
    B450 Tomahawk max
    Hyper X 3000 ddr4 ( On the compatible list for this motherboard )
    5600XT red devil powercolor.

Everything is working snappy and fast except for one issue thats driving me nuts.
    Whenever i close a window,edge browser or any app thats windowed it takes several seconds to close.
    Only when i double click the X it closes instantly.
    Cant find anything online.
    Could someone help me out, it just doesnt feel right like this :(

Thanks in advance!

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    If you open the task manager and close/terminate the two overlays for AMD's driver does it still happen?

amdow.exe and AMDRSServ.exe

AMD desktop overlay and the Radeon Settings Server something I think.

I usually just rename them to avoid overlay issues.
    C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext

If that doesn't do a thing there's also stuff like hardware acceleration if it's the web browsers only, Radeon Settings itself and the process for that you could try closing down and see if it works. (It's not without faults either but less than the overlay.)
    Then there's the system bios, AMD's chipset drivers and that whole routine but I'd be checking the GPU stuff first.

EDIT:
    Chipset drivers can be grabbed from AMD's website and should work for any supported motherboard model. :)
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Bios would be from the manufacturer and their website, shouldn't be an issue and hopefully it has AGESA 1.0.0.3 or higher bundled in something fairly recent, also helps memory kit compatibility and other fixes.

EDIT:
    Though I would think this sounds more like the overlay takes a bit of time to leave the process after injecting into everything unless it's some third party software with it's own processes or hooks.

There's a lot of those!

Corsiar iCUE, MSI Nahimic, Razer Synapse and ... lots more. :D

At least troubleshooting is somewhat eased by just closing down the software or process and trying and narrowing down when it stops and that should hopefully be that if it's third party software or such causing it not the OS or main driver suites or bios or anything.

3. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    I Will try all of the above when i get off work tomorrow.

I Will update if i find anything!

Thanks!!

4. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    Well ive been trying all week tot het it to work normally.
    Gonna try one more dat and after that might consider a fresh Windows install.

I removed every app that has An overlay or somerhing like that.

IT seems like a minor issue but its driving me grazyyyy:eek::eek::eek::eek:

5. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    When you install drivers as you re-install the OS, restart after each driver installs, and see when your problem comes back. Then remove said driver if it causes an issue and try a newer or older version that's a few version numbers different.
    There's people on the video card section that offer driver slimmer tools, you can use those and see if that helps, but do uninstall any existing video driver first with Display Driver Uninstaller. It is available on the downloads section. It's very very likely that this is driver-related.
    You could also be running low, or out of VRAM, as it will cause a similar issue (I get that a lot here on my 2070 Super).
    This issue can sometimes be fixed by toggling desktop composition on or off. Try it out. Turn off windows interface effects like fading etc.

When I have stupid issues like that, I pull my main harddrive or ssd that the system is on, clone it, and try messing about with things then. Then when I know what fixed it, I can go back to my original drive and fix it without risking messing-up a bunch of other things too.